Crimpers (yet again)

hi all im after a set of crimps to make servo leads. every post ive looked at and the links there are all out of stock ,its like theres a uk shortage of servo plug cripmers, screw fix do have some others but as im unsure if there suitable am hoping some one can help me , any how merry christmas and and all the very best flying luck forthe up comming season..fly low

Advert

I get all my crimping supplies from Hansen in the USA. They sell tools and proper quantities of connectors, not those packets of 10 found in most UK shops. They are cheap and reliable and are nice people to talk to!

Go here:

(Sorry not yet learnt how to do the link thingy)

Pete

link corrected...

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 27/12/2013 16:36:54

i would of prefered a ratchet set . those ones from hobby king, i set a email reminder must be weeks ago now so god knows when they will have some in . does any one know whats the size or type of crimper it is cos i may get to maplin or bq tomorrow and they cant be specifically for servos ( can they) and they may have some ,peter how you find buying from the usa , i was lead to beleive customs pull your eyes out when bringing over stuff..

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 27/12/2013 16:01:19:

There are these Ben which a few forum-ites have suggested but, yep you've guessed it, out of stock both here & in the HK warehouse so it seems there is a GLOBAL shortage of servo contact crimp tools!!! smile o

Ah yes, sorry about that... that's my fault! I bought the last pair from the HK UK warehouse - literally, the stock level went from 1 to 0 when I ordered mine.

I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they are the ratchet type and have no markings or identification that would let you look elsewhere for the identical article. The packaging they arrive in is branded HobbyKing.

2013-12-27 19.03.54.jpg

Edited By John Privett on 27/12/2013 19:08:49

Sorry Ben, been off line.

I have no problems with ordering from Hansen. They declare the package as 'Minor machine parts' or some similar description if I recall and it does not seem to attract duty.......

it may also be the value of the package which is quite low. Other forumites may have more knowledge on this than me.

Thanks to Steve for sorting my link out. I really must get to grips with technology!

pete

Edited By Peter Ward on 28/12/2013 16:18:14

A further thought. The crimping tool should have jaws which contain shoulders into which the connector fits. Without that you cannot form the crimp like the one in BEB's photo.

if I recall, Tim Mackay did a very good post on crimping a while back. It had a close up photo of the crimping tool jaws and which way round to insert the connector. Guess who was getting it wrong up till then......angry

Pete

My HK crimpers arrived yesterday - they were down to the last 8 when I ordered from the Int Warehouse just before Xmas. Look to be of good quality, too.

If you go to the files section on that link and download the 'A brief discourse...' file, it has been taken from the Hanson site and is a complete instruction file on connectors and using the crimpers.

Pete

Posted by Peter Ward on 28/12/2013 16:17:25:

A further thought. The crimping tool should have jaws which contain shoulders into which the connector fits. Without that you cannot form the crimp like the one in BEB's photo.

if I recall, Tim Mackay did a very good post on crimping a while back. It had a close up photo of the crimping tool jaws and which way round to insert the connector. Guess who was getting it wrong up till then......angry

Pete

HERE

Steve, I think you missed " ready made Ashlock style harnesses" in my post. IE a pair of Ashlock connectors with the servo leads fitted one side and sockets the other. Something like the Powerbox unit but using crimped Ashlocks or similar style plugs and socket.

Why not crimp my own - near sight not so good, dexterity getting worse with fiddly connectors, lack of patience - need I go on? Considering I once made up my own servo amplifiers using discreet components on home etched boards I now find it frustrating trying to handle small components so I'd rather find an off-the-shelf solution.

Bob, sorry about that i did miss those bits. I am not aware of anyone doing those with ashlocks but if you phoned him (or others who do ashlocks) he would probably make them for you as i know he sells wire, servo and socket ends.

I have no connection with him/them other than a happy customer.

Steve