Charger Mk II Biplane

Masher

Just on the off chance, does anybody have a plan for this classic bipe?

I think it was reviewed in June 1991 Radio Control Magazine

I have one to restore and it would be nice to get more information on it

Thanks

Edited By Masher on 02/01/2014 18:20:26

Advert

Well quite a few people have viewed but nobody has responded. I was told that this was a great flyer but having started to strip it down, I see that there is a lot more work than I thought - I think a few repairers have got there before me!

I now have to decide if it's worth saving - anybody any experience with this model?

Percy - difficult to say in public but I think one of the owners is a bit heavy handed with the glue pot!

I will continue I think because it has some character about it which is tempting me to do some work!

Thanks Roger I will see if I can get a plan. Plans aren't strictly necessary since the plane isn't in that bad a state, it's mostly the engineer in me - I like to have a plan and the documentation.

Thanks

Actually Roger, just checked and the plans are not the Walt Moucha version

Edited By Masher on 03/01/2014 16:44:13

Not mine but I've found 2 more pics on the web:

challenger_ii_biplane_02.jpg

challenger_ii_biplane_04.jpg

This is definitely the version I've got. Bit like a Flair kit in construction - ply sides at front and (flimsy) oil rig at rear.

These pics will help me quite a bit

Edited By Masher on 03/01/2014 21:34:42

Well I've started and hope to finish so here are a few photos of my model.

Fuse is now under control:

dscf0190.jpg

Quite pleased with my planking of the top deck:

dscf0192.jpg

And here is a staged complete view, held together with bands and a pair of Val's old knickers:

dscf0194.jpg

Ready for Ebay - " I don't know anything about remote control planes but I was reliably informed from some bloke who is an expert that this plane just needs your Rx and Tx and is then ready to go"

dscf0195.jpg

Comes complete with all necessary accessories:

dscf0198.jpg

On a serious note, please can somebody explain what's going on with the copper pipe around the silencer?

dscf0200.jpg

Not easy to show it but copper tube goes round the body and into the exhaust outlet port. Is it something to do with a smoke system?

dscf0201.jpg

Edited By Masher on 05/01/2014 10:54:42

I've decided to make this a mini-blog so here's some progress. Terrible weather so no flying but plenty of workshop time.

Fuselage completed except for fitting out and now re-covered:

dscf0205.jpg

Top wing stripped, repaired and covered:

dscf0208.jpg

Bottom wing stripped, repaired and will be covered tonight:

dscf0210_2.jpg

Splashed out and ordered some decals from model markings - these may be helpful in covering up some of the joins!

Just convincing myself to do the aileron hinges with Oracover. Seems best way is to do a bottom hinge with solartex then do top & bottom with final covering which is Oracover/Profilm

Edited By Masher on 09/01/2014 16:32:15

Edited By Masher on 09/01/2014 16:37:36

Little bit of progress but fell behind covering bottom wing. Concentrating so hard on getting the ailerons hinged properly with two stage - solartex strip followed by main Oracover covering, managed to get ailerons on upside down! Stripped the lot off and tried again. Not quite as bad as the time that I did a major repair on my WOT 4 Foam-E and glued the back end of the fuse on upside down - mind you it was nice and square!

This Charger, in my opinion, is looking quite good now. Still a bit "naked" but I have some decals and can add decoration later:

front 34.jpg

And another view:

34 view.jpg

Not sure about these interplane struts???

interplane.jpg

Engine started immediately after a good clean, especially the carb assembly:

engine.jpg

All the fiddly fitting out to do now but I'm looking forward to getting this one to the field!