Bertie Bassett Flying Flea

reg shaw

Cheers Tim, it will be assembleable for Sunday as it is due to sit on the flightline at Halfpenny Green, alongside the other 1/2 scale Flea and the 1/2 scale Luton Minor. I'm guessing that if I can keep at it and not get distracted by something else that it could be flyable in silver a couple of weeks after. I'll do the paintjob after it has flown, no point spending ages on the paintwork only to sweep it up if it don't work!!

Ian.

Thanks Martian, its getting nearer to the end! Got a fair bit more done. Bertie now has a joystick which moves the controls, what little there are. No rudder pedals on a Flea, the joystick does the rudder and the front wing incidence, apart from the throttle thats all you get, simples. Finished the wing cranks, associated bushes and the pulley mounts and fixings. On the real one, the wing cranks run in a waxed hole in the wooden fuselage sides, remember the blocks built into the sides right at the start? This I wasn't happy with as any slop on the real one could be 'felt' if you are sat in it, but on the model this physical attachment isn't there to my thumbs so I wanted it to be and stay completely slop free. Brass tube bushes were made up with a lug on the outside of the fuselage. This also has the advantage that the joystick and crossbar can be removed for servicing. Simply unbolt the cranks on the outside, remove a screw in the bush and remove the bush from each side. This then allows the crossbar a bit of slop in the holes so that it can be pushed to one side, the pulled back the other way and out of the bottom, a pic would explain far batter than my ramblings!! Engine position is finalised and the front wing mounting tube fixings sorted, which has then allowed the rigging of the beast to start, so guess what, it now assembles and can sit there all by itself! The rigging is bicycle brake cables into turnbuckles. I remade one end of each turnbuckle to have a forkend for attachment to the fuselage. More cables to add yet, but its looking surprisingly square already!

Ian.

dscf2723.jpg

dscf2724.jpg

dscf2726.jpg

dscf2730.jpg

dscf2729.jpg

Cheers again folks, I'll be at Halfpenny Green from about 9 onwards, unless I go the night before. At the moment though, the weather looks a bit pants for weekend over there no

Covered the rudder again with non shrinking this time, its perfectly flat now, but it was the last time too!!!

Ian.

dscf2737.jpg

Got the rudder stitched, taped and the doping started. The tapes are added with shrinking dope, then the lot doped with non shrinking. Two coats so far and it seems to have filled the weave already, perhaps move onto silver dope $%& The non shrinking option seems to have worked as the rudder is still very flat, but time will tell, its such a thin, large flat surface that I imagine it will warp in time, the full size edges were all over the place.

Also, recovering the rudder gave me the opportunity to put the stitching on from the correct side this time, I'd started on the wrong side last time but kept schtum :'' ;D

Ian.

dscf2741.jpg

dscf2743.jpg

dscf2745.jpg

dscf2746.jpg

Nearly a whole bleedin' day to rib stitch the main wing. Blimey!! Still, I was sat there doing nowt else but watching the British Touring Car Champs at Donington on telly. Because of the depth of wing section, I've used miles of thread. To stitch one rib takes about 4 times the wing chord length. The black ink circles in one pic is where the reinforcing patches need doping on where the fuel pipe fitting pass through the bottom fabric covering.

Ian.

dscf2747.jpg

dscf2749.jpg

dscf2750.jpg

Martian, the covering is stitched for two reasons, both quite important. First is that it stays attached to the undercambered undersides and reflexed topsides better, secondly and nearly as important is that the real one was stitched. Got 7 more ribs to stitch and its tape and dope o'clock!

Ian

All stitching done, taping starts tonight. Also have made a foolish commitment to have the Flea flightworthy in within two weeks! It certainly won't be painted though. I'm going back to a site that weekend to test some other stuff so it'd be a perfect place to do some test hops to get the front wing trimmed. Lots to do before then, the list includes install all radio and linkages to servo's, including throttle and choke which is my pet hate in modelling, why I don't fly just gliders is beyond me!! The biggest job I can think of is to make the metal work at the front end for the front engine mount and the front flying wire mount. Let the challenge begin, if I don't get it done for there then its tough, but it'll be worth a shot!

Ian.

Cheers for that Steve, but rest assured I won't be rushing as such, just concentrating my available efforts! Like I said, if it isn't done it isn't, it'd just be nice if it were, then I have time to get the detailing and paintwork sorted once I know it works. I find that in my shed I get distracted by other projects, you can see some of them in the Flea pics!! Rear wing has its ribs taped, still needs the perimeter and bracketry tapes yet. Then yet more dope....

Ian.

dscf2753.jpg

dscf2752.jpg

Cheers Tonyyes

got the main wing topsides taped, then the tank outlet holes reinforced ready for the tanks to go in and sealed up, hopefully never to be seen again!! The holes were reinforced using 2 sizes of fibre washer for each hole. Process is, mark the hole accurately, then from the inside, apply adhesive, then the smaller washer, then the fabric patch, then the larger washer which I held in place with a stanley blade on the inside and a magnet on the outsides to squash it all together till the dope adhesive goes off. The larger washers inside diameter is bigger than the outer diameter of the inner washer. The pictures are a bit p00 but you get the idea hopefully. I ran out of 1" rib tapes but luckily the other Flea workshop has yielded some leftovers. Hopefully now, if ever I need to see the tanks again, Its just a case of ripping the top cover patch of and doping on another, without the need to disturb the stitching etc.

Ian.

dscf2758.jpg

dscf2756.jpg

dscf2754.jpg

Thanks Kieran, it's not far away, we'll see!!

Got the front end structure finished, and had a thunk about the radiator. It obviously needs to be as free flowing as possible, but I don't want it to be a window through which a Zenoah admires the view so I thought about making it from that Correx stuff that odd folk make aeroplanes out of. First few strips, 15mm wide were disappointing as it was far too see through. But then I cut some more at 45 degrees to the 'grain'. Seems to work a treat, anywhere in the range of head on and above, plus anywhere from the side its completely non see Zenoah through, but from the other angle it is see through pretty much. I know it will be draggy but the radiator core is 6" x 5", plus some free air gap round the sides so it looks promising. Also, with the 45 degree deflection, it all gets pointed towards the Zenoah. :xx I'll be baffling behind the radiator too, so anything that gets through will be doing work. When laying the strips out, every 8th one is backwards so at certain angles you see the five thin stripes like in the full size pic. Also, the 4mm ball joints turned up, just the job :af so made up the pushrods from 4mm threaded rod which are just a bit short :study: but I may only use some for the ends soldered into tube perhaps.

Ian.

dscf2760.jpg

dscf2771.jpg

dscf2772.jpg

dscf2777.jpg

dscf2778.jpg

While assembled I took some (more!!) pics but tried to pose the Flea to match the original pics I have to see how close I've got, or not got as the case may be! I'm actually quite pleased and will certainly do the posing thing again when the model is finished.

Ian.

dscf2781.jpgbassetts flea4.jpg

dscf2783.jpgdscf2784.jpg