Bertie Bassett Flying Flea

reg shaw

Eventually, finished the T sectioned outlines and the gussetty bits etc on the rear wing. I counted up the bits and there's just under 200 bits of tree that make up the rear wing, front wing is the same but more ribs, 14 bits to each rib. I will never tire of looking at the curves in a Flying Flea wing, almost sculptural!

Ian.

dscf2335.jpg

dscf2336.jpg

dscf2339.jpg

dscf2340.jpg

dscf2342.jpg

With the wings structurally nearly there, I need to start thinking about the tripod that holds the main wing up from the fuselage. So, to do that I had to get the engine mounting sorted since the front leg of the tripod attaches to the Carden cylinder head. The Zenoah will go underneath, directly inverted will make an easier installation, exhaust and linkage wise. But, if I go down this route, the ignition gubbins makes an appearance from the side of the crankcase. If the Zenoah is oiked over a bit, the exhaust is much more difficult and the mountings etc are all more complicated. $%& I really think I already know what I'm going to do but......

There will be a steel firewall welded in place, along with a 'floor in the dummy engine for the silencer box, probably baffled but don't know how yet, two mounting bolts will be 'tubed' as they are inside the exhaust, and the crank end will probably be half tubed to keep it out of the exhaust box.

We'll see :-\

Ian.

dscf2343.jpg

dscf2347.jpg

dscf2353.jpg

dscf2356.jpg

I'm nearly at the stage that all woodwork is completed, just some gussets to add to the main wing spar and leading edge. Started work making the tripod structure that holds the front wing up, 10mm steel tube and 1mm steel plates and bolts etc. I also have just received notification that my Skycraft order should be with me tomorrow. This is for the finishing materials, Diatex, rib tapes, Diatex adhesive, rib stitching thread, clear shrinking dope and silver non shrinking dope so the covering can begin soonish. Pics later hopefully.

Ian.

Have you got more info Steve? I have half a dozen pics of varying quality. They do prove that the artwork was symmetrical and that the registration lettering was on the top of the front wing and on the bottom of the rear wing. The undersides of the main wing had Bertie Bassett written across the span. Also, it appears that the registrati on the fuselage was done before the artwork as some images show an almost 'ghosted' outline. I'm pretty sure of the colours from looking back at the colouring of the sweets of the period, though there is one odd liquorice sweet which I can't find details on. I would love to know who painted it, it has been rumoured that it was Heath Robinson but it has still to be confirmed. He definately painted another aeroplane, a BAC Drone, with a very striking Dragon scheme. Any info we can share would be great!!

Ian.

bac_drone.jpg

drone.jpg

That link made me smile, cheers for that!! Got the covering materials today, lovely smelly stuff it is too!! The silver appears to be a beautiful colour, not too silvery or sparkly. Mignet suggests in the book to take a picture of the whole Flea assembled before covering and post a copy to him. Well he obviously aint around anymore so it'll have to be posted here instead. Early finish at work tomorrow so if its fine I'll get a pic, then covering can begin, rudder first as its the smallest bit to recover when I knacker it up!!

Ian.

I'm interested too mate, I've never used coloured dope for the final colour before so its going to be a bit of a learning curve for me, spray or brush the final coats, and how many coats of clear dope before the silver, we'll see!

These next pics aint a lot different to the last, apart from the front wing is finished and the tripod is installed. Still propped up on sticks though as there isn't anything else but the cables and incidence control rods! The por little Flea is hiding outside my workshop, huddled between the car and the trailer as the wind was making it fly even without the covering!!

Ian.

dscf2397.jpg

dscf2398.jpg

dscf2395.jpg

dscf2400.jpg

Hi Plummet, when I first started researching Bertie's Flea I did contact the company who had never seen or even heard of the Bassett's Flea and it was them who said that the Bertie on the rudder is a rare incarnation of him as he was only like that for a short while. They expressed an interest in having the model if it didn't work and survived!!

I might give them another try though as it has been a few years since I started my research.

Ian.

Posted by reg shaw on 19/02/2014 23:22:04:

Have you got more info Steve? I have half a dozen pics of varying quality. They do prove that the artwork was symmetrical and that the registration lettering was on the top of the front wing and on the bottom of the rear wing. The undersides of the main wing had Bertie Bassett written across the span. Also, it appears that the registrati on the fuselage was done before the artwork as some images show an almost 'ghosted' outline. I'm pretty sure of the colours from looking back at the colouring of the sweets of the period, though there is one odd liquorice sweet which I can't find details on. I would love to know who painted it, it has been rumoured that it was Heath Robinson but it has still to be confirmed. He definately painted another aeroplane, a BAC Drone, with a very striking Dragon scheme. Any info we can share would be great!!

Ian.

I have just found this that seems to confirm Heath Robinson as the painter, but not of the Flea

**LINK**

Plummet

Got some covering on a rudder. Being a bloke, I've never read any instructions for the Diatex adhesive. I painted the adhesive round the outlines, then once dry which was virtually straight away, used heat to fasten the fabric on. This obviously isn't what is on the instructions as it didn't work! So, I softened the adhesive through the fabric with cellulose thinners and smoothed and ironed the fabric on around the edges. Once the outlines were sealed, the return was stuck down and trimmed neatly. Then, more adhesive was painted on and the other side attached. I deliberately didn't stick to the ribs since I didn't want the fabric pulling the ribs out of line when shrunk. Tighten the fabric and start the rib stitching. Mignets book says every 80mm, so using a calculator I skillfully worked out that mine needed to be 40mm.

Ian.

dscf2401.jpg

dscf2403.jpg

dscf2406.jpg

Fabulous stuff smile p Makes me want to leap in the car and come and sit in the corner and watch wink 2

No tapes to stop the holes pulling Ian?

So how are you supposed to stick it down? Does it shrink with heat?

Is it airtight straight off the roll, I presume not as you are talking about doping?

Sorry for all the qustions matey embarrassed

Cheers

Danny

PS welcome to the "spend more time blogging than building club"

Posted by Danny Fenton on 21/02/2014 22:18:47:

Fabulous stuff smile p Makes me want to leap in the car and come and sit in the corner and watch wink 2

No tapes to stop the holes pulling Ian?

So how are you supposed to stick it down? Does it shrink with heat?

Is it airtight straight off the roll, I presume not as you are talking about doping?

Sorry for all the qustions matey embarrassed

Cheers

Danny

PS welcome to the "spend more time blogging than building club"

Hi Danny, after the stitching, there is a 1" wide tape to go on. Not till the first coat of dope dope though as this will glue the ribs and stitching in place. Once the tapes are on the dope mix changes to have talc in it, this makes the fabric airtight. Then, the dope changes again to the non shrinking silver dope which forms the final basecoat. This fabric shrinks incredibly with heat, seemingly much more than 'tex and because it is just fabric ie. no adhesives or colouring etc, it much more flexible and goes round corners a treat.

Ian.

Sorry Ian I guess it depends on terminology, I was meaning reinforcing tape, the stiff strip that protects the fabric and the needle holes tearing, the stitches go either side. the pinked tape then goes over the reinforcing tape, stitching etc.

Really must have a bash at this. Where did you get the materials, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

Danny