Bertie Bassett Flying Flea

reg shaw

Once the spar capping was on the hinges could be sorted. Cut and folded from 1mm steel sheet. I made them originally in .5mm but they seemed a bit on the light side for such a big surface. The rudder is 26" tall and 23" chord. At the other end of the fuselage, all of 4 ft away, I drew up the plans for the dummy engine, old style with paper and everything, then set about making the main engine block in 1mm steel. This might sound a bit on the strong side but considering this block will not only be the Zenoah engine mount, but a strut to the top of it holds the main wing pylon in position, so it needs to be pretty sturdy. This dummy is planned to be held in place using the four bolt fixing of the full size Carden Ford engine. I'll get some pics later.

Ian.

dscf2125.jpg

dscf2128.jpg

dscf2129.jpg

My best mate, Michael Harker, who held a private pilot's licence, took up aeromodelling a year or so before he died of leukemia in 2002. I urged him to build a conventional trainer but that was not Michael, it had to be a Flying Flea! He died before he completed it. I've got most of the bits upstairs in the loft. One day I'll finish it off.

Last October I went to SAM 35's meeting at Cocklebarrow. I was standing on the flight line next to a chap flying an electric powered Flying Flea, beautifully finished in white with red trim. He must have been impressed by my flying because the engine on my Super 60 cut and I managed to land the model on the patch. Once I'd retrieved my model he gave me a go with his. Knowing its reputation I only flew gentle horizontal figures of eight but it went where I put it. Impressed!

Boy it still amazes me just how many people assume that Flying fleas are just accidents waiting to happen .

The fact is the design was to make the simplest and easiest plane to fly . And that is just what they are , they practically fly themselves .

In fact i have a Free flight Flying Flea that does just that , from taking off and landing by it`s self .

.....and the Zenoah will mount something like this. Originally the thought was to fit a conventional former in the fuselage to mount the Zenoah to, the the Carden sitting over it, but it'd be a pain to install and set up the linkages and connect the exhaust etc, this way, if it works out, everything can be set up and the kit and caboodle bolted to the airframe in one go. We'll see!

Ian.

dscf2191.jpg

dscf2194.jpg

Hi Ian ,

I have found that the Rudder is the Biggest problem , Over control of it can cause a kind of barrel roll , also over powering it too much .

So the trick is to gently allow the power to increase and let the plane lift from the ground by it`s self and not to yank up in , to get off the ground or it will not end up a pretty sight at all .

As you probable already know power equals height so , if it does not rise from the ground off it`s own accord then there is probable something wrong .

But so long as CoG , thrust lines wing angles are all working in harmony they are very relaxing to fly .

My pursuits in this are on a very tiny scale to yours and i have designed one of my own which has proved that when setup correctly they can be very forgiving and easy to fly and when pushed can do loops .

Cheers Steve ,

Ps loving you're build .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 04/01/2014 14:18:19

36 rib 2.jpg36 rib.jpgHello Ian,

Really love what you are doing with the Flea, can't wait to see it finished. I'm a bit of a Flea nut myself and thought you might be interested in a couple of very good websites on the Flea. I'll try and get a link to them and add a couple of photos.

pouguide.org is a French site, just use a translator to get the gist

nestofdragons.net is a Dutch site, but in english and gives you the history on the different models.

They give you all the info that you need to make a safe Flea e.g

NACA 23012 airfoil

c.g at 25% of the total chord

No wing overlap

Rear wing incidence 6 deg

Main wing incidence 0 - 12 deg maxragot 14.jpg**LINK**

Regards, Kieran

**LINK**

**LINK**

The Carden continues. The sidevalve car engine has a cast iron head, but Carden made a new aluminium one with twin plug 'oles and a large 'extra' bit sticking up on top. This is presumably for extra surface area for the cooling system, or perhaps even this does away with the need for a header tank? Or it might even be because there is no water pump. Hot water rises so the bigger the difference between the top of the engine and the bottom of the radiator then the better the cooling system flows.

Since this head is going to be the top of the exhaust, it canny be glassfibre or wood so I thought I'd give aluminium casting a shot. Never done it before but had lots of scrap ali castings available so thought I'd be worth a go. The master was made from MDF with washers glued on at the head bolt positions, filleted in with car filler. The plug holes are indented as they are on my Austin sidevalve head. There's another filleted washer at the top for the water filler cap seating. I really must apologise for the quality of the pics, but finding space to take decent pics is hard at the moment. The ali was cast into a crude oil sand mould, it should clean up OK but I can always do another now I know it works!

Ian.

dscf2200.jpg

dscf2202.jpg

dscf2204.jpg

dscf2205.jpg

dscf2206.jpg

Its basically sand and its a bit oily! Used for sand casting. Normal sand is a definate no no as it can retain moisture. Moisture and molten metal is not a good idea as it can almost be likened to an explosion. The moisture turns to steam and blows the molten metal and hot sand all over. No spitting at all with oil sand. Like I said it was my first go and the shape of the head is a bit tricky since its deep and straight sided. Getting the master out of the sand took a few of goes till it came out clean (ish) I'm hooked and am now constantly thinking of things to cast!!

Ian.

Brilliant, thanks for that Ian. If you want to chat to someone that casts all sorts of weird stuff in brass, bronze etc check out my facebook chum Simon Hawkes. He has just posted pics of some sculptures he has cast in bronze he is a clever chap too, he also makes exotic alloy car panels on his English wheel
Cheers
Danny

Reg, that's fantastic, congratulations. Just one observation though about risks you refer to with sand, you're absolutely right to mention that and what you are doing is less risky.

The place I first worked at about fifty years ago used to cast Zinc anodes for electro-plating from the ingot, among many other things. Casters used to pour the molten metal from a hand-held ladle into a vertically split steel mould. One day doing the first cast, one of our guys had an explosion which blew the molten metal back into his face and he lost both eyes, as well as suffering other severe facial burns. The cause was identified as condensation in the mould caused by inadequate pre-heating. Although past retirement age, I still do some work with the firm I've been with since 1976, still with molten metal. Even now, I am very aware just how violently molten non-ferrous metals can blow back for the slightest reason. Anyone wanting to experiment should not be discouraged and certainly not by me, I might do it myself, but you can't over-emphasise the care that must be taken with even small volumes of molten metals. Also proper molten-metal specific eye-protection is essential, any old safety glasses or goggles just won't do.

I've dealt with a number of serious molten metal burn accidents including as a witness at an inquest, so I hope you will understand why I felt I should make a comment. I've got two skin-grafts myself.

Cheers for that Simon, confirmation indeed. No updates as yet as its busy at skool with final projects and the likes that seems to take up my Flea time.

Ref. the header, the mod (Mr Bott, the lovely man) was on the case in quick fashion Danny, he'd been in touch even before I'd seen your post!!!

Ian.

Edited By reg shaw on 13/01/2014 17:36:59