Bertie Bassett Flying Flea

reg shaw

Cheers Stephen, some good info on there!

Had some more Flea time today, made up the main spar for the 2m span rear wing, only to find out that the timber I'd used to make it was only 1.8m long!!!! I foolishly believed my brain when it thought the spars were long enough. So I had to take them all apart and scarf joint some new spars. The 'used' ones will be ripped down for the thinner strips to make up the leading and trailing edge outlines. I'll get some pics when I remember to take the camera!! The spars are 30mm x 6mm, laid flat for the top and bottom spars. Hardwood blocks separate them at the rigging and mounting points. They are also tapered in both plan and front views, but a pic would say a thousand words!!!!

Ian.

Here's a few pics of the 'right' spars!! All scarf jointed in the middle, then with hardwood blocks at the rigging and mounting points. The book shows how to get the correct curves to the spar, a bit like stringing a bow, then by pulling a straight thread tip to tip you can measure at set points to ensure the curve is right, and more importantly, the same both sides!

Ian.

dscf2243.jpg

dscf2246.jpg

practical mechanics flea10.jpg

dscf2247.jpg

dscf2248.jpg

dscf2249.jpg

I've made a start on the ply sheeting front and back of the spars, plus machined up the wood for the rear spars (much simpler) and the leading and trailing edges. These are made up from three layers of 7 x 3mm, two laminated go on first, then another end on for the outermost bits, just to ensure I get that nasty pointy edged wing section I so desired for Flea like performance!!

Ian.

Had some more time to complete the rear wing main spar so the rib threading can begin. Back in the 30's, many builders used the services of several small companies making parts for Fleas, either as finished components or kits etc. I did the same and used a set of ribs from Tony Hill and Son, who supplied me with a set of ribs, lazy beggars left all the holes for me to cut out though!!! Oddly enough, there was a company back then called T Hill and Son that supplied parts, a finished rear wing was 4 Pounds!!

More later hopefully.

Ian.

dscf2261.jpg

dscf2262.jpg

dscf2263.jpg

dscf2264.jpg

practical mechanics flea advert.jpg

Back to the spars again though, I found a discrepancy in the book regarding the blocks for the flying wires on the front and rear main spars. Fleas, when transported by road etc. could have the rear wing bolted to the top of the top wing and the whole lot rotated 90 degrees to minimise the width. They were bolted together using these blocks in the spars for anchorage. The writing in the book says to put the blocks in the same place on both spars for this purpose, but the drawings show the font spar blocks at 2.6m spacing, the rear at 2m spacing. You'd need some fair dogleg bolts to get them to line up huh!!! When I made mine, I layed the spars in 'transport' position and marked where the other blocks need to go, so hopefully............

Ian.

practical mechanics flea8web.jpg

dscf2246.jpg

Edited By reg shaw on 02/02/2014 09:47:42

Cheers Cymaz, an interesting site and saved!

Got the front spar all sheeted up tonight so next job is to splice up and laminate the rear spars. These are simply two bits glued together to match the bottom curve of the front pair of spars, since the bottom edge of the ribs sit against the bottoms of all spars, simples.

Ian.

That'd be telling chaps!!!

I'll post something on those in a bit.

I appear to have a pair of wing shaped things, at least as close to wing shaped things as Flea wings ever get!

Outlines next, made up from three laminations of 6 x 3mm hardwood, two face to face and the outer end on.

Ian.

dscf2301.jpg

dscf2303.jpg

dscf2309.jpg

dscf2304.jpg

dscf2302.jpg

Thanks folks, muchly appreciatedsmiley

The wings in the background are the upper wings from a 1/1 Sopwith Pup replica made in the 70's early 80's for the TV series Wings. They are with me to be stripped down, repaired, recovered and repainted. Other parts of it, tailplane, fin and rudder, are with a mate for similar attention. The fuselage at the moment is still covered, but we'll do that too all in good time.

Got the first layer of outline on the rear wing, so its quite rigid now, even more so once the next two layers are on.

Ian.

I wasn't happy with the trailing edge profile of the last two ribs at the tip, they seemed to pull the trailing edge outline down, spoiling the lovely Mignet curves, so I peeled the ply rib profile off the spruce rib caps and replaced after teasing the reflex up a snadgers. Trailing edge now flows great. Added the main spar biscuits, 4 per rib and the leading edge doublers, plus the biscuits at the trailing edge junctions, then added the second of the trailing edge laminations. All quite time consuming for not much actual progress, pretty though!!

Ian.

dscf2327.jpg

dscf2328.jpg

dscf2331.jpg

dscf2332.jpg

dscf2334.jpg

The gap between the top rib strip and the spar is because thats how Mignet designed it! The main spar tapers throughout its length so instead of making the ribs all different, Mignet makes only three patterns for the ribs. The outer tip rib, which there are 4, the next one in, again 4 off, then the main ribs of which there are 22. These 22 are all made and used the same, apart from 2 which have to be altered at their trailing edge to match the tips outline. The ribs aren't even handed, which kind of troubles my OCD somewhat!!

Ian.