Bistormer 60" (A Barnstormer with more ribs)

Danny Fenton

Not wasted at all Danny.

It looks from your description that the formers are all a little larger than they need to be with the templates.

If this is the case (and I'll be checking my 63" version plans and bits shortly) then at least it's only a bit more sanding that's necessary for it to fit properly - assuming they're already cut.

Thanks Jollifee, glad it helps, if you need to ask something then please don't hesitate this is what the mass build is about. Yes the pilot looks keen. One of the things that bugs me about this model is the rear cabanes are IN the cockpit! they wouldn't be, so this may be an area that I "PLAY" with wink 2 the cockpit may be moving back.....

Cheers

Danny

Hi Nigel, yes for the most part, but if you try and cut a part out from the template and its bigger than will fit on a sheet of balsa, what are you going to do? I hope you wouldn't make it in two parts to only find you have to sand all the extra off again.

As you say its not really a big issue, but it might be enough to put somebody off. TBH you may as well trace the bulkheads off the plan and use the tracings wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Finished framing up the stbd side, the area around the tailplane seat is a little long winded, not sure why it is done this way. But I have followed the method anyway. The result is 1/16 sheeting on the outside flush with the longerons.

bs 94.jpg

bs 95.jpg

The bulkheads are just dry fitted at this time. I will build the port side on top of the starboard to keep them the same. A layer of the plan protector between the two will stop them sticking together.

Remember anything that makes the fus sides handed will have to be added AFTER they are seperated, ie that 1/16 sheeting around the tailplane seat wink 2

Cheers

Danny

In my usual role as Devil's Advocate I will ask three daft questions which may help others....
1. I wonder if the fuselage sides fit on one sheet if one is inverted or reversed? Or perhaps the offcut makes some different parts? Without the plan i cannot check this but my guess is Boddo would have minimised wastage when he manufactured kits.
2. Why are the pins in pairs and 'dovetailed' on the fus side photos?
3. Do you really cut upwards with your jewellers saw as it seems in the photo? I always cut downwards or preferably in a horizontal plane i.e. using gravity rather than fighting it..

Edited By kc on 12/02/2014 11:35:17

Hi KC the same thing happened with the leading edge sheeting, I could have wasted loads of wood, but as we all do, when I needed something I went to the wastage pile and managed to use pretty much all of it, either stripped for cappings or centre sheeting. The same is probably going to be true for the fus bits, which I did try in every which way around, to no avail. I wonder if this model was originally a smaller size, then it would have fitted better.

As for the jewellers saw, it cuts perfectly with a very light touch in any direction. However that picture is staged, I am right handed, and the shutter release on a Nikon is on the right, so I had to just hold the saw with my left hand to put it in shot wink 2

The pins, I was going to mention those. I don't like to push pins through load bearing longerons, spars etc so that why you will often see me go either side. Sometimes a piece of wood will straddle the longeron with a pin either side. Depends which side of the bed I got up in the morning wink 2 As for the pins being dovetailed this I find is the best way for the pins to hold the balsa down, the wood is nice and soft and relying on friction alone I fend is not enough. So if you angle the pins, they excert a sideways load, another pin nearby excerts an equal but opposite sideways load so the item stays put thumbs up

No questions are daft, and as I say I am no expert, this is just how I do it.

Now just to show how I can screw up to. In fact I do it all the time but just don't let on embarrassed

The second fus side, must have looked like scrap and I sawed a bit off the end, by the wing trailing edge, I must have needed a bit for something!!!

I have added a section to make it good, but in the end the amount I "lopped" off would have meant both sides WOULD have come out of one sheet angry 2

bs 96.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, excellent work as usual. I have been following your progress on various models over the years, trying to emulate some of your practices. You are a very adaptable modeller and I think you are possibly a bit like me, in that I often see an alternative use for something that normally has nothing at all to do with aeromodelling.

Can I be very cheeky now and ask you where you obtained those pins from. Much better that the straight pins that I still tend to use.

Looking forward to reading about the first flights.

Tony B.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 12/02/2014 12:17:32

Today at 12:45 PM
Hi Danny, that's great news. I will get on and purchase some from the Balsa Cabin. I will leave you in peace now. I am going to brave the rain and get down to my shed and do a bit more to a model I am putting together. Cannot do much flying, our field is absolutely water-logged, so plenty of Phoenix sim flying at the moment.
Tony B.

A bit of head scratching and we are shortening the nose by an inch teeth 2 see i told you I might have a "play"

bs 97.jpg

There is room for a 5S A123 pack and I have drawn in the motor I am using. I have a nice chunky bulkhead to drop in as well. The top cowling will have to change slightly but the look I am going for is upright Gipsy engined

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Danny

Started gluing the bulkheads in, F3, F4 and F5 are all perpendicular so they can go in. The new F2 is at a slight angle so will have to wait until the fus is pulled together at the front. The paxolin tray and heavy engine mounts do a great deal to strengthen the front end, so simply adding a bulkhead for the motor is not good enough in my book. So I will add a few bits, including a box for the battery to slide along.

bs 98.jpg

bs 99.jpg

bs 100.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Would it be worth waiting to see how the CG is going before shortening the nose?

Dave could be right but it would make me ill to put 3 or 4 times as much lead in the front! It's easier to move a battery back than put lead up the front.....

Earlier Danny commented on the sheet infill at the tailend being a bit complex. I noticed that Boddo did this infill on many designs -Richtofen, Tiger Moth etc. Could be desirable for a sturdy model and maybe the long nose is to counteract this tail construction? As its not scale I wouldnt expect he made the nose long without reason.

Hi Dave, it is obviously something DB likes. Have I assembled the rear the way you did?
Hi KC in my experience you can lose a fair chunk off the nose of an ic model, the leccy motor has its mass further forward than an ic, and the cells in this case are A123 which are slightly heavier than lipo. I took two inches off the nose of a pupeteer without needing lead. It is a bit of a guess at the end of the day, we will have to see if my guestimate is correct or not
Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 12/02/2014 20:23:39

Joined the two fus sides, Probably would have been wise to have added the cabane blocks to F4 and F5 before doing this, but I didn't realise until it was drying ah well...... kind of building ad-hoc here wink 2

bs 101.jpg

the two sides are held in allignment by the balsa blocks pinned accurately to the fuselage outline. and into the building board. I have deliberately not included the curved upper section of F3 so that the fus could be layed on the board upside down to aid allignment. I would normally place heavy weights across the top of the fus, but in this instance there is no need, the fuselage is perfectly true and it is not springing up anywhere. Also the sides would normally have set squares to make sure they are upright. Again no need as I made the bulkheads from my own tracings and used a set square. They are true.

When viewed from above the bulkheads are on the lines perfectly. The clamps you see are to take out any warp in the lite ply bulkheads. Those of you that have used lite ply will know it only stays flat for a nanosecond after its manufactured, and if you have built a recent Flair Scout will know how much fun holding the lite ply ribs straight is crook

Next task is the cabane blocks will need epoxying in, a servo tray, and wing bolt anchor plate needs fettling and fitting.

There are thick balsa doublers to go on the outside of the fuselage in the area of the lower wing seat. That's straightforward as the fuselage is flat in this area.

More interesting will be the thick blocks to be added to either side of the front section. If I add them before bending the fuselage front together it might take some effort, if I add them after bending the front then it could be difficult to keep the fus alligned. Any Barnstormer boys looking in, did you add the doublers before or after bending the fus together at the front?

Cheers

Danny

Glued the cabane mounting blocks to F3 and F4. I didn't have any stock that big so laminated some smaller blocks with epoxy.

bs 102.jpg

bs 103.jpg

bs 104.jpg

You can see that the angle at which the bulkheads are fixed sets the angle of the cabanes, so you must try and be accurate here.

bs 105.jpg

I also made up the structure that transfers the undercarriage loads and the forward wing mounting into the fus sides. I will add a good quality marine ply floor across this opening and screw the Dural undercart to it.

There is hardwood strip behind the wing dowel plate to spread the gluing surface. There will be more lengthways across the bottom, and the bottom of F3. I do not want the undercarriage going anywahere, as anywhere is up through the lower wing!!

Cheers

Danny

Final bit for this evening was adding the servo rails. These 5010 servos are cheap as chips and have proved very reliable for me in the everyday models. wink 2

bs 106.jpg

bs 107.jpg

The rails are epoxied into balsa blocks notched and attached to the sides of the fus. You have to be careful to clear F6 which runs across the fus later in the build.....

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 14/02/2014 00:02:18