Bistormer 60" (A Barnstormer with more ribs)

Danny Fenton

The wings are all sanded as is the fus and all the tail surfaces, unfortunately Leeds have been in touch and they haven't got the covering in stock, they say it will be with them tomorrow. Must say thats the first time Leeds have not had something listed on their web site. My favourite model shop, and i might add where I got my first "proportional" Tx a Sanwa 2 channel system, back in the 70's.

Anyway I am just looking at the undercarriage, wing bolt, and then I will fit the radio and electronics gear.

But you may be interested, I piled everything on the scales, wheels, esc, prop, spinner, rx etc etc... everything and the weight is 4.9 lbs so it should come out at just under the 5 and half pound mark, which considering the wing area means it will float!

The other interesting thing is the c of g is only an inch out so some shuffling around of the bits should have it sorted with the cells in front of F3 which was the reason for shortening the nose by just over an inch wink 2

Cheers

Danny

some times you can get loads done in no time, tonight was not one of those such ocassions, everything seemed to take an age. Anyway I have fitted a wing bolt plate and all the gubbins.

00195.jpg

I also have fettled a pushrod for the elevator, did it the "old" way 1/4 sq rock hard balsa, thread and balsa cement, very sattisfying to get a waft of the glue, just as powerful as diesel fuel as a time travel medium......

00193.jpg

Anyway I also had to have a quick "all together" shot just to keep the motivation going.

00192.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Thanks John, yes I did, pinch the nut up to make small indentations then drill them with a 1.6mm drill just to make the job easier. I also epoxied the captive to the ply to make sure.

I am having to use a metal bolt for now as I have no M6 nylons that are threaded full length crying 2

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Barrie Dav 2 on 21/02/2014 14:14:15:

Re the axles Danny, I'd be interested as to how you get on with the 4mm (H.T. ?) bolts. You're making a superb job of this model and your build posts are first class. I'm looking forward to your next project smiley.

I took onboard what you said Barrie, and because my HT 4mm bolts would not work, (not fully threaded) I thought i would go much bigger.

00196.jpg

00197.jpg

The bolts are M8 I don't like the weight but I have used some lightweight foam wheels to offset that wink 2 Lets see how these hold up Barrie?

00198.jpg

I tried a spinner, but because its for an IC the prop cutouts are too small for a sensible prop

Ah well, I like the shape so perhaps I will vacform a spinner from this?

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Nigel and Jollifee, I am looking forward to the covering part too. Leeds Model Shop have shipped my Solarspan covering true to their word thumbs up Never used it before anybody got any experience of it?

I am going for black and cream scheme, no idea how but might take a look at an Irish brewery for inspiration...

Cheers

Danny

The covering is going on, not sure whether the covering is a bit old it certainly came in slightly tatty packaging. Anway its taking a lot more heat to shrink than the instructions say. 130 max I am having to use 140 to get it to shrink.

00199.jpg

00200.jpg

Not sure about the colour, Roisin thinks it look a bit like goose poo

Cheers

Danny

Thanks chaps the colour is growing on me. Unfortunately I have miscalculated the quantity required. Two rolls just to cover the wings was a shock. Wanted to do cream with black trim going to have to be a little less interesting and do cream with black fus. Hope Terry and Steve won't be too upset
Cheers
Danny

Seems to have taken forever to film one wing, okay it did have ailerons and I was hinging them at the same time using the film. Still think I could have done it quicker in tissue and dope disgust

00203.jpg

Moved on to the fus, and covering the upper cowl was probably the most challenging filming I have ever done, its a lovely curved shape but crikey it was hard work to film!

00201.jpg

00202.jpg

Whose idea was it to use black, remind me never to be so daft in the future!

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 06/04/2014 22:04:13