Bistormer 60" (A Barnstormer with more ribs)

Danny Fenton

Hi Nigel, yes the arms are a standard fitment on those servos. They do as you have noticed several different types, from circular to four or six pringed stars. If you look carefully on the underside of the arms one leg will be numbered 1 sometimes all the arms are numbered 1 to x. What you will find is that as you turn the output disc/arm on the spline, at each arm the splines will be a slightly different angle. The idea is that you centre the servo then turn the output disk/arm until it is exactly perpendicular to the direction the servo needs to push/pull. Once you have found this angle I tend to chop the unused arms off as they get in the way of travel.

It is sometimes a problem when you have three servos across a fus to keep them out of each others way.

I am not certain here but I reckon a servo generally has about 45 degrees of travel each way, the transmitters are often set to use a 100% of this travel but you can often set the tx to give anything up to 125% this gives more like 50 - 60 degrees of travel each way. You can obviously reduce this too however be careful when you reduce the travel because you are also reduceing the resolution or the increments of the servo. Ideally you want to set your servo and horn arms so that full servo travel is used to deliver the max amount of travel you will need. The rates switch allows you to select a percentage of that full travel. So on low rates you may only get 75% of your max travel. Clear as mud?

Some of the more technical modellers can dive in if they want but that is my understanding and how I deal with servo travel.

Cheers

Danny

But was it as cheap as we can get it in Trago Danny?

Amazing place. Think of a place that's a cross between Grace Brothers, Arkwright's and and old-fashioned ironmongers and you won't be far off I reckon.

Thanks for the servo info. I've just created the servo fitting 'area' using the four and six-point stars. Once I've fitted everything up with the working fin and tailplane I can remove the unwanted arms.

Nigel

Well unfortunately the maiden didn't happen, the camera crew (Roisin 6) practised filming Chris flying his model, but the lightly loaded Bistormer was getting blown over just sitting on the ground! So discretion was the order of the day and I took it home again. We did test the on board camera on Chris's winter hack, which worked well

00214.jpg

00215.jpg

Busy tomorrow so probably wont happen until one lunch time next week crying 2

00213.jpg

Budding RCM&E photographer?

Thanks to Chris for the great pics thumbs up

Cheers

Danny

Well the weather was lovely so I thought I would get the maiden out of the way. Usually I am quite excited about maidens with a touch of trepidation. This one looks right so I was actually excited and very keen, that's a first!

A range test showed no issues, as I was expecting, I checked everything was secure and fitted the cowl lid. The model was wheeled onto the runway, and the the 8088 camera was mounted on the side of the fus with a length of electrical tape.

With a quick scan of the airfield to ensure I was clear and a quick check with Chris my spotter that he was ready with his camera, I eased the throttle forward, it tracked nice and straight, the tail came up quickly and it took just a gentle back pressure to have her climbing gently. A little more power and a sweeping turn to the left to clear the sun at the end of the runway. I then fed in three or four clicks of down, and two clicks of right aileron. I then had a really enjoyable fly around, including the most lovely loop, so round!

I lined her up and she slowed down nicely, flaring at the last minute had a lovely landing near to our feet. The camera was stopped and removed.

I then flew again, and in total we got over 15 mins out of a 2300 A123 pack, though I only got 2000 mAh out of it (the cells are quite old even though the pack was just assembled). We then charged and had another 10 minute flight with Chris having a go, general consensus, absolutely vice less, a joy to fly.

I will edit the on board video and post it later, here is one of Chris's photos as a taster, thanks Chris

img_3705.jpg

A really nice model

Cheers

Danny

Congrats Danny, that was one of the most uneventful maidens I've witnessed in a very long time. She looks just lovely in the early evening light too. What a lovely model.

Danny was kind enough to let me have a stir of the sticks, and for a model straight off the board she's just viceless. Maybe the tiniest bit twitchy in roll, but that's easily sorted with a bit less throw or some more expo.

Oodles of power, but nicely controlled so a gentle "pootle" around is just dead easy. One thing that did surprise me was that without down or side-thrust, opening up the taps really didn't change the trim much. Maybe some of that is down to the wings drag being both above and below the thrustline?

Anyway - enough babbling on, here is a slideshow of some of this evening's still photos. There's a short vid to follow too.