bmfa online poll heritage and flying centre

• 4 months later...

My points are meaningful to me Martin they are also the first ones I've aired.

After a quick re-read of old thread, I can tell you i'm not a BMFA knocker ,club secretary , examiner, been in BMFA since I was 24, with a break for the usual. As I said already for me clubs are the backbone of the BMFA, I have all the time in the world for them. Like some others I have concerns.

Developments ? would loosing Barkston heath count ?

John

I think the BMFA are trying to put this idea to bed once and for all. There are all the issues of location / cost / rules. I can't see this ever taking off, but when the idea is raised again the BMFA will have this study to refer to.

Personally I live in the midlands so would expect any site to be nearer me than most, and I do travel to fly at other clubs whenever I get the opportunity (they do make great days out) so would support the idea.

Andy

I don't see how you could need a B Certificate to use the facility.

I, for one, think it is an excellent idea. What is not to like instead of a faceless office in the middle of a town with no flying space you are offered a central hub with indoor, out door flying spaces, museum and direct access to their head office?

It would give all BMFA members somewhere specific to be in contact with, be involved in and go to visit, fly and even enjoy. You don't, obviously, have to go but I think it is a wonderful idea.

It won't please those who live far away but, then again, you can never please everybody.

Edited By John F on 22/05/2014 11:26:13

That isn't what the BMFA says.  In theory if that were the case a passer by stops to watch you fly you would then automatically need a B certificate.

The B certificate is, according to the BMFA website;

"The 'B' Certificate is “designed to recognise the pilot's more advanced ability and demonstrated a level of safety which may be considered by an event organiser as suitable for flying at a public display.”"

It would not be under those circumstances though as you would simply be flying for your own pleasure.

Edited By John F on 22/05/2014 14:48:45

To have a national flying facility and then exclude the majority of flyers on the basis of an advanced ticket would be ludicrous.

This would be an excelent place to have complete novices, even schools perhaps to come and catch the bug.

The common club rule of buddy lead unless you have the A cert has been proven to be safe and effective.

How about flying schools or taster sessions. It may make a marginal proposition possible.

It is obvious that the BMFA would locate it near to Leicester to suit the BMFA elite which would suit very few of the BMFA members. It would be of no use to the majority of the population.

But just in case you are in favour of it............think what a flying site run by a BMFA committee would be like......imagine the rules & regulations, imagine what powers the Safety Officer would have to ban pilots or models! Do you think you would enjoy flying there? Forget it, its a non starter!

common club rule of buddy lead unless you have a A cert.

glad our club not common

and if a passer by stops he would be asked who are what your doing and get out if the first two answers are not correct

lets just hope the fees dont go up to pay for it

or some other insurance scheme is sorted out that will cover the hobby for the ones that only what to fly and have fun

There are always a load of issues to be resolved when suggestions like this are considered, but in principle I think a national facility is a good idea. I know that wherever you put it will be too far away for many, but it's got to be somewhere and we don't complain about going to Duxford because it's at Duxford.

Surely the level of certificate specified would depend on the nature of the event to be held there? For public displays, a "B", for club events and fly-ins, an "A". There would be a chance to set up proper links with the education system and get more kids interested in appropriate events, something that really is beyond most local clubs.

Nothing's perfect, but I think we're better off with BMFA than we would be without it. If we're going to have any kind of a national profile and be in a position to defend ourselves strongly against political and community pressures, it's essential and a national centre really would add credibility, I think.

sorry for double post must buy a new mouse

we get our fare share of new members

but when your clubs in a secure MOD place where aircraft can land at any time of day and drop anything they like there is no way passer bys are wanted or allowed

as above colin put it cert a and b sounds a good thing

but to have it force on someone that wishes to just fly for fun on there own or in a small group in safe place then thats different kettle of fish

I think you are all missing the point: this is a funded (by our insurers, ie no cost to the BMFA) feasibility study into all aspects relating to a potential "National Centre for model flying", including what form it should take, where it should be sited, how funded, run, etc, etc. Until the study reports next May any claim of how it would operate or what it would provide is pure speculation and only serves to undermine the efforts that have been, and are being made, to finally answer the questions.

Pete

Posted by Dizz on 22/05/2014 20:26:38:

I think you are all missing the point: this is a funded (by our insurers, ie no cost to the BMFA) feasibility study into all aspects relating to a potential "National Centre for model flying", including what form it should take, where it should be sited, how funded, run, etc, etc. Until the study reports next May any claim of how it would operate or what it would provide is pure speculation and only serves to undermine the efforts that have been, and are being made, to finally answer the questions.

Pete

This is only one forum with one thread and about ten people talking at the moment; how could us debating whether it is a good thing or not ruin what these folk are doing? They are contracted to look for land, design, sustainability and funding. No matter what we say here I would have thought there will be hardly any ripples to spoil that.