RCM&E February 2014 Issue.

Kevin Fairgrieve

Advert

Got mine today.

My thoughts, I usually like AW, but I found his column (page 100) rather ironic given that the chosen subject for the column WAS a full size aircraft, plus the photography lesson which I didn't want or need.

Another five 5 pages elsewhere were also dedicated to the full size plane.

More models and building please.....where is the building?

Sorry, jmho, Rich

ps on a positive note I like the aerobatics lessons, and the helicopter training.

Edited By Rich2 on 11/01/2014 17:36:11

Edited By Rich2 on 11/01/2014 17:37:24

Plenty to go at this month!

Topping All-Write is a letter from Owe Carlson re a vintage model the "Radio Rock",

Could this be the same as the "Radio Rook" by modelling pioneer Col. C.E.Bowdon?

This was published in Practical Mechanics September 1956.

radio rook  00.jpg

all I need now is a vintage diesel!!!

Tbone

On page 8 of the mag, at the very top of the Switch On column and immediately below the Southern Model Show 2014 heading, there is a photo of a twin boom model and I think I've fallen in love. Can anyone tell me what the model is and also, if possible, any details of kits/plans etc?

Many thanks, Ian.

Posted by IanR on 11/01/2014 19:00:32:

On page 8 of the mag, at the very top of the Switch On column and immediately below the Southern Model Show 2014 heading, there is a photo of a twin boom model and I think I've fallen in love. Can anyone tell me what the model is and also, if possible, any details of kits/plans etc?

Many thanks, Ian.

It is an OV-10 Bronco, and I am guessing it is the Nijhuis one.

Yours for £9.000

No plan or kit though.

**LINK**

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 11/01/2014 19:08:34

mine arrived yesterday at fort Anderson.......I also thought it was a bit overkill having two articles in about full-size aircraft....although I enjoyed the Vulcan info.........and of special note is the Pete Lowe article .... understanding epoxy......I'm not the only one that uses a screwdriver to mix with....well done Pete.... teeth 2 .....

ken Anderson ne...1 epoxy dept..

PS -forgot to mention 3 cheers for the D/Patrol lads........I was standing next to Ian redshaw at G/Acre's and didn't even know it...........

Edited By ken anderson. on 12/01/2014 09:56:09

Mine came yesterday too and very welcome it was too. The Dawn Patrol article was very good - well done those boys! I found the letter page very rewarding too! devil

Lidl's lollipop sticks do it for me with epoxy - cheap - expendable and if you let them go off - double -ended!!

The rest of the mag seems well balanced - most of it I'll read and enjoy!

Terry

No 1 lollipop epoxy stirrer dept

There's a lot to read in it and because I tend to lack focus and get easily distracted by anything to do with aeroplanes, I enjoy reading most of it! I'm only part way through this one and because I hang onto them for a while, I keep going back to them anyway.

I enjoyed reading Cyril Carr's piece on the Vulcan and as he was a real 617 squadron pilot he has my greatest respect, particularly as he seems to be a pretty inspired modeller as well. My interest in model aeroplanes is just part of my overall interest in aeroplanes in general and I like to see some reflection of the full size in there as a regular feature. One of the most interesting parts of Aeromodeller back in the fifties and sixties for me was the article in every edition about a full-size plane with a first class detailed three-view. You would see excellent model subjects in there like the Edgar-Percival EP9? Who remembers that one? Yet it's still a great model subject. I remember particularly one devoted to the Spitfire MkVIII and a lot of information about the Australian use of them with brilliant "Grey Nurse" sharks' mouth nose art, brought back to mind by the front page picture and accompanying feature in the February 2014 Aeroplane magazine. I'd like to see RCME do that now.

I know 2 ex 617 Vulcan jockies, although there's a few years between them. Cyril might know one or both of them.

I love the Dawn Patrol stuff. particularly I like the Siemens Shuckert D111 and the Junkers J2. relatively little known but models of outstanding aeroplanes. Overall, I think Graham Ashby and his team do a good job of this, it's always hard to please everyone when there are so many varied interests.

Good issue, been looking forwards to those mini fighters plans, might well have a go at one of those. One minor point not shown on the plan - presumably the ribs should be rebated at the underside rear end to allow the lower surface of the TE to sit flush with the rib bottom?

Rich2, I know where you're coming from re "More models and building please.....where is the building?" Not much at all in this issue, but it must be next to impossible to balance every interest evenly in each mag - these things even themselves out from mag to mag.

Posted by Prop Nut on 12/01/2014 14:10:46:

For mixing and applying epoxy, I hang on to the wooden tea/coffee stirrers they supply in cafés. Sometimes I need several to make sure my coffee's properly stirred, even though I drink it black, without sugar.

He he! So I'm not the only one.

Edited By Martin Phillips on 12/01/2014 17:40:36

Great to see the Dawn Patrol getting the credit they deserve. Brilliant article. Maybe I will have one of my 2 DP planes ready for the next one? wink 2 which did actually get a brief mention, one of the SPADs currently being sorted, I also have my mitts on the late Ken Harts Albatross DVa, I just hope I can do the guy justice.

Other than that not read the mag yet, just went straight to our article lol.

I too enjoyed Cyril Carr's article on the Vulcan.

Not quite sure about indulging AW with his personal aerial photography jaunt.

I was surprised to see Simon Cocker's personal views on immigration and his vehement support of Enoch Powell's policies being printed. Such vehement support would have deprived us of the talents of a fellow columnist.

Edited By FilmBuff on 13/01/2014 13:27:56