"Shedstormer" The build.

kevin b

2nd attempt at starting a thread. 1st one vanished as I tried to add photos !

Ok, we've seen how the pro's do it and it was requested that we amateurs should have a go at doing a build log. So no carefully staged photos, no expensive camera equipment and definitely no hiding the cockups (can I say that mods?).

Before Christmas I put the plan on the wall and collected together most of the materials I thought I would need ready to start in the New Year. All the major parts were cut to create a "kit".

Hmm. No photos.

Now can anybody tell me why I can't access my albums from here ? Every time I click on the camera icon, all I get is a grey box with the ok and cancel buttons.

kevinb.

Edited By kevin b on 12/01/2014 19:47:41

Advert

Well whilst I'm waiting for some assistance with the photos I'd better start.

Right, the easy part first. Tail feathers. Pin down the parts add superglue and very shortly you have a nice flat tailplane and fin. That went ok until I removed the pins. I had read that in order to stop the parts sticking to the plan it was a good idea to cover said plan with a clear medium, such as cling film. What I wasn't told was that superglue sticks to clingfilm better than it does to wood ! Not a major problem as it comes of easily, but a bit of a surprise.

So there we are. A nice set of tailfeathers with a fin that fits in nicely and at right angles (beginners luck). Not bad for less than 40 minutes (careful) work.

Still no pictures (where's there a mod when you need one).

Next, the fuselage.

Edited By kevin b on 12/01/2014 20:47:28

Hi Kevin,

Have you uploaded the photos to the gallery first? If not then that is the first step to create your gallery of pictures (1024 x 768 size works well). I have one for own builds, another for kit builds etc. when loaded you can access the gallery from the icons as you tried earlier. When you get them loaded put a space between each which makes things a lot tidyer.

Adrian

Edited By Ady Hayward on 12/01/2014 21:16:57

Aha ! Uploading photos only works when I'm in compatability mode.

01a.jpg

Plan on wall. Please ignore the E-boat. I've only been building it 30 years !

02a.jpg

All ready for the off. Tidy isn't it ? That won't last.

03a.jpg

Tail feathers laid out and glued. To the cling film.

04a.jpg

All ready for covering. The fin is only fitted temporary.

Edited By kevin b on 12/01/2014 21:27:22

Barnstormers came in 52, 63 & 72 inch etc so what size are you building? Your plan looks like the 52 inch RCME version so 70 percent would be 36 inches. This is about the size of Boddo's 39 inch Miss Barnstormer from Model Flyer Oct 2001. This used somewhat lighter fuselage construction and piano wire cabane & undercarriage.

Edited By kc on 12/01/2014 21:41:16

Edited By kc on 12/01/2014 21:43:01

Hi Kc.

It's a 70% version of the 52ins plan I have, giving just over 36ins in old money. I didn't have the Baby plan at the time, so this is a bit of an experiment. I know it will fly, but not how well. I've set myself quite a task this year. To build a plane for Greenacres and learn to fly before I get there. Let's hope for some good weather !

kevinb.

Hi Kevin Nice start will be following this in case I have something to offer,

Your not the only one with the challenge of getting your A before June, despite being in the hobby for years now its something I've never got round to, No active training programme at my previous club still got an instructor now so just need the good weather to get on with it.

As for the E boat well thats what I call steady building mate wink

Thanks for the encouragement folks.

Right. On with the fuselage.

05a.jpg

Both sides pinned down flat and reinforcement fitted. Make note, must get more pins. Nearly had to attack the sewing box !

06a.jpg

Now fit formers 3 & 4. This should keep the centre section square. Please note I said "should".

07a.jpg

When the glue dried it was time to put it in the jig, glue it together and walk away.

Next morning it was removed from the jig to find that F3 was in twisted, However the frame itself was square so F3 must have not been cut square.

This is where it slows down a little as I work full time and don't usually get more than an hour spare on an evening.

Whilst contemplating lunch a question sprang to mind. Linkages. Which would be best / lightest ? Piano wire, dowel, or snakes ? I also like Tony's heatshrink connections on his micro warbirds (This month's magazine), but would they be ok at the size I'm building.

Opinions please.

Now for a fiddly bit. Fitting F1 and getting all the angles right.

08a.jpg

That's a lot of clamps for one bit of wood !

09a.jpg

A eureka moment. All checked against the drawings - and the motor fits as well !!!

10a.jpg

Servo mounts also fitted.

11a.jpg

The underneath sheeting was quite straightforward. However the top was another story, which involved a lot of soaking, bending and incantations. It seemed to go ok though.

Next job. Make the Ovaltine and go to bed.

Posted by kevin b on 14/01/2014 13:18:09:

Whilst contemplating lunch a question sprang to mind. Linkages. Which would be best / lightest ? Piano wire, dowel, or snakes ? I also like Tony's heatshrink connections on his micro warbirds (This month's magazine), but would they be ok at the size I'm building.

Opinions please.

Kevin my choice here would be snakes but with 2mm pushrods screwed in each end, so that at max travel there is still at least an inch of steel inside the outer tube. I did this on my toucano last year and there is no chance of the snake inner deflecting between the servo and the start of the outer tube at max travel. I used the SLEC ones with their 2mm control rods wound in to the orange inner about 2 inches, as a bonus the bright orange inner never actually shows.

I wouldn't use those heatshrink connections at this size best to stick to nylon bolt on horns and metal clevises at the surface end and either z bends (if you have those clever pliers) or clevises at the servo end

Edited By Phil Winks on 15/01/2014 21:11:30

Posted by john stones 1 on 15/01/2014 21:16:56:

you're a natural at it Kevin

closed loop on rudder ? very light and no slop

metal clevices though

nice job with top sheeting

Just one small point there John looking at the position of the servo's he may struggle to get a wide enough double servo arm on for a closed loop rudder, mind you on the subject of small points he may also struggle to put a mid fuselage support for snakes too, seeing as he's sheeted top and bottom already so push rods may be the easiest option

Thanks for the advice chaps. You're spot on John. The underside is only sheeted at the front. The rear is strong enough and I need to keep the weight down. I did consider a closed loop system, but the rudder is at the top and I couldn't get any straight lines from the servo area close enough. I've settled for some Dubro micro snakes. They should be up to the task and are really small and light. That is unless anyone has had bad experience with them.

Part of the thinking behind this build is to gain experience with modern materials and work practices. I have just realised the last time I built a model (airplane) from plans was nearly 40 years ago !!! I'm getting used to the newer adhesives and working on a small model means I have to think ahead for things like access and weight distribtuion. A 920mm model won't handle an extra 300gm of lead no matter where it needs to go !

Off to do some metalwork now. I need to make some small brackets for my jig (at least 22) so that I can build the wing. Just remembered I have to change the bandsaw blade for a metal cutter as well.

Well the metalwork was a complete shambles. I have discovered that my pillar drill can't be made to mill as it doesn't like side loads. Never mind, I will make some plastic brackets instead with my router.

Anyway back on with the build.

12a.jpg

Top rear deck done. Time to fit the wing struts (after a tidy up).

13a.jpg

Ok, tried to build the front hatch in situ by using formers and planking. The result (above) is now in the bin. As soon as I removed it from the fuselage it developed a propellor shape.

14a.jpg

Second attempt. Laminated from various thicknesses of sheet. Much better and it fits.

15a.jpg

See.

16a.jpg

Slight problem with the upper rear deck moulding. Never mind, I can glue a bit on !

Edited By kevin b on 19/01/2014 21:46:01