"Shedstormer" The build.

kevin b

Sounds like a winner that Kevin funny that your a guitar man my brother Kevin is too though never professional, totally agree with your life philosophy it's mine too especially concerning those who work hard, not a lot of time for the "society owes me" brigade though I'm afraid. The litho plate sounds useful though never got round to using it myself so not sure what for.but could have been an alternative for the metal foil tape I used on my cowl I guess.

Advert

Time for an update.

32a.jpg

All the bits covered (eventually !). Another clean up and get ready for some assembling.

33a.jpg

Before that though, I must paint the metalwork.

39a.jpg

That's better.

34a.jpg

Tail feathers first.

35a.jpg

36a.jpg

37a.jpg

And now the difficult bit.

38a.jpg

Well that didn't turn out too bad. I did leave it overnight, just to make sure the glue dried before moving it for the next stage.

40a.jpg

Which was to prepare the parts for final installation on the fuselage.

41a.jpg

Which was then left overnight again.

42a.jpg

Meanwhile I sorted out the cowl / air intake.

43a.jpg

Note the hi-tech clamping system. Anything else and it slides all over !

Then it was bedtime.

Posted by jeff2wings on 09/02/2014 20:35:14:

Looks fantastic ,well done that man !yessmiley

Here here my sentiments exactly, Can't see the pilot in those pictures so couldn't possibly comment on that point, though I did think that at 1st about mine but he's grown on me so far even though it does look a little cramped in that office

picture 089 bs63 2014.jpg

I didn't escape. Who would want to ? I do travel out occasionally though and as long as I have my Yorkshire passport, they let me back in.

I currently live near Pateley Bridge next to a very, very, very soggy field (like a lot of other people at the moment) which could pass for a small flying site if it were dry and the sheep weren't currently crossing it like tumbleweed !

While I'm waiting for the esc and spinner to arrive I have been doing some calculations.

Wing area 0.375 sq ft, weight 17-18 oz including power unit.Q

Or, wing area 0.0126 sq m, weight 480 gm.

Question. Will it fly ?

Comparing it with my Minimag it comes out slightly lighter, so I think it should be ok. Obviously I can't tell for certain as it would need checking once fully trimmed. I have a sneaky feeling though that it might be slightly overpowered.

Kevin either your calculator is on the blink or mine is!
.375 ft is equivalent to 4.5 inches by 12 - surely your model is bigger than that?
And anyway .375 ft is .0348 sq metres isn't it? Or could it be that feet are bigger in Yorkshire? Miss barnstormer at 39 inch span as built by Boddo for free flight weighed 9.5 ounces and had 224 sq inches 1.56 sq ft ( about 5.75 inch by 39 ) according to my measurements of the plan.

Edited By kc on 14/02/2014 13:12:57

Thanks John.

While waiting for the last bits to arrive I have been contemplating the next project. A while ago I acqured a collection of "sheds", on the basis that as I am learning to fly there will be less emotional attachment (and money) lost as and when I turn them into balsa dust in my efforts. I have rebuilt the trainer (waiting for the weather now !) and a 6ft aerobat (docile variety) for when I am ready. A smaller aero has been repaired and I have a good home for it to go to. rather than do another (3 left) I thought I would have a go at one of the 2 scale (ish) models. One is a bright yellow biplane with blue St Ivel stickers on it. The other is a silver low winger, possibly 60's design which has been "covered" (I use the word loosely, as it is) in what appears to be Solartex. This is the one that currently is favourite as it will probably involve new learning processes.

This is it.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

It doesn't look too bad on the photos,

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

but this gives you an indication of what I'm up against. The covering has been painted (along with everything else) with silver paint and all the linkages are either seized, or so loose as to be useless.

Anybody know what it is ? It is definitely a kit and has been built fairly square, so most of the work will be non-structural.

Edited By kevin b on 14/02/2014 18:22:43