Barnstormer Martin's build

Martian

Advert

Hi ,well she took to the air well but slowed to a crawl on the climb Tim Hooper designated test pilot turned for the strip as fast as was possible just as all power went for the motor the plane was still under his control but didn't quite make the strip but settled on top of a crop of oil seed rape Tim trudge into the rape and back at the service area it became clear the motor was loose and floating inside the cowl when I removed the cowl all the little countersunk screws were attached to the cowl securing magnet so only minimal damage to motor wires and a slight amount to the cowl oh and pollen and petals from the rape . My fault and a lesson learnt (make sure to loctite all screws so make some adjustments and try again

So today was the day!

First off, it has to be said that Martin has made a cracking job of this model. Boddo would be dead chuffed!

I felt that it felt a little tail heavy to begin with (maybe due in part in an over-specified tailwheel assembly - I've suggested a change to a simple skid).

I've also recommended cranking the aileron servo horns forwards to counter any tendency to adverse yaw.

Other than that, the model is fine as it is.

As Martin says, the take-off run was uneventful. The model didn't seem overly powerful, but climbed out normally, needing a touch of aileron correction. After a few seconds though, the power suddenly declined, and I was forced to land the model in the surrounding rape crop. No damage fortunately!

Examination of the model revealed the motor to have come adrift from its cross-mount, as the little countersunk screws undidthemselves and dropped free.

No biggie, but we felt that the mods needed would be better carried out at home.

Anyway, here're some pics ........

tim smile d

img_5323.jpg

img_5331.jpg

img_5325.jpg

img_5326.jpg

img_5328.jpg

img_5330.jpg

img_5331.jpg

img_5333.jpg

img_5334.jpg

img_5335.jpg