Barnstormer Martin's build

Martian

I thought it about time to lay down my intention to build the Barnstormer 60 ish or at least make a small start, a lot is depending on getting in a supply of balsa (I'm slowly running out)

anyway cant afford laser cut bits so it will all be the hard slow way,

here is my ribset

drilled and bolted together so as to create identical ribs hopefully all good

dsc_0209.jpg

dsc_0210.jpg

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

well the RF4 is nearly finished bar covering so I cracked on with the Barnstormer 52 . Below pics of the wing halves just ribs and spars you'll notice the 4 bay aileron section the cut off section will be used for the aileron , these wings are of a simple enough structure but I have used spruce spars and 1/8th ribs in centre section out to first 4 ribs .

dsc_0211.jpg

dsc_0219.jpg

dsc_0220.jpg

that's all for now need a supply of balsa so a bit of a delay

• 1 month later...

wow it's been quite some gap since I was last here but I have not been idle but unfortunately I have not taken piccies at all stages so below is a nearly complete Barnstormer with just the fiddly bits to do

dsc_0227.jpg

big ailerons hefty wing tips and scalloped sheeting just to put my own stamp on the plane

dsc_0228.jpg

Tailplane was a bit weird to follow but it made sense in the end. by the way I am working from an original plan 53" span that depicts an escapement for rudder control only so some modifications had to be done

dsc_0229.jpg

bit of a tight fit for ae servo so it will slot into two guides and will be servo taped to the cover ,it will be interesting to see how the plane will behave with these large ae's

dsc_0230.jpg

you can just see another mod at the front end it's a dummy oil cooler that functions as an airflow outlet, more when cowl and hatch is done

At first glance that looks like a low winger, but I assume it's an illusion!
Bending the cabane struts is the tricky bit and obtaining the alloy is another problem. I found that B&Q sell alloy strip in 2mm thickness and several widths. It may not be dural but it seems harder than normal aluminium. Might be useful.

Thanks Kevin no not transparent I have a fondness for blue and white so it will loosely follow a Rothmans livery. yes it is an illusion but it looks as though it might be ok to do a low wing version ..yes funnily enough I had some ali strip from B&Q so I will use that and not looking forward to bending it

Hi John thanks. wing sheeting is relatively straightforward and the top is done in two parts first leading edge sheeting done up to a false leading edge then the scalloped sheet was pinned in place to mark the rib places then a compass to mark outline then cut by hand and glued in place where ever possible I use aliphatic glue and ca held in place with pins and masking tape..not sure what items you a referring to re spruce spars can you pin point for me please

crying Boo hoo bit of a disaster ,epoxied the wing halves together with slow setting epoxy (turns out it takes 6 hrs) anyway I seconded the dining room table and set it all up nicely aligned BUT I had to move it for dinner time in doing so it must have moved out of alignment (no I didn't check angry) this morning expecting to marry up to cabanes only to find it's out by a fair amount LE to TE going to have to cut it apart and redo ,lesson learnt check check double check and don't use the dining table face 21

Nice build Martin , join the club as far as misalignment s go I'm very good at that (bad) .still! we get there in the end do we not? I am currently build a vintage model from a 19401 plan it was designed for free flight so I have made the necasary changes ror RC gear .good luck with you'r barn Stormer and blue skys for you .

thanks Bernie, I've also realised the cabane mounts do not line up don't know why frown they are in the correct place ah well will have to start that again to. I have managed to separate the wing halves and will only have to replace the root ribs

hooray the wing halves have had the damaged root ribs removed and replaced and this time far more care was taken on lining up before joining and this morning success is mine haa haa .. I have realised why the cabane struts and mount don't line up it's because the front mount is set at an angle by the block in my effort to make it all nice and tidy I removed just enough to spoil the angle anyway all corrected now I shall introduce the fuz to the wings later