dx7s+funcub+newbie=aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh

Gilberto DePiento

so i have a dx7s. i thought i had a reasonable grasp of how it works and is programmed. I've had a few planes/quads and heli's with just elev and rudder set up was easy and all was good. so i decided to move up to a funcub so i bought the rr version so it cam constructed. all i would need to do was install receiver etc and away we go. but alas no. i cannot for the life of me work out what to plug in where and then how to program the tx to get it working. i can get the ailerons working but not the flaps. any help would be ace.

thanks

Advert

Hi Gilberto,

Welcome to the forum! If we can't get you sorted out here, then there's a big problem....teeth 2

There is a fair bit of information in that thread as Tony suggests but I'll run through the basics of setting up the Funcub. I'll try and keep it to simple steps and if you have any questions, just ask. The Dx7s manual does provide some explanation of each function but doesn't do so well on the reasoning behind each action.

Firstly, I have to assume you know how to bind the Rx to the Tx, from what you've already said. I'm also going to assume you have the ailerons on separate channels and the flaps controlled by one channel. If you have the flaps on one channel, you need to either physically refit one of the servos under the wing so that both face the same side (as compared to the ailerons which are fitted mirro-image). Alternatively, you'll need to reverse the signal on one of the servos, using either a reversing Y lead such as this or just put one of these in-line on one servo.

Now on to the programming. Firstly, remove the prop from the motor - we don't want accidents, do we?smile

It's best to start with a fresh, clean Acro channel, so if you have the model already bound, then go to the setup menu, select Model Reset and select Reset. Set the model type to Acro, name it as you wish, and set wing type to 2 Aileron, 1 Flap. Whilst you're in the setup menu, go to Switch Select and change Gear:Gear to Gear: Inh.

That's the basics done. Now to connect all the leads to the right channels. You'll need an Rx with 6 channels minimum. What Rx are you using? All Spektrum type Rx's have the same primary control sequence: Thr, Ail, Ele, Rud. These are often marked on the Rx rather than just a number, which would be 1-4. On the 6-channel, the 5th and 6th channels are marked Gear and Aux1.

Assuming the Rx is bound, connect your ESC lead to Thr, right aileron lead to Ail, ele lead to Ele, rudder lead to Rud, left aileron lead to Aux1 and the flap Y lead to Gear.

Switch on the Tx and connect the flight pack. All being well, the model should come alive - except the motor! - and you'll have the ailerons moving in opposite directions and control of the rudder and elevator.

Make sure they are moving in the correct direction. If not, press the scroller switch and go to the Servo Select menu. There you can reverse the direction of any servo and set the maxumum travel for each control surface.

I'll not go into Dual Rates and Expo at this time - easy to research explanations for this yourself.... but ask if you're not clear.

Next, go to the Flaps System menu. There you will set the SW to Flap and this will give you a 3-position option for the flaps. Set them as you wish. You can also adjust the servo speed here so they don't thump up and down.

You'll also need to 'teach' the ESC the throttle range - ask if you don't know how.

Once this is done and you're happy with the controls, you can then re-fit the prop.

I think that'll do for now.....smile

Pete

thanks for that. thats pretty much what i thought but kind of assumed that there was a way to do it without having to buy a reversing y/lead. given that it doesn't come with one with the kit it seemed a little odd. it also makes no reference of one in the kits instructions.

I'm using a spectrum ar600 receiver by the way.

thanks. i may come back to you about setting up the esc once have the surfaces working as i want.

Posted by Gilberto DePiento on 06/02/2014 13:06:26:

thanks for that. thats pretty much what i thought but kind of assumed that there was a way to do it without having to buy a reversing y/lead. given that it doesn't come with one with the kit it seemed a little odd. it also makes no reference of one in the kits instructions.

Probably because the Funcub is from Multiplex and hence they designed it to be flown using the Cockpit Sx with a 7 channel Rx which at the time was their entry level Tx.

If indeed the flap servos are mounted such that they need a reversing Y lead, then it may be possible to put the Ailerons on one channel with a normal Y lead, and split the flaps between two channels?

Is it possible to set up the Tx for a 1 aileron 1 flap model, that would take 5 channels?

Then do a "minus 100%" mix from Flap to Ch6, i.e. Ch6 is the reverse of Ch5.

Any thoughts anyone?

Posted by Gilberto DePiento on 06/02/2014 23:23:10:

I'm looking forward to getting it in the air. I've ordered a servo reverser so hopefully that'll do the trick.

Got to say it's a bit rubbish that you need it and that it's not mentioned in the instruction or by the model shop where I brought it.

Blame the model shop if you told them it was to go with a Dx7 with AR600 which doesn't support separate flaps, out of the box it would work great with Multiplex's Cockpit Sx transmitter and 7 channel Rx, it's a bit tricky for plane manufacturers to cater for every different manufacturers transmitter/Rx setups.

I have my DX7 & FunCub set up the way Chris describes above with a Y lead for the ailerons. Works fine.

Wing Type: 1 aileron 1 flap.

FLAPS Reversed.

Then I have a Mix of FLAP to GEAR, with settings of 100% and -50%. Can't explain why that works, it was trial and error.

Flap Settings are then 100, 60, 20 with Elevator mix of 0, 10, 20.

May not be the best way to di it but....

My Funcub has a AR600 & like Geoff I use a Y lead on the ailerons whilst the flaps use Gear & Aux 1channels via a mix.

Mine's on a JR DMX12 so the mix set up is slightly different but with the same principle & I also have a down elevator mix set at 2% on half flap & 15% on full flap. I also use servo slow on the flaps set at 1 second.

Great flying machine, comes into it's own at this time of year operating on a muddy field.

Edited By John Lee on 07/02/2014 10:08:07

• 1 year later...

lHi,could this relate to a issue am having with my setup on my DX7s and my Dynam spitfire. I have recently installed landing flaps too both wings with two servos on a normal Y lead, I reversed one servo by changing the wires in the servo,so they would work together. The ailerons are also on a Y lead that came with the model. When the selected wing is in normal mode,the flaps work on the three way switch on the Tx. Now then, when I go into the menu on the Tx and select 2 aileron 2 flaps on the wing menu or in the flaps menu they don't work. I have read on this forum that maybe 1 aileron 1 flap would work, but have tried that option also, but no joy. I would like to slow down the servos on the flaps so it looks more realistic,rather than dunk,dunk on the switch. Has anyone got any ideas please.