Club in Hull?

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Hi Mal,

If you find anywhere in the area could you let me know. Like you I live in Hull and have just started building my own Gliders from plans I have completed one from plans in the Aeromodeller Mag, and a second, a 60" version of the old classic Bird Of Time. As yet I haven't found anywhere. My thoughts were to put an electric motor in my Bird of Time. That way I can fly anywhere. There are a large number of Ready to Fly electric gliders on the market to suit everyone's pocket, and of course there are the online auction sites as well. Slope soaring would be no problem as you just chuck your glider of a big hill, and sit there buzzing it round the sky. There are also winch launches from flat fields, and also the tried and tested bungee rubber launches. With your condition limiting things some what I would go for an electric glider of a wingspan you can easily transport, the wings usually break down into 2 or 4 pieces for ease of transport.

Cheers

Bill W

Posted by Bill Worsley on 27/02/2014 17:21:54:

Hi Mal,

Slope soaring would be no problem as you just chuck your glider of a big hill, and sit there buzzing it round the sky.

Cheers

Bill W

Mmmm

40 odd years since I lived there but if I remember correctly there's a reason Hull was the bicycle capital of Yorkshire. What was it again? Ah yes, no big hills in the close proximity. wink

Alwyn

Bill, for a number of years I flew slope soarers during the model holiday weeks at Primrose Valley, Filey. We mostly flew at various sites between just north of Bridlington & Filey Brig but when the wind was westerly we travelled to the Hole of Horcum or Levisham.

Bill, for a number of years I flew slope soarers during the model holiday weeks at Primrose Valley, Filey. We mostly flew at various sites between just north of Bridlington & Filey Brig but when the wind was westerly we travelled to the Hole of Horcum or Levisham.

Max Bradley owner of Grimsby Model Centre used to set up shop in one of the holiday chalets for the week & flew with us when he could get time. I'm not sure how close you are to Grimsby but I believe there are (or used to be) some active slope soarers in that area - might be worth contacting the shop **LINK**

Edited By PatMc on 28/02/2014 17:29:29

Posted by john stones 1 on 28/02/2014 17:31:19:

there is a flying club in Beverley lads friend of mine flies there

I think they have a web site you could view

There's a club that flies near to the racecourse entrance on the Westwood. I seen them a couple of times when visiting my brother who lives between Beverley & Walkington.

Hi guys over the past few days I have been searching the net for a reasonable priced glider, I don't want to spend to much money right away ,actually I'm well over retirement age and cash is scarce. I came over this model from the US

Dream-Flight Libelle DLG- I contacted the American representative to ask if it was suitable for a beginner and he said is was perfect for a new pilot but it looks to need quite a few channels.

here is the you tube video about it.**LINK** need your advise please. Should be coming to the UK soon

Mal launching a DLG is quite a physical effort, and you did say you suffered from Emphysema so I'm not sure thats the best idea. You can of course throw a DLG off a cliff and it will soar perfectly well but it was purpose designed for a particular manner of launching and flying. A typical DLG is very lightly built, easily damaged and maybe not so easy or cheap to repair as they contain a lot of carbon.

If you're just getting into flying you could do much worse than the humble Easy Star. Its a stable, steady flyer which gives you time to think and to get your head around orientation and depth perception, its motorised so launches easily from a flat field, it glides very well, the prop is out of the way so no breakages, plus when you're ready its suprisingly aerobatic. When you're done it will sell for almost what you paid for it.

I'm just thinking a dlg is taking you down the wrong path, just my thoughts. Other options are the Easy Glider, or if you've an aversion to foam the Perkins Easy Pidgeon, or how about one of my all-time favourites, the Veron Impala!

What I would say is find your club, talk to local flyers, people on here & other forums, before choosing anything.

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers

Phil

I agree with Phil, except when it comes to the Veron Impala wink 2.

If you're happy to build a model from plans the Orangebox with 72" polyhedral wings is a good steady performer on the same lines as the Gentle Lady but better designed or the Sorcerer is about the same size as the Impala but again a better design - IMO of course. face 1

Forgot to mention Orangebox & Soarcerer plans are available from MHS.

Edited By PatMc on 01/03/2014 00:08:51