Advert

Its not something I have ever considered despite attending many many fly-ins and being part of a club that arranges several each year.

I dont suppose there is much a club can do apart from insist on photo id to accompany the bmfa card.

I think the difference between our hobby and the fishing analogy is that you are far more likely to be in a club as a flyer and your club knows if you have bmfa membership.

Jez

Interesting question....I've flown at lots where I've either needed to prove I've had an A or B cert as well as the insurance. Never been asked to prove my BMFA card was actually mine, but I wouldn't be offended if I had to show my photocard driving license - after all, I need it to collect MY parcel from the post office depot!

the thought of why you would need to do this saddens me

As an organiser you have put reasonable conditions of flying in place to ensure safety. The A cert shows you have been tested on basic safety procedures and you ask for flyers to be insured just in case something did go wrong. You then ask them to produce some documentation to back this up. IT is now a question of responsibility. Is it now the responsibility of the organiser to check he is not being lied to and the documents are show are valid. If this is the case the BMFA would need to produce forge resistant documents with photos and a electronic scanning system like a passport linked to a live data base. I mean just how far to you need to go. Even passports are not infallible. If an organiser passes someone to fly with forged papers and damaged is caused requiring financial compensation is the organiser responsible? I think not

It is all about reasonable procedures and proportionality. Taking someone's word may be old fashioned but it is still a valid check. If you are lied to that is not your fault.

Edited By Phil 9 on 01/03/2014 07:44:26

Dave, yes I think you're right - at least in part!

Insurance cover is extended automatically to "the Committee Members of any affiliated club and all lawful club activities are also indemnified."

Additionally, for events;

"Event Cover

The indemnity is extended to cover any liabilities arising from holding a model flying event, including club open days, fly-ins and public shows. Clubs should complete and return an Event and Public Show form from the office, upon receipt of the form a confirmation of cover letter is sent to the club. (Subject to approval)"

There's more here on the BMFA website.