Bending nose wheel leg wire

Hi all,

Hope I'm in the correct section but this one seemed most appropriate. Having already snapped one nose wheel leg wire I thought I'd better seek some advice! I have to bend the nose wheel wire 90 degrees to take the nose wheel. Last attempt was heating bend point with a heat source and then, clamped in vice, tried to bend with a pair of Mole grips and gentle 'tease' with a small hammer. Result- 'ping' and snap! I have one leg (not my bodily one) left so need to get it right. Any 'top tips' or best methods to achieve desired result? I looked up September 2007 R.C.M.E issue re the nose wheel article but not really applicable to my problem.

Thanks in anticipation,

Winco Steve

Advert

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice but two problems. I'm in rural Spain with very limited access to aero modelling accessories. Looked at the link re wire bender but, with postage to here, will cost best part of £50. Probably never use it again so bit of an extravagance when other hobby bits need funds. If all else fails I will try again but with a bit less oooomph!

Thanks again,

ps. Wire is 8 SWG

Winco Steve

Hi Steve I have used heat a vice to hold still while I beat it into submission. Heat does take away the hardening on the piano wire so be warned. I have also had some so called piano wire that was so brittle it just snapped when you tried to bend it. Another option may be one of those collets that includes an axle on my phone so cant send a link. They are used on e flite retract legs
Good luck
Cheers
Danny

Hi Steve, Few they might be but I too know the occasional downsides of living in rural Euroland! teeth 2

However, I treated myself to a wirebender as above on one of my forays to Blighty and I made a very passable curly mainwheel leg for my Fournier RF4 at the first attempt. It doesn't make me an expert but if you can PM me, we can sort out a diagram and some dimensions and I'll happily knock up a leg for you and bung it into the care of La Poste...thumbs up

Pete

Hi Peter,

Very kind offer, much appreciated. Well, 25 degrees today down at the orange tree lined flying field.....not all bad mate, is it! If I can just hold you in reserve till I sort out my 'leg' thus far would be very helpful. You never know I might succeed second time around. It's all a bit complicated and loads of fiddling about with it has already been done with just this one hurdle to overcome.

I had to buy a new suitcase last time back in the UK just to bring aero modelling supplies home!

Thanks very much, I will update with results (good or bad).

Best wishes,

Winco Steve

Hi all,

just an update...if any interest? Managed to bend wire successfully by heating material and bending it around a similar piece of wire held in vice. Yes, holding nose wire directly in vice is not recommended as the vice jaws produce a cutting effect and weaken material which makes snapping more likely. Also, heating nose wire in mole grips reduces the heat sink effect of heating in vice.

Thanks to all,

Winco Steve

I know you have already completed your task Winco but I have found a couple of cheaper options. A more cost effective wire bender is the Chronos wire bender - £7.61. You do need to clamp it or use between two screwed down battens but it will bend the wire OK.

**LINK**

Failing that there is the Sieg version at £13.94: **LINK**

I have the Chronos one and can't recommend it.

The first time I used mine (to bend 2.5mm wire I think), the fulcrum pin just rounded off as it was too soft. Also it is swaged into the bender and came lose - this is an excellent way to kill your knuckles on the vice!

I complained to Chronos who were very good and offered me choice of refund or replacement.