Airbrush from Lidl - any good?

Advert

My experience of a (just one) diaphragm compressor was disappointing. Particularly as it aged. Although the claimed pressure is 45 psi, my own struggled to get to 20.

The air flow also had a slight pulsing.

The airbrush itself i am sure is good enough for the typical work ordinary modellers do, that is a small spray gun. If art work is your interest, it will not be what you ideally would seek. Although as with most things, very good art work could be achieved, but more skill and effort would be necessary, just not ideal.

In my case i purchased, by chance a oil free, piston compressor, with air receiver from B&Q for £20. It is a matter of luck and buying when an opportunity arises, rather when you want or need something.

The unit shown in the ebay link is a generic compressor that is badged by many companies. I have two of them and they are fairly good, but as Erfolg says they are prone to pulsing, even when used with a water trap.

Any compressor is good if it has a receiver (tank) and it fills it up quickly, but you must remember to regularly drain said tank.

A dual action brush gives a much better control, but does take some practice, so the Lidl one would be good for your first steps into airbrushing, but as and when necessary step up to a dual action one. I use PAASCH and IWATA and recommend both.

Edited By Budgie Daz on 20/03/2014 17:06:43