What motor, ESC etc for a Barnstormer 63"?

Nigel Day

I'm just starting on a barnstormer 63" as my second build and am going electric.

Can any of you who might have built the same, with electric, tell me what motor, ESC etc you used?

I'm not going to make any substantial mods to it (intentionally anyway!) but I'll be using it as a trainer for a fair while. Whilst it won't be doing any advanced aerobatics (except while crashing), I want to do more than putter around the sky with it.

From the little I've picked up so far, the recommended 4Max setup for it looks a little over the top (here).

I guess that it'll weigh somewhere between 5 and 7lbs so I suspect that I'll be looking at a motor that provides something in the region of 800w. Being an older style plane I guess it'll need a reasonably sized prop but have no idea what diameter and pitch.

Again, from the little I've absorbed from what I've read, using Lipos, the voltage will be around 14 and an ESC of 60-80amps should suffice. The size of the battery, provided it gives 14v, will determine how long it might fly and perhaps how quickly the power can be delivered.

Any advice gratefully received.

Advert

My Magnatilla uses a Turnigy 3548 900kv, 60A esc, 12x6 prop on 4s 4000 lipo. Model is similar size to a Barnstormer 63, weighs just over 6lb so would have similar power requirements. Power draw is 460W, current during about 8 - 10 mins flight of aerobatics, touch & goes etc is 24A.

I use a Turnigy 3548 1100kv with a 12x6 prop fuelled by a 3s 5000 Lipo in my 4 channel Super 60. Not too sure of the weight of the model but it performs well ( changing to a 13 inch prop will give a near vertical climb ), flight times around 20 minutes. I have the Barnstormer 63 plans/ribs etc and intend using a similar setup in that when built.

Hi Pete, you'll be surprised then when you know that I'm only using a 40amp esc. I can't remember what the current draw is, however I did measure what it was when initially the model had a 60amp esc. I then placed the smaller esc in the model as the current drawn was within the limits for it. When I finish rebuilding it (after it's crash) I will check current consumption again.

Oh, one last question. I've read about programming boards for these electric motor jobbies.

If I understand correctly, the ESC needs to be setup/configured for the motor (and other bits?) it's connected to. This can be done musically or sometimes by using a programming board. For a numpty like me, is a programming board likely to help or make it more complicated - and do most/all of the ESCs work with a programming board?

Thanks in advance.

NIgel,

I'd agree that a 3S pack is really going to struggle with keeping a 63" semi-aerobat (5 - 7lb) aloft with any authority.

I'd suggest the same set-up that I use in my 65", 7lb Hawker Cygnet biplane;

4260 500Kv outrunner

14x8 prop

60A ESC

5S 4000 li-po

This allows the Ciggie to take off at half-throttle, but to climb at 45° if needs be. Aerobatics can be as spritely or as relaxed as you please.

Oh, and a programming board is worth its weight in gold.  I try to use Turnigy Plush ESCs whenever possible, so my board is compatible with most of my fleet.  There are plenty on eBay.....

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 21/03/2014 20:27:15

Programming boards - yes, they do take a lot of effort out of the set-up procedure, Nigel. Without one, it's achievable but requires a bit of practice in interpreting the tones and setting the parameters on the throttle switch.

My preferred ESC is the Hobbywing Pentium/Fentium/Flyfun series (they've had to change the name a few times!) which has a programming card, readily available for about a fiver. This card can be used on Turnigy Plush ESC's (which are re-badged Pentiums) and a few others. It makes setting up desperately simple.

Be aware that most cards are limited to the small range of ESC's they'll work with....

Pete