Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Hi Danny, please put me down for a set of hinges also. I'm still intending to join in, but given the headscratching and modifying I'm doing with the SLEC/Apache one I'm currently building I might be a bit Chipmunked out by October smiley

I would like some advice on making some detail parts such as the nav lights and housings - would you prefer me to start a separate thread for that?

David

Advert

Hi David, I will add you to the list for hinges. I think for any questions you have that you want to discus now, rather than next winter, then a general forum post would be best.

Hi Martyn, I don't think we should be in a hurry, at the moment we have a central thread for us Bryant builders to discuss parts and preparations, throw in a few pics for fun by all means. The other Chipmunk stuff going on right now is not really anything to do with this project, and though interesting to follow will cloud the water as to exactly what we are doing.

Anyway, I am open to suggestions but the build isn't due to start for around 26 weeks!

Cheers

Danny

I'm with Nev on the preferring building to flying bit. Since I'm well into my second model and still haven't flown at all yet I guess that's pretty self-evident!

Same for Colin & Kevin, for a third model and first 'scale' it'll probably need to be 'nice try sonny' rather than 'blimey. looks just like the real thing, just much smaller'.

As soon as you firm up the price and are ready to order from SLEC, I'm happy to pay by PayPal in advance. Just don't get run over by a runaway Apache OK?smiley

Posted by Danny Fenton on 15/04/2014 15:59:44:

Hi Martyn, I don't think we should be in a hurry, at the moment we have a central thread for us Bryant builders to discuss parts and preparations, throw in a few pics for fun by all means. The other Chipmunk stuff going on right now is not really anything to do with this project, and though interesting to follow will cloud the water as to exactly what we are doing.

Anyway, I am open to suggestions but the build isn't due to start for around 26 weeks!

Cheers

Danny

Well said Danny - steady as she goes with a firm hand on the wheel Cap'n!

Posted by Danny Fenton on 15/04/2014 12:13:11:

Just a quick update. I have spoken to the guys at SLEC and they have come up with what I think is a great price. However by the time you add postage to me and then postage on to you guys it rises a bit.

This is not the final price as we are still looking at options for the tooling, we may still have to drill the holes but it is reckoned we can use the larger tool to just "kiss" the surface to indicate where the hole needs to be.

The current numbers are £12.50 a set, but thats plus VAT and postage. By the time I have bought packaging, and added another £3 postage out to you guys we will be getting on for £20 a set. So I think that is probably a realistic target.

I am going to have to pay for these up front, so if anybody has had a change of heart please let me know? I still have a few items of clothing from the Greenacres/RCM&E bash last year that I got lumbered with, due to non payment, I don't want that again please....

Anyway don't do anything yet, let's wait and see the final quote with the right tooling

Cheers

Danny

Danny if it helps any and the order can be done before Greenacres, I can collect them from SLEC and bring them with me.

That will save on one lot of postage at least.

I only live 30 minutes away from SLEC and consider it my local model shop.

Kev

Hi Kevin thats a good idea, lets wait until we see what the final costing is, if we order the whole lot then the postage is £7.20 I have asked to have one set first to check the size etc against the plan, so that first one is going to be £7.20 regardless. I think it would be safer that way. But the subsequent order could indeed be lowered by your kind offer of help. You would of course then be locked into coming to Greenacres wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Just wanted to say I wouldn't expect Danny to pay up front for the hinges and am happy to sort something out prior to the parts being paid for.

Following a few other things in the thread recently I thought it might be of interest to outline my entry. This will be my first scale build. Prior to finding the thread I had decided on the Chipmunk from advice from other experienced scale modellers. A lot of advice pointed towards buying the 1/5th Blackhorse (is that correct)? Anyway since starting out I have become fed up with ARTF,s for all the usual reasons and I thought this model a good size to start with. So the Chipmunk has no retracts to worry about but flaps to play with.

I have almost totally converted to electric flight and am not going to argue about that with the IC group each to their own. I had thought that 800 watts should work OK. A few calculations points towards 5S as 4S will draw over 60amps. 5S seems to offer the flight time and power if a 5000Mah battery is used and if its a bit high well flight times can only be better. I have recently discovered purple coloured motors which seem to be tailored to the modeller so am pretty sure I will go down that route.

I'm going for separate wing mounted servos simply because we have the technology so plan to use it and to me there won't be a large weight disadvantage and you will need very, very short legs to walk under the wings to see them (even on the full size).

I am thinking that the undercarriage as shown should be OK as from all accounts the chippy should fly like reasonable low winger and these should put up with the odd bump without complications.

I think I have found photos of my colour scheme a Swiss red and black civilian example because there are just so many RAF trainer schemes about. I'm thinking matt paint is easier to apply with a high gloss varnish but need something with a bit of flex in it to stop crazing. Of course fuel proofing won't be an issue.

My plan was to use this as a test bed for a bit of scale finish but it should be a day to day flyer to start practicing the scale schedule. Wing tapes and stitching with an enhancement of rivets. I have done a fair amount of static scale so believe its the effect that counts rather than total adherence to scale so important panel lines. A reasonable cockpit with a pilot as I hate to see pilotless drones unless that's what it was.

Thinking at this time that Solartex might speed up the finish keeping it simple with this model. I have learnt careful temperature control of the iron should make this a durable enough finish. Probably a lighter weight material on the control surfaces but am always open to advice.

Solid surface finish is yet to be decided as is finding the time but at least this is keeping the interest going.

Spinner is another item to get over I think but have not really measured it against commercial items. Following the thread I think I can give an impression of the wheels with a bit of detail to commercial items as these are a big part of this planes visual presence.

Well blow me over I seem to have done the arm chair bit. No excuses now then.

Hi Danny and Chris. futher from our conversation we had on the flying field i have as you now know looked at this thread and am more than likely to have a go at this, although i am not that experienced at building, though i've just finished my DB Tigermoth and am reasonably pleased with it, although i've made a few mistakes along the way i feel i have learned a fair bit by that so why not, even though it won't be anywhere near as brilliantly scaled as your's will be. You gotta start somewhere

I'm definitely sticking with the October start, earlier is impractical for me. I'm fine with starting a thread when I get going. As far as my choice of subject, I think I will be sticking with a bog-standard RAF trainer scheme because that to me is what the Chipmunk was really all about and what I flew in. If there are a few more the same, I think that's good because we could line them up for a very realistic group photo. Wouldn't that be nice? If Ican find the serial no. of the Chipmunks used for ATC cadet experience at RAF Waterbeach in 1961, I'll use one of those. Otherwise, an example from Shawbury around 1959/1960, because that's where I had my first Chipmunk flight.

Still pondering the power choice. Although I'm heavily into electric, for this one a petrol two stroke or glow four stroke still attract. To me they are particularly appropriate and the sound is more realistic. Not definite yet though. I'll think about the finishing methods later, although as I remember, at Waterbeach the plane I flew in was already using dayglow orange flashes, so I don't yet know how I can reproduce that. Plenty of time to ponder. (From Burlington, North Carolina! Home on Friday).

Thanks Kevin, I will let you know

G-YRUS plenty of time for loads of armchair modelling between now and then

Andy, good man, you will enjoy it I am sure and you have Chris and I on your doorstep, just shout and we will come over

Are you going to want a set of hinges cut? If so I will add your name to the list?

Darn if I had known you were in the States Colin I would have asked you to get me some Arizona jeans wink 2 Comfiest I have ever worn, the three pairs i bought back this time last year wont last forever.....

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Andy Muckley on 15/04/2014 21:23:17:

Hi Danny and Chris. futher from our conversation we had on the flying field i have as you now know looked at this thread and am more than likely to have a go at this, although i am not that experienced at building, though i've just finished my DB Tigermoth and am reasonably pleased with it, although i've made a few mistakes along the way i feel i have learned a fair bit by that so why not, even though it won't be anywhere near as brilliantly scaled as your's will be. You gotta start somewhere

Great to hear you're hoping to join in Andy. We are all going to learn from this one, and hopefully end up with a cracker of a model at the end

Did you spot that a phone call to order the stuff from Traplet, mentioning this thread, will get you a handy discount? thumbs up

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/04/2014 00:04:51

Hi Danny & Chris, and any other in the know, on the 11th David P.Williams mentions lithoplate, is this a commodity that we'll be likely to use on the Chippie, if so l need to be on the lookout for some!

Is there anything thing else that you can think of that might be handy to source beforehand!

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Chris i did read about the discount, cheers, what do i need to order ? is it plan, cowl,canopy, wood pack, or can i get a set of CNC. cut parts or is that considered cheating? don't want to let the side down or myself. Anyway i got you and Danny for mentor's and lucky i get to see you for any advice, cheers again

hi Glenn litho plate is always worth having. it is getting harder to find these days, might be worth saving an Ebay search for litho plate? As Kevin says cans can be a source if you are desperate, but proper litho is perfectly flat which is much better.

The area that David was showing I think was the tail cone, lith wouldnt be my first choice in this case, I would make something from blue foam, and coat it with lightweight glass cloth.

As to items you may need, some aluminium tape would be handy for detailing.

Andy, that is great, I will add your name to the list

Cheers

Danny

Sorry Andy you must have posted as I did

its not cheating to get the cnc pack, Chris and I have ours so yes canopy, cowl, plan, cnc parts.

You will need some nice 3" wheels, so keep your eyes peeled.

Traplet are also selling the magazine with the build article nice and cheap for us

should be fun

cheers

Danny

Hi Danny and all.

I was/am part way through a BT Kingfisher as a first scale project but that was started four years ago. It sounds that the chippy could be even better first project given the guidance that will be available. The October start will be ideal as I have a 52mile in 24hr charity walk to train for, this takes place in June, which unfortunately rules out Greenacres.The chippy has been on a wish list for some time. Come October there can be no excuse's not to fly or build. It looks like it could be the ideal way to get started with scale and would like to aim at enter scale competitions in the future. Please add me to the list for hinges.

Looking forward to October

Meant to say SW the Kingfisher looks a simple plan from the outside but the hinging arrangement make it more of a challenge doesn't it. I am following a friend build one on RCSB and he is doing a super job but some of it is tricky. And as for the cockpit, well you just can't really ignore it can you?

If you want a link to David Quartermaines BT Kingfisher build blog send me a PM?

Cheers

Danny

Hi David, I couldn't see myself doing that piece on the tail in litho! Had thought that there would be other places it could be useful! Did do a search on eBay, failure! Put a message out to my friends on FB and I think I may be in luck with a couple of sheets! face 20

Thanks Danny for the ali tape tip, will add a roll to the shopping list! laugh

Kevin, I don't do fizzy drinks, so beer cans it would have to be!! beer

Thanks all.