Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

Thanks Chaps, but its Chris at SLEC who is the star. Once I explained the situation he was happy to cut a few sets in some spare time that the CNC machines had.

Dennis, you wont need to register interest on this thread any longer just go direct to SLEC and place an order thumbs up

Cheers

Danny

I have to say that I am impressed with SLEC, I emailed them last night, I received an answer today, Yes we will send off the hinges next week to you (Aust ) once their done. Can not ask for better than that

Dennis, I tend to buy the bits as I go, therefore the total cost gets spread out over a period of time, AND SWMBO doesn't hark at me about the money spent on models, the old saying " let sleeping dogs lay" applies here

Barry

I have been very impressed with SLEC too, they will certainly get my custome again that's for sure

I am sorry I haven't done a wood list, I tend to have plenty of most sizes ready and waiting. However i am waiting for SLEC to give me the nod that some nice light stock has arrived. Bloomin wind turbines and Mosquito fuselages are grabbing the best wood smile o The Mosquitoes I do not object too, nor the wind farms either to be honest wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Don't worry Danny, it's not your job to do that.

You've already done us a great service by sorting out the discount for the plan, cowl etc pack and getting the first batch of hinges done and distributed.

As a newbie, it'll be a good exercise for me to read the plans and estimate the wood required. Since most of those doing the model are experienced modellers, they're likely to have a stock of wood anyway and they'll only need to top it up if/when required.

Hi All,

I was thinking about building a Chippy when I came across this thread. Now I'm convinced I should join in and build one. I am going to model it on G-ARMB which was the one I trained in while at BA's Hamble college 1978-80.

I'm certainly no expert scale builder, but I'll be very happy if it looks something like the real one and flies reasonably well. So, minimal rivets and fine detail on mine!

I've ordered today the full Traplett kit and the hinges from Slec. Power will be from a low time Saito 72 I was wondering what to do with. So, I guess I'm now committed.

I look forward to starting and good luck to all

Paul

chipmunk g-armb.jpg

Hi Terry. I'm looking to do mine as it would have been when I flew in it, in 1961. That was the first year of the dayglo scheme and I think was applied a bit differently to the standardised version later, which is illustrated in the painting copied to me by Ray Blyth.

Incidentally I've been in touch with the Curator of the Waterbeach heritage museum project and I'm going to meet him there for a last look before it disappears under houses. The Army moved out last year and the base was closed because of the defence spending cuts.

Terry, I think the airfield's still intact. There's a video on YouTube of a Spitfire being landed on the main runway there quite recently. It's worth a look and was the first sight I've had of it in 53 years.

I did finish Ray's book and thoroughly enjoyed it. There's a couple of anomalies, but that's quite understandable! The photograph which he describes as showing a Whitley is actually a Handley Page Harrow. Also the Grace Spitfire he describes as having served in the Battle of Britain never did of course. Mk IXs didn't get into service until 1942 and the Grace plane saw most of its's action around the invasion in 1944.

However, it's a great read and I have the greatest respect for what he achieved. He asked me to keep him posted on the model project and I'll do that. Also I'm going to see if I can speak to the current owner of WP848 and ask if I can have a look at it. Once it's back in the air I'd gladly pay him for a go in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys kit ,canopy , and cowl bought from cosford show. Having visited RAF. Conningsby last friday, while they we're running up the spit, lanc and hurricane, they rolled out a chippy to run up as well and was in the dayglo orange livery and quickly filmed it and grabbed a few snaps too, this will be my theme i think

One of the challenges for me will be how to replicate this

mainwheel-zoom.jpg

Note - this is bigger then rivets and rib tape.

How to get a working suspension that is strong enough and looks like the real thing? I am not concerned about functioning disc brakes, but a rim mounted disc and calliper and suspension linkage will need to be in place.

Sorting stuff like this will make the build very interesting..

Anyone got thoughts on this particular challenge?

M

Have been thinking about this myself. How about using the Unitracts sports oleos. A bit of modification to add the torque links and additional detail as required ?

Here's a picture of where I have used them on another model, no added detail though.

oleo.jpg

Edited By Martin Fane on 25/07/2014 12:01:50

Edited By Martin Fane on 25/07/2014 12:02:22

I bought a set of these and used the innards to make the ones in this thread. They're larger, around 1/5 scale, and you do need a lathe and milling facilities (or do a lot of filing). I don't think I'll bother with the brakes other than the obvious hose as the scale fidelity of the rest of the SLEC/ Apache kit doesn't warrant too much effort, but it's been good practice for other, more scale, projects.