Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

Danny

I have just finished reading your latest piece in RCME and found mention of the Chipmunk joint build. I don't know how I missed any previous mention. Accordingly I started reading this thread and immediately ordered the kit from Traplet. I tried to obtain the hinge pieces from SLEC who said that I would have to deal directly with you. May I purchase a set from you if you have any left unsold or put my name down for when/if ?? you order some more sets.

This will give added impetus to completing the build of my David Bryant Storch which is about 2/3 completed and challenging me every time I go into my workshop.

Regards

John

Hi

Another late comer to this thread, having just read Danny's article in RCME, this build looks like one I'd really like to join so I'll be onto Traplet later today to order the plan etc.

I have a stalled BT Me109 on the bench and am 2/3 through a Mick Reeves Rf4 so the October start date looks good. Shame about missing out on the laser cut hinge set although I shall try SLEC - maybe more requests will prompt them to run off some more sets.

Really enjoyed reading through these posts, looking forward to more..............

Hello All,

After reading Danny's article in RCME and the previous 36 pages of this blog I am hoping that it is not too late to join the build? Having never built a model as intricate as this I do however already have a copy of the plans, cowl and canopy in cold storage waiting for the day when I felt confident enough to build it. Add to this the fact is it is going to be electric then all my reasons for not starting have been answered!

I have just ordered the wood pack from Traplet but was unable to get a copy of the March/April 1999 edition of RC Scale International as it is out of stock, but I'm sure I will get by without it.

Finally is it possible to get a set of hinges from somewhere or am I way too late?

Regards

Dennis Mulhair

Hi John, Martin and Dennis.

My understanding about the hinge sets is that SLEC would only cut a batch. Maybe it needed to use up a whole sheet of material? I'm not really sure of the reason.

So if I'm correct, and Danny will soon put me right, they won't supply individually.

The only thing I can think of, is that we leave it some time to see if anyone else would like a set. Once we have another reasonable number, SLEC can be approached again for a price.

(It then remains a bit of a catch 22, that we only find out a price for a particular number of hinge sets. If that's too much for someone and they drop out, then the price may well change. So it's not the easiest thing to organise, but I'm sure we can try).

Hello Chris

Thanks for your response. I have made similar hinges for my Storch and it was a pain in the nethers. I will gladly wait until the build starts in the hope that numbers increase sufficiently to make a further order from SLEC worthwhile. I have ordered the motor from Hobbyking but promised myself that I will not give in to temptation until October - perhaps a peek at the plans is allowed?

John

Thanks Dennis. I'd forgotten that my Jedi Master had mentioned the build in latest RCME article. That might bring enough people out of the woodwork to make a second hinge batch a possibility.

I'm lucky enough to have mine so I only need to buy the plans, cowl, canopy, pre-cut rib set, wood, motor, ESC, battery, wheels, rivet tapes, micro imitation zips and whatever else gets thrown up before Oct 1st. smiley

I originally ordered 20 sets and that got us the good price. If you want a set and accept it could be anything between ?20 - ?30 a set then its doable. I dont think Slec operate the cnc business by having stock, they do seem happy to do one offs, but you will have to pay up front and remember the ?7 shipping fee.
If you all put your name in this thread as DEFINITELY interested then as Chris says we can look at how much interest there is?
Cheers
Danny

I would also definitely take a set.

Danny - sorry but I interpreted the previous posts as meaning after the initial batch you organised we would have to contact SLEC ourselves to purchase more of these parts. I contacted them yesterday but am waiting for a response from Chris on Monday. Sorry if you already have a dialogue open with them.

Martin

Good morning Danny

When I ordered my bits from SLEC I asked about the hinge packs and was finally put on to someone who knew what I was talking about-Chris?- and he said that these were a special order for Danny Fenton and that he ie you, was the person I should contact. I appreciate that you may not want to be involved with the business of re-ordering but if you want someone to help with this task I am more than welcome to help out.

Whatever I am a definite.

best regards

John

Hi John, anybody can give a drawing to SLEC and they will cut it to my knowledge. Perhaps they feel the cad is my work and do not want to give that away without my okay?
It is a lot of work and a quite a financial outlay you are gambling that nobody will drop out and either push the price per person up, or you are left with sets you cannot sell.
Cheers
Danny

Danny

Sorry about my last. I did order my parts from Traplet and enquired about the hinges from SLEC. Let us see if the numbers rise to 15 or so and I will certainly be prepared to give as much help as you need. October is a long way ahead and I am optimistic that the present requirement of 4? will increase to meet the target of 15 (or whatever SLEC set as their minimum order).

Yours

John

Just had a nice conversation with Chris Stevens at SLEC I guess you guys have been bending his ear

Anyway Chris has agreed to cut and stock a few sets, they are available to you for £20 so a good gesture on price too Thanks Chris if you are looking in thumbs up

He was reluctant to sell them without my okay as the cad drawings were mine.

I hope Traplet don't get upset but I did send them the drawings some time ago but they have not taken up my offer of producing them to go alongside their parts so I guess SLEC are okay to produce them as Traplet do not.

I suggest you give Chris a call at SLEC if you want a set.

Cheers

Danny