35 years to build a plane

barry grubb

Hi all,

Just thought I would post here to see if anyone can match the thread title. I started to build my plane (I think it’s a President Hi-Boy) 35 years ago. For numerous reasons along the way I have stared, stopped and restarted building but never completed the project until now. In the last few weeks I have removed the seized up glow plug engine, removed the fuel tank, discarded the 27Mhz radio gear (although I have retained one of the Futaba servos) and fitted an all new Brushless motor, ESC and LiPo battery. Today The plane and I went along to the local field and had 3 short flights, all without incident apart from a couple of unexpected brown outs (I think that’s the term, the plane went into failsafe for one or two seconds). Whilst these events didn’t cause any damage as the plane recovered very quickly I will be replacing the receiver before the next flight. All in all I had a great time and have well and truly been bitten by the flying bug once again after a long absence.

Barry

Advert

Well, there is another thread here about my recently completed repair to my Powerhouse model, that took over 40 years. Actually I think it might have taken 47 but I am not quite sure which year I crashed it. Anyway, congratulations on getting it in the air at last. Have you got a full range receiver in there? My son and I have found out the hard way that there is a difference

Don't throw away the seized engine, it might just be gummed up with castor oil residues. It may live to fly again.

John

Barry, don't throw the receiver away either. If it's Spektrum then post it back to Horizon Hobby for them to check. Address link here. It might also be that you need a separate receiver battery, as it may be that there isn't enough power getting to the receiver when the servos are all going, so a separate pack would have them running off a different supply to the motor. You'll need to snip one of the wires coming out of ESC. If memory serves rightly, usually the middle wire.

Posted by Colin Bernard on 31/03/2014 11:48:21:

Well my Veron Tiger Moth is halfway complete. I got that when the kit was first launched which I think was mid 70s - so that would put it in the 40 year area!

Have you a build thread? I built one around 1984 and I still have it, the only surviving plane from my early days. It needs a little restoring now and I have an OS 40FS ready to go in..

Details please!!

Rich

Posted by barry grubb on 30/03/2014 22:34:28:

Hi all,

Just thought I would post here to see if anyone can match the thread title. I started to build my plane (I think it’s a President Hi-Boy) 35 years ago. For numerous reasons along the way I have stared, stopped and restarted building but never completed the project until now. In the last few weeks I have removed the seized up glow plug engine, removed the fuel tank, discarded the 27Mhz radio gear (although I have retained one of the Futaba servos) and fitted an all new Brushless motor, ESC and LiPo battery. Today The plane and I went along to the local field and had 3 short flights, all without incident apart from a couple of unexpected brown outs (I think that’s the term, the plane went into failsafe for one or two seconds). Whilst these events didn’t cause any damage as the plane recovered very quickly I will be replacing the receiver before the next flight. All in all I had a great time and have well and truly been bitten by the flying bug once again after a long absence.

Barry

Er no, I thought I was bad! I have a Glen's Models Extra 58" that is near completion - it has taken over ten years!

Rich

ps welcome!

Edited By Rich2 on 31/03/2014 12:50:09

Posted by barry grubb on 30/03/2014 22:34:28:

.........fitted an all new Brushless motor, ESC and LiPo battery. Today The plane and I went along to the local field and had 3 short flights, all without incident apart from a couple of unexpected brown outs (I think that’s the term, the plane went into failsafe for one or two seconds). Whilst these events didn’t cause any damage as the plane recovered very quickly I will be replacing the receiver before the next flight.

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forum! Before you send the Rx back or replace it, those symptoms could have one of several causes, none of which will be resolved with a new Rx.

Brown-outs are not signal losses but voltage reductions, which could be caused by the BEC shutting down - this might produce the effect of a failsafe situation. Aerial orientation is another possibility.

If you were to post details of your motor, ESC and battery, together with the radio make and configuration, we may be able to establish where the problem liesthumbs up

Pete

I bought a Veron Mini-Concord in 1976 and part built it before I moved to my current house in 1987. However I stored the plane in a lock-up garage with other aeromodelling gear during the house move. The garage was subsequently broken into and the fuselage and kit box with all the accessories and plans were stolen together with a number of other items. The wings were left behind and I just left them to rot in a shed. However I did buy another Mini-Concord on E-bay a few years ago that has never flown, and I did then preserve the original wings which need repair.

I make that 38 years since I started the project and I am not sure I will ever finish it,but you never know!

MJE

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 31/03/2014 22:17:52:

It's not a legal requirement and doesn't have to be BMFA insurance, Paul - although insurance is very strongly recommended, I agree.

Hardly the way to welcome a new member, I'd have thought?....disgust

Pete

What's wrong? I did include a happy smiley and did put a post earlier, but this silly site didn't submit had to type it out again, except made it more succinct not bothered to type the whole lot again.