Lost my slope virginity today.......!!!???

To be exact,

I lost my slope soaring virginity today.

It was blowing a gale at the club field first thing this morning. In such situations, a few friends often go to a nearby slope for some flying fun and I've accompanied them a couple of times but never actually flew anything.

This time, I stopped off at the house, picked up a small 1.5m glider ( a bit like a Skyzone Explorer) and threw it in the back of the car.

Aprox 20 mins later I was flying this very light weight glider in what seemed like gale force winds. And, after 30 mins or so of enjoying the ride I managed to land without incident. A while later I enjoyed another flight of similar length.

Now, while I don't think that I'm going to give up flying my powered sport planes any time soon, I did enjoy the care-fee nature of today's flying. And, to cap it all, an hours flying consumed a tiny amount from the flight battery.

So, will I go again? Yes for sure! To have another flying opportunity when conditions dictate really expands the enjoyment of the hobby.

Steve.

New part-time sloper.

Advert

Whereabouts do you slope fly Steve?

I've been spending a few hours on Phoenix 5 doing some slope soaring, and find it quite relaxing. We have a big hill near us in Kingsclere, Berkshire, where guys from our club fly. Never been there to fly myself, but walk the dogs up there sometimes.

I have 2 powered gliders, a Phoenix 2000 and a balsa 1500mm rudder/elevator glider. Never used the Phoenix 2000 yet, so hope to give this a try sometime this year.

Well done Steve, yep, I've been on the slope for the first time over the last 18m and wished I'd done it far sooner. As you say, you just fly far longer.

For me, the interest/learning curve has been absorbing while I've started to fly thermal and tow-line at the club flat field. The last two models have been gliders and the next two will be as well.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 05/04/2014 19:04:52

This is the view from the top of the slope. Tierz, Huesca, Spain.

tierz a1 copy.jpg

It's very craggy as you can see. Luckily there is a large flat landing area behind although there are many rocks to keep clear of.

I might add a Phoenix 2000 or its smaller 1600 brother to my fleet one day. In fact it would be ideal for this site given its tough fuselage.

• 3 months later...

Well, after a spectacularly unsuccessful first try at sloping a few weeks ago, yesterday saw me lose my slope cherry as well. The Easyglider proved a better platform than my venerable Zagi and it all went very smoothly and enjoyably until drizzly rain stopped play. Didn't get the chance to maiden my Speedo but had time before the rain for a couple of extended flights with the Easyglider and discovered the joys of free energy, The whistle of the wind on the wings is luvverly.

I'll definitely be keeping a sloper ready as an alternative for when it's too windy at the club flying site. Having a decent slope within half-an-hour's drive makes it a real viable alternative for the right conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

Have now had three trips to the slope in the past couple of weeks and am totally and completely hooked -to the extent that I had to get a couple of flights in yesterday, after flying at the club site. The soarer's club had a slope day on Saturday, which was excellent, with light winds, but loads of thermal activity so had several good flights with the Easyglider and was able to maiden the Speedo as well. Yesterday the wind was a few knots higher, and more steady and so could have stayed up there all day. It's a brilliant new area of the hobby for me and am still buzzing after yesterday and the weekend.

I was completely surprised by the Speedo Jamie - I expected, from what I'd read, a very fast, slippery and twitchy aeroplane, but with the CG and throws set up as per the manual, she was as good as gold and drama free. It was quite a gentle breeze on Saturday, probably no more than 8-10mph at the most, and the Speedo was just fine. Once the wind dropped below that and I had to land, my inexperience on the slope came in to play and I buried the model up to the canopy n the thankfully soft ground. No damage done at all and lived to fly again later on.

That said, the nose is packed with lead, as I wanted to ensure that the CG was spot on, as recommended. I have no problem adding lead to models and have always operated on the adadge that whilst a nose heavy model might fly badly, a tail heavy model flies once

Maybe in more of a blow and at higher speeds I might find her a bit more twitchy, but for now, on the couple of flights I've had, I'm happy with the throws and CG.

You'll probably be totally hooked Mart49, like I was 3 years ago. Now sloping is mostly what I do and I don't possess a powered model anymore, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Flying using only the forces of nature to keep the plane in the air, and the new skills I've learn't along the way just turns me on like powered flight never did.

Steve

A470soaring.blogspot.co.uk

Leccyflyer, I'm glad you got on well with it. I flew my one last year and there very limited in space for fitting all the rc gear....limited is being nice if I was honest. Once the lead is in thats it. My one was twitchy and a handful. The COG was bang on too. I did as you say and it went in like a Javelin straight into the peat which was soft but watch out for the hard stuff because I found it one day and, well the fuselage doesn't like it much.

They fly quite well when they behave but watch because they have quite a sting in the tail when they decide there not happy. I had great fun with my one rolling and looping etc. You need a good stiff breeze for them I found. If you have to scratch for lift just sit it out with the speedo and get a good thermal glider for the cratching about.

Happy sloping laugh

I never found my Speedo twitchy! The elevator was very sensitive, that's all, but it was great fun doing aeros in a blow and it thermals well. The fuz was very fragile around the wing seat and I found myself having to re-enforce it internally with GF to stop it cracking every time I landed it.

Steve

A470soaring.blogspot.co.uk

I think slope soaring is a superb extension of model flying. We spend 3months or so each year in France and I always take a glider with me.

My all time favourite location is the Dune du Pyla, I could just sit there and enjoy the views.

Roger

dune du pyla ,nr arcachon a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, after a couple of disappointing visits to the farmers sloping fields with not much wind, the last few days have seen a lot of fun, thanks to the end of Bertha! The slope isn't ideal, but does face west. 40mph winds gusting more was quite an initiation to this slope flying mulurky. Managed quite a few flights of 5 mins or more, but decide to call it a day when the FW Spectre spent more time behind me than in front!

Hoping for a slightly calmer day tomorrow.