How many rules does this break....discuss?

What a crazy stunt!

The details on Facebook say the total weight lifted was 68Kg including the helicopters and ropes, and the available lifting capacity was 74Kg so they had a bit in reserve. I can only assume that the the young lady being lifted is a trained stunt person who would be quite capable of dropping from that sort of height if needed.

Advert

Posted by Martian on 11/04/2014 10:16:42:

Wow Ken such courage.. on a serious note anyone done the physics as far as I'm concerned it's a stunt involving sleight of hand so to speak..long live Barbie

When I first saw this video I sent the link to one of our clubs heli flyers, who is also a professional photographer withextensive experience of Photoshop, and significant video experience too. He has no doubts that it is genuine. With all the camera angles it would probably be more difficultto fake than to do for real.

I don't doubt the footage is real but I have some difficulty in accepting those 2 RC heli's even if they were the 700 class ( and they certainly did not look bigger) lifting the young lady. this link shows a comp run by hobbyking called the beer lift just look at the size of the quadcopters involved. I can't help thinking using 2 small heli however powerful would be drawn together as the weight was taken up also the rotors surely would start to bend upwards under load

Health and Safety is all about risk assessment. One could assume that the perpetrators assessed the risks and carried out the stunt with full knowledge of what might go wrong, but with plans in place to to ensure that nothing would go wrong. They were successful. So, no rules were broken.