RCM&E June 2014 Issue.

David Rothwell

Dave Burton made me do a double-take on page 90, under 'The Quest for Speed' paragraph heading, where he mentions the DH9, the Vickers Vimy and the Bristol Snipe. I've never heard of the last one. Is he mixing up the Bristol F.2B (which lived well into the 1930s in both military and civil aviation) with the Sopwith Snipe, or is this a Bristol model that has passed me by?

Advert

I am amazed to read Alex Whittaker refer to the Fairy FD2 as 'little known' The first Brittish aircraft the take the World aircraft speed record to over 10000 mph. And yes I am sobbing in the corner of my workshop to have misse that kit..

A member of the club I was in back in 1957 built one but I never saw it fly, another member built the Veron Lavochkin DF kit but again I never saw it fly.

Hi Moweman

I have just returned from the Deutsches Museum, and I also came close to crying. I went through the machine tool section and cried at the loss of just the local machine tool companies, George Richards, Kearns, Churchills, Craven, Asquith, David Brown. Then there was the loss of ancillary companies, not local, tensile testing, various measuring companies, such as material hardness, dimensions and so on. I really cried when I remembered the assets stripped AEI (associated engineering Industries), EE (English Electric) by GEC, whilst Siemans and AEG still exist (having a prominent presence). I had to be calmed down, as I exploded that Harold Wilson made it all possible.

Fairys was/is also a local company, they are still going, now as a general engineering business.

Yet the more I consider the demise of the UK capability the more unhappy I become. Particularly when I see all the industries that Maggie thought were not worth having, have made and kept Germany rich.

On a more positive note, I have contacted the RCM&E subscription department with respect my non delivery of my copy of the mag. The office dealt with me most effectively, quickly identifying who I was etc. Then informed me of there intentions and time scale for the delivery of the missing mag. So so far, so good.

Edited By Erfolg on 29/05/2014 17:12:38

Edited By Erfolg on 29/05/2014 17:13:56

Edited By Erfolg on 29/05/2014 17:14:22