RCM&E June 2014 Issue.

David Rothwell

Advert

Had a quick skim through.

Enjoyed Mr Ashby's editorial, with its exortation to leave the comfort of the usual club field and go and fly at an informal event. It's a move I made some years ago, and still reckon the fly-ins are better than any commercial show!

Oh yes, and there's a pic of my partner-in-crime on page nine. No, not Mr Fenton or Harris, but the very winsome lady with the trainer under her arm.......heart

tim

Doh - not a good month for me! Three daft mistakes in one article! A typo, then a "getting me words muddled moment" and finally one of those where you change your mind at the last second about something your going to say, but only change the second half of the sentence! Grrr! But the basic point's Ok - they are details really - honestly!

Ah well it will keep you on your toes - I only do it so you'll read it!

BEB

PS No, I'm not going tell you what they are you have to find out!

PPS Pete and Chris are disqualified because they already know as I told them the other night on Skype when I had read the digital version!

Don't worry BEB, the other mag I subscribe to usually manages to get at least one typo into every paragraph sentence!

This month looks good but there now seems to be an increasing trend in repeating stuff that has already appeared on this forumfrown

I thought the piece on flying in Colombia has the potential for getting you into all sorts of trouble.

At customs: "Ah, that white powder is actually cyano filler - honest - for my model aeroplanes"

At the soaring site: A simple request after a suspected brown-out of "I need to check out some new gear" gets you driven into some very dodgy areas of Bogota to meet a man called Carlos from the FBI's Most Wanted website.

Can you add any more? wink 2

Edited By FilmBuff on 07/05/2014 11:12:54

Posted by Jim Carss on 07/05/2014 10:04:44:

I feel sure the great Kendo Andersonic will have a comment on Maltese article by Nigel Hawes seeing as he is there at the moment.

well said there CJ/JC.......just back from a trip to Malta - and got the new mag---interesting the 4 page spread by Nigel...only reiterates what I've said about the model flying in the little rock in the middle of the med ... over the years.......I'll put my report on the "Malta" ...thread shortly.......even witnessed some FPV live in the capital city....

ken Anderson...ne...1 ....mag feedback dept.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/05/2014 22:01:02:

Doh - not a good month for me! Three daft mistakes in one article! A typo, then a "getting me words muddled moment" and finally one of those where you change your mind at the last second about something your going to say, but only change the second half of the sentence! Grrr! But the basic point's Ok - they are details really - honestly!

What was the editor doing? sad

Posted by Sparks on 07/05/2014 11:56:05:

Nigel's ''Project X' looks a lot like a Telemaster (see below) with a trike u/c.

Perhaps it could be named a 'Trikemaster'

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Get the name suggested in an E-mail! The prize fund just went up big time as you will read next month!

smiley

A few people have likened it to existing / previous designs, but I guess as it's a generic trainer type it was bound to look like something else, even though I cobbled it together from a few sheets of balsa one dinner break!

Incidentally it can be trike or taildragger, If the editor would let me I'd post a pic of the finished article!

We'll be opening a build blog as soon as I get back from London and I have time

Nige.

Edited By Nigel Hawes on 08/05/2014 16:56:44

• 2 weeks later...

All fine and dandy, as usual it's one of the better model flying mags.

But... Is it me or is the double page workshop feature rapidly turning into an extended advertisement for Deluxe materials?

I have no problem with this - it's good stuff - but one wonders if the quid pro quo for the factory visit (I do hope I'm not mixing mags up in my head!) is a heavy run on promoting products in the magazine...? And if so, hey, why not? The products work, and it gives out a few good hints and tips in a tutorial form. I didn't know Foam Armour can be mixed with acrylic paint.

LHF, I do agree with all of the above, the products do get frequent write ups in our local ( Aus. ) mags as well, personally I have found that altho there are some great items, that work very well, here in Aus. their pricing is a bit too high where there are similar brands work equally as well, I think.

A.A. Barry

I have not received my copy as yet, although i do not need to have it to relate to LMF's views.

I suspect there is possibly less promotion on the basis on a payment basis, but is related to products forwarded to the magazine for review, use and press releases.

On the positive side is the use of high street products by Nigel Hawes in particular. This does resinate with me, as there are not many model shops where I live in the outskirts of what is now a big city and use more frequently building type products.

The remoteness and limited access is something which I am sure is an issue with our Australian and New Zealand fellow modellers.

Another aspect of many products, is that they are broadly similar to trade products, although sold in smaller quantities and at higher prices. So perhaps more emphasis on trade product substitution, with hints on if the differences are significant, and how, if possible how to optimise for modelling purposes.

Edited By Erfolg on 20/05/2014 11:14:04

Edited By Erfolg on 20/05/2014 11:15:17

I received mine today, after a quick flick through of the free plan, most impressed, once an avid I.C modeller, I have been inducted into E.P. not saying that one is better than the other, altho in the case of multi engine models, E.P. seems a little more reliable. having disposed of all my smaller I.C engines, I am bending towards E.P for this model.

Great job Tim

Another fine issue of RCM&Esmile

A.A. Barry