Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Thats very interesting Ken, I know that there are several methods for bending wood, the two chemical ones being Alkali (caustic soda) and Ammonia treatment, both plasticise the celulose in the wood I believe. I wasn't aware of meths having this effect? I have heard that white vinegar works well if you cannot find ammonia never tried it myself.

The other non chemical methods are steaming, boiling and using water, this seems to be "cold bending" and is not as effective as they do not affect the cellulose bond, but obviously still works.

As for adding pics, this forum isn't the easiest, but then again at least the pictures will stay with the threads as a permanent addition. I hate finding something on the web which is exactly what i want to know, only to find the photos which were hosted elsewhere have long since gone, and the thread just contains white boxes, or broken link messages. So worth perservering I reckon. Chris B did this tutorial to help.

Cheers

Danny

Advert

Posted by Danny Fenton on 14/11/2014 23:17:23:

Hi Charles I have not touched F1 yet. It will probably end up with most of the port side removed to allow cell access. But it will have to have the rectangle cut from the middle eventually. My motor bulkhead sits in front of F1, the exact distance the motor needs to put the spinner back plate in the right place. The box extends back to F4.

So that F2, F3 and F4 all have the rectangular hole.

Does this help?

0530 (large).jpg

I think I actually extended the box upwards slightly so that I just had to join the tops of the engine beam holes in the bulkheads for the top of the box to fit.

Charles, if you are looking in, I just noticed F4 is not opened up to take the box, the box just ends at F4. I will have to check that I have allowed for this in my dimensions. Thought I better tell you before you glue anything

Cheers

Danny

Danny

From memory, based on the flights I did [as "self loading freight" ] my memories of the two Chippies at RAF Gatow, whilst attached to Berlin Brigade in the late 70's early 80's, the seat was so badly scuffed, scratched and paint chipped there was more aluminium showing than black paint......

Mind you pretty well all of the inside looked that way !!!!

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 17/11/2014 11:50:27

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 17/11/2014 11:51:00

As the absolute accuracy of this is out the window I can "play" a little in the cockpit. I am basing my model on the Chippy at Cosford, but I have no pics of the cockpit so may just base it on the one in those great pics from David W This will give me a chance to try a technique where you apply dollops of vaseline to the areas you want to "chip" once sprayed you just rub and the paint falls off

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 17/11/2014 12:33:46:

As the absolute accuracy of this is out the window I can "play" a little in the cockpit. I am basing my model on the Chippy at Cosford, but I have no pics of the cockpit so may just base it on the one in those great pics from David W This will give me a chance to try a technique where you apply dollops of vaseline to the areas you want to "chip" once sprayed you just rub and the paint falls off

Cheers

Danny

or you could just keep putting your pilot in and out for 20 plus years

The only chippies I can talk about (apart from dim and distant memories of Air Cadet Joyrides) are the two based at RAF Gatow, they were workhorses and not only suffered from wear and tear from the RAF but the added abuse heaped on them by Army Liaison Officers who were part of BRIXMIS and were the freight the Chippies hauled round Berlin and the Access Corridors - those chippies were battered and scuffed to hell and never seemed to get refurbished

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 17/11/2014 15:37:20

Thanks chaps yes battered seems to be the general state.

I have done a bit more on the cockpit area, I was going to make a full pair of instrument panels but I am not sure I can bring myself to put in quite so much effort, to be honest i am wondering about the sliding canopy too. Its lots of work for no real gain.

Anyway I foiled some sticks of soft 1/16 x 3/32 and stuck them liberally around the cockpit, then printed a phot of a panel and just losely positioned it to see whether it would suffice. What do you think? Remember all the area around will be matt black....

0541 (large).jpg

0543 (large).jpg

0545 (large).jpg

and if the cap fits

0546 (large).jpg

Cheers

Danny