Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Hi Danny.

I am enjoying following your build and I am learning a lot.

I have also been referring to your TN Spitty build blog, as I am currently building an 1/8 Spitfire.

Link here if you want a laugh!

I have been using Halfords primers but have been finding the coverage not very good and it's getting quite expensive. So far I've used 1 x 500ml can of orange filler primer, rubbed back and filled - then added panel line tape.

I have just sprayed 1 x 500ml can of grey high build over the panel lines (two coats) and some of the air frame. Then 1 x 300ml of grey primer.

It may be my bad technique, but it is still not fully covered with the grey and I don't think there is sufficient paint around the panel tape to leave much of a line when removed.

Can I ask what primer you use and where exactly you get it from - I think I read somewhere you found some on ebay. I do have spray equipment that I can use.

Many thanks.

Geoff...

Advert

Hi Fellow Chippaters

A memo to self is required (look and ye shall find) this is read usually about 30min after pressing the send button. I knew it was here somewhere.

Well welcome back from your hols Danny you were missed . This is a great thread.

Thanks Mike

Hi Chaps sorry I haven't replied sooner.

Geoff, the rattle cans are a very expensive way to go, all-be-it convenient. They also don't really qualify as a filler primer in my books, as they are still quite thin!

Search Ebay for celulose high build primer filler, such as P-88 This i have just found this on EBay, with free postage, you will need a gallon of celly thinners for gun cleaning and thinning the primer. That 1 liter will do many models I can assure you Needless to say following safety precautions when spraying celly, wear a mask etc....

Hi Mike, it sounds like you are sorted with a wood list? I am lucky enough to have a pile of wood in the cupboard that i just keep well stocked for as and when i need some. But I think one of the Chipateers produced a list, probably the ever efficient Nigel

I have been copying Martins technique for the wing walks, boy is it tedious to do, but the reults are pretty good. Not happy about the weight of the plastikard, but I couldn't see any way to imprint the pattern on the wing walks, I am sure one of you bright sparks will crack that nut

1196 (large).jpg

1197 (large).jpg

Next up was the retaing strips, Martin did his with a step in the lith, unfotunately my Chippy has a radiussed section so couldn't do the same......

wingwalk material.jpg

Cheers

Danny

So all you lith lovers, heres how I did it.

1199 (large).jpg

First of all lay .3mm lith over a legth of pinao wire taped to the bench.

1198 (large).jpg

1200 (large).jpg

Run your thumb along the ridge.

1201 (large).jpg

Run your nail along the one edge to make the bend sharp, you may need to use your thumb on the ridge too to keep it curved.

1202 (large).jpg

Using a wooden stick you can sharpen the fold on the other edge.

1203 (large).jpg

Use a scalpel or box knife (stanley) to score the centre of the fold, three times

1204 (large).jpg

Gently fold back and forth until the strip comes away.

1205 (large).jpg

1206 (large).jpg

Use a straight edge to score a line the exact width that you want the section to be, I made this 2mm, three passes with the knife to score the alloy, then fold as previously and the section will be cut much cleaner than any amount of scissors or knife work

1207 (large).jpg

A quick wipe on the back with acetone will remove any dye that might be present, this stops CA sticking so must be removed.

When looking at the original, I think an even thinner piece of piano wire might have been better, but there we go, at 3 meters not sure it will make much difference.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 18/08/2015 12:29:55

Hi Martin, sad aren't I I have been after a Dapping set for ages and one appeared on EBay last week so I grabbed it. Not cheap, and a bit dissapointed that there is no lid just a tray.

I do use CA for lith, but it can be messy and helps if the surface you are sticking to is slightly porous ie primer. The Zap kicker does sometimes get used for stubborn bits......

Cheers

Danny

Hi Martin, what do you mean? I copied you I have learned a lot doing this build too, even if it is to research the plan and three view better in the future! Seeing everybody take this stuff in their stride has been immensely sattisfying. I am a little sad that others builds have slowed down somewhat, but it is the flying season, and it was never a race with a timescale. Maybe some will carry on when the nights start drawing in......

I have sent in my entry for 2015 Nat's Control Line Scale so I am comitted to trying to have this Chipmunk flying in circles in roughly 10 days time smile o

Cheers

Danny

Hi Andrew.... the plan was to build a model to re-aquant myself with spinning round and around. I last flew control line in about 1975. Anyway due to time limitations the Brodak Oriental kit I won on Ebay is unbuilt....... I lowered my sights and thought i would throw together a Veron Viper just to see if I could still do the roundy roundy thing....... that hasn't been built either........ So I am hoping that the knack will come back to me......quite quickly........

I may dash over to the control line chappy that sells 2nd hand models from a table near the food arena at the Nats, and go for a quick fly in the practice circles...........I know it could all end in bits but at least I will have had a go

Cheers

Danny

I too last flew control line in the late 60s. I thought to get reacquainted. Built a model, soldered a tank together, started it, and let it go. After a bit, thought, getting a bit giddy, and a bit later, why didn't I solder a smaller tank, and a bit later I felt ill, please stop, please, and a bit later thought shall I crash it to remove the misery. Then it stopped, and I landed, and was sick. Best get going Danny.

Posted by Donald Fry on 20/08/2015 15:29:31:

I too last flew control line in the late 60s. I thought to get reacquainted. Built a model, soldered a tank together, started it, and let it go. After a bit, thought, getting a bit giddy, and a bit later, why didn't I solder a smaller tank, and a bit later I felt ill, please stop, please, and a bit later thought shall I crash it to remove the misery. Then it stopped, and I landed, and was sick. Best get going Danny.

Same thing happened to me. I did not comment on it as Danny is a (Much) younger man than me and I did not want to frighten him off. wink I thought about crashing but remembered 'figure of eights' but that only made me feel worse. I landed OK but that was my first and last attempt at returning to Controll Line Flying.

Good Luck Danny yes