Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Thanks Martin, yes the detailing is great fun the best bit.

Hi Andy, I am not unhappy with the Chippy, it looks great and I am well pleased with it, but the curse of scale is that you always think you could do better, and nothing is ever perfect. But I am pleased with it, there are a few good bits

Maybe you will make January club night, and you can see it up close?

Cheers

Danny

Advert

Thanks Nigel, Hi Andy well lets hope so, I can't keep lugging it backwards and forwards hoping to catch you in Only kidding, I don't mind. Toying with bringing all the moulding stuff and chemicals to January club night and do some live casting so you can see how easy it is

Anybody that lives near Walsall is welcome to come along, just drop me a PM if you are interested

I have made some more bits from the moulds, they aren't perfect by any stretch, and there are plenty of bubbles and inclusions but I think they still add more detail to finish the model off. This time I used a solid casting resin, adding some aluminum powder to the resin. This has made the castings.... er grey, but still requiring less work than the white or brown resin I used before. I also "tumbled" the hard resin while it was setting to create a hollow dummy cylinder.

1437 (large).jpg

1438 (large).jpg

Look like Airfix bits don't they

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 10/12/2015 13:45:11

Sorry John, missed your comment, thank you. The bits and bobs are fun but do take up lots of time. The list of jobs left to complete is getting very short now though

Fortunately the next project, a Piper Twin Apache, is nearly at the glassing stage then I can start all the glass work again!! This time I am going to make some cowls, doesn't that sound fun smile p

John you might be able to help a fellow modeller, a friendly chap called Andrew has acquired a Dennis Bryant Chippy nearly finished, but would like to know the control throws, as you have flown one can you pass on the information via this thread or the "Chip Shop" chat thread?

Cheers

Danny

Hi

Chippie control deflections. I measured the deflections this morning. This is the way the chippie is set up for me.

Elevator: 10mm up &down. Aileron: 12mm up & down. Rudder: 35 mm each way. Flaps: 30 degrees ( they are either up or down). These are low rates, I use these all the time & they give me a model which is quite docile & flies in a scale manner. High rates are set at 15mm for the elevator & 20mm for the ailerons but that is too much for me.

I have the expo set at 70%.

The model weighs 8lbs. There is no extra washout on the wings & the cg is exactly as on the plan.

It will fly round quite slowly & in a scale manner. This is the first model I have flown with flaps. I have not found any change of trim when the flaps are lowered & they certainly do steepen the landing.

Check the stall at a safe height. IT WILL STALL & IT WILL DROP A WING. It spins very well but the recovery is easy.

I was caught out once on a landing which I overflared slightly. The wingtip suddenly dropped from a height of !8 " & the resulting cartwheel broke the fuselage in two. DON'T DRAG IT IN TOO SLOWLY.

Hope this helps, it is,at least, a starting point.

Good luck with the maiden flight . Enjoy the model.

Cheers John

Hi John

Thanks for posting this info. Nice to hear its a good flier.

I'm even happier to hear you figures as the weight is the same as mine turned out when balanced at the plan CG.

I can achieve all your throw suggestions as well so looking forward to a maiden sometime in the new year.

Thanks again.

Martin

Did a little more today, managed to finally get a couple of good canopy handles out of the moulds, they have been tricky as bubbles form at the extremities, leaving voids which result in the tips being missing. Used a syringe in the end to fill the mould from the bottom up

1439 (large).jpg

1440 (large).jpg

Made a couple of plasticard emergency exit locks too, just simple shapes painted yellow. I will add some lettering later.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks for all your hard work trying to tutor us into the dark areas of SCALE. I have all the tail feathers and 2 wing panels done for WB588 and the question of control throws was going to be my next thread.

Wishing all you Chipmonkeys Happy Christmas and Hope Santa will understand.

Regards

Mike Matthews

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, blimey now you are asking, first off glad the build has been helpful, and secondly you have done well if that's the result of just two weeks, blimey!

The battery box is from 1/8 lite ply, with I think a 1/4" marine motor ply bulkhead.

Does this mod I made to the plans help?

0378a (large).jpg

0378b (large).jpg

0378 (large).jpg

The lines are not very clear on the plan view, sorry about that......

Say of it is still not clear

Cheers

Danny

Well I have made the brake caliper..... I know how sad is that...

Anyway thought I would make a mold from it. Whilst doing so I thought I would make another wheel mold and another aerial mold. This will mean I (apart from only a single caliper) can almost make a whole set of parts in one pouring session.

1443 (large).jpg

Merry Christmas everybody

Danny