Chip ' Bored'? Certainly Not!!

Terry Walters

Hi Readers! This will be where to find my build of a Cambridge UAS Chippie from the 60's in the silver and 'dayglo' colour scheme. Here it is in a black and white pic. This one was 'demobbed' and became D-ELLY and is privately owned being hangared in Hamburg- Fuhlsbuttel. It may still be out there!

It was one of the CUAS aeroplanes at the time I was being flown from Cambridge. It was still in RAF use in 1973 as there is reference on another site to an ex-cadet being flown in it from RAF Valley that year.

1349453fa.jpg

Colours will look like this one below which is of the same era but this is not a CUAS aeroplane. I've included it so you know the kind of thing I will be aiming to do.

UAS Scheme

My interest in Chippies? Well I was born in Northampton into a working class family that never went on holiday (ever!). I became fascinated by aeroplanes - frequently biking out to the local aerodrome at Sywell to see what ever there was to see there. Finding a friend at school who shared the same interest we joined the local ATC, 5(f) Northampton Squadron.

I think it fair to say that event changed my life and my outlook on life. The ATC fed my hunger for anything that flew, taught me to drive (on RAF Landrovers and 1 and 3 tonners as a staff cadet at 644 Gliding School Spitalgate Grantham), got me to fly solo at 16 in the usual T31 Tandem Tutor (known more accurately as 'The Brick'!). I also learnt to shoot and compete at it. Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award included trekking in the Lake District. There was a lot more too but naturally that included air experience flying in Chippies from Marshalls Airport, Cambridge. I loved it and did well enough to be put onto the 'White Card' scheme which identified those cadets who had shown exceptional potential as a pilot. That meant that if you could get yourself to Cambridge any week-end you were guaranteed a flight or two. That 'potential' did not, however, translate into being a good RC pilot!!

So a Chippie from Cambridge it will be as homage to that era when H+S didn't apply. When youngsters were encouraged to hitch-hike and take pride in themselves, their country and its armed forces!

So thank you the ATC and the RAF for being a considerable guiding force in my life.

By the way, they gave me my first holidays! I went on annual camps - holidays at last!! Shouted at by the SWO men, Drilled about here and there but flew on many different RAF aeroplanes and loved it all.

Last flew in a Chippie about 15 years ago when doing my full size tail wheel conversion. I was being instructed on an Auster but on this particular day it was at the back of the hangar with four other aeroplanes in front of it. That was too much to contemplate even for my instructor (have you ever tried moving an Auster? Let alone another four aeroplanes first!!!) so he said 'sorry' and would I like a go in his friend's Chippe? Would I? Took me less than a nano-second to say yes! It was really good to fly in it after my diet of Cessna 150s. Piper Cherokee, Auster etc. Controls beautifully harmonised and light too - naturally 20 minutes of aeros were included in my tail wheel conversion!!!

Anyway a bit more about me;

Leaving school I worked in Triumph Garage Stores briefly before going to a couple of insurance companies until mid twenties. Got fed up with insurance so changed careers ad went into Northamptonshire Police, being a beat bobby, detective constable, trainer, shift patrol sergeant, detective sergeant, patrol inspector - retiring in that rank after 30 yrs service and now live in the SW of France and member of the local RC club - Cahors Lalbenque.

Building: I have built a few reasonable RC aeroplanes and broken most of them. I like them to look 'right' and I am currently building a Dennis Bryant Turbulent which is true scale but not many rivets!! The build is here. I have declared it must be finished by 1st Oct - we will see............. Other stuff - have a look at the photos in my albums. I want to do the Dennis Bryant Magister too and have the plan for that.

My build will be intended to stretch my scale skills further - how far we shall find out.

The Chippie was already a 'must do' on my build list and so I have the plan, cut parts and cowl. It will probably be an IC engine but I haven't ruled out a 'leccy' one especially as Danny Fenton will be dabblilng with the A123 cells - that might be interesting - hmmmm.

Roll on 1st Oct!

Terry

Advert

Got you bookmarked Terry. Good to see you going for the CUAS example, not finding my ATC logbook was one of the reasons I decided not to go ahead with mine, another was not receiving an email reply from CUAS! Where does the Magister come in the grand scheme of planes to build, I was going to build one before I attempted the Chippie! When's the next installment on the Turbi?

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for bookmarking me I'll know at least one person is watching!

The Magister would probably have come first as it's generally reckoned to be an easier build with lots less rivets too! The problem is now that I have a DB SportnScale Auster, a 1/5th Sig Cub and a BT Hurricane to do as well. That's without counting my Flair Puppeteer, and various other kits and rebuilds lurking about. I've also got a Seagull Pilatus B4 Glider to put together and a 1/4 scale Slingsby T21 scale build - so any advice welcome!

I've got you on my bookmarks too.smiley

Terry

• 2 months later...

Well all you Chippers, That my Summer flying season over - off tomorrow for a six week trip in the camper. Turbulent not finished, Oodalally not finished. All my targets missed! blush

Back about 27th Sept (I hope!!) just time to clear the building boards and find room to move around in the workshop.

Hope to keep in touch with the forum from time to time.

My oleos didn't arrive yesterday and today was a BH here in France and we will be away before the post tomorrow to join the stampede for the coast so they legs may rest in the post box for a few weeks! sad.

Don't start without me!

Terry

Posted by Terry Walters on 15/08/2014 19:28:35:

All my targets missed! blush

My oleos didn't arrive yesterday and today was a BH here in France and we will be away before the post tomorrow to join the stampede for the coast so they legs may rest in the post box for a few weeks! sad.

Makes a change from the runway!!!teeth 2

You have a great time, Terry - I'll look after your postbox.....devil

Pete

• 1 month later...

Mr Terry Walters is pleased to announce to his readers that he is safely back at his french residence after 42 nights in the royal camper!

Today Mr Walters has been overseeing the emptying the camper of water, copies of RCME Mags, foodstuffs, videos (no - not that sort!), intoxicating liquor (sadly Mr Walters couldn't manage it all), a gas cylinder and a large quantity of 'warmer' and 'just in case clothing and footwear' that didn't see the light of day in the last 6 weeks because it was so hot and had the decency to only rain on two evening and one morning (just as he got of the bus in Seville!)

This evening SWMBO will be watching 'Strictly' while Mr Walters will be indulging himself with the last two unread editions of RCME Magazine after his long awaited dinner of sausage and mash with onion gravy.

Tomorrow, after taking brunch at about 10.00 UK time, Mr Walters will be free to organise his workshop. He will put temporarily put side, with much regret, the unfinished DB Turbulent and the Oodalally and attend to them 'as time permits'.

Mr Walters also wishes to advise his readers that the HK sprung oleo legs with trailing link were not returned to HK during his absence as he had feared but were discovered at the local Bureau de Poste this morning when he visited to collect his accumulated post. (However, these items were not the most surprising find amongst the postal items. A cheque for €20 from the French Tax Authorities was discovered. Mr Walters will be putting this unbelievably rare item on Ebay.fr later with an opening bid of around €250k.)

In further preparation for 'The Off' Mr Walters has put a new battery into the remote control for his Ipod Docker and ordered 2 CD boxed sets of music , namely, Beethoven - Complete Symphony Collection (Karajan of course) and Handel Organ Concertos.

Mr Walters thanks his readers for their continued interest and wishes that his encouragement is made known to those who are also participating in this collective inspirational journey.

Circular issued at 18.45 GMT+2hrs

Maison de Walters

Lot

France

Edited By Terry Walters on 27/09/2014 18:17:44

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 27/09/2014 18:49:57:

Grass cut? Logs split and stacked? Then carry on, Terry! thumbs up

Pete

You got me there Pete - yes this winter's logs are cut and split but not stacked and the grass is not yet cut - next year's logs will be on their way in the next couple of weeks so this year's will need to be stacked by then!

Danny : Yes I am a Workshop Withdrawal Sufferer - there I've admitted it - now I feel on the way to recovery!

Ken: That's praise indeed from the NE Master of Wit - thanks Ken

Terry

Sunday has dawned nice and sunny - a perfect flying day but too busy earning points!!

Lots of fresh scalpels sorted Danny - CA a bit low on stocks but then I use it sparingly as it does affect me! Balsa is too hand and lots of it (usually found to be the wrong sort on the day!) Pins - in abundance - some to be given a quick twist in the wet n dry. Building board - adequate when scraped but might treat myself to new bit of plaster board tomorrow for €8 can't go wrong.

Martin - I've still got my ATC Commandant's Cup Silver Spoon - came 4th in the ATC Cadet Nationals 1966. Our Squadron also represented the wing at the Bisley cadet 100 each year ( we had the only armoury!). The cadet forces were a great thing for our generation.

NIgel/John - cheers - yep raring to go - you too?

Terry

Posted by Nigel Day on 28/09/2014 12:05:11:

Just got to finish my Barnstormer Terry (blush) and then clear the decks.

I might just separate out the balsa bits in my woodpack whilst I'm watching the golf tho'. smiley

You put me to shame Nigel blush- I will try to get the Oodallaly finished alonside the Chippie as it is ready for covering/painting.

Just be careful if you do push the bits while you're watching the golf. One good shot and you'll be on your feet shouting and the bits will be all on the floor......laugh!

Edited By Terry Walters on 28/09/2014 12:16:54