Colin Leighfield's Chipmunk build.

Colin Leighfield

Advert

Working this week, so less shed time. Managed to cover top of wings tonight, here with silk wet to pre-shrink it. I need to set this up on the board next, jigged to hold in the three degrees of wash-out while I apply dope to complete the shrinking and sealing process. Hopefully tomorrow night I can get one half done.image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpegI've had some time at home today, so a bit more done. Four coats of thinned dope on the top of the wing and the silk has tightened up nicely. The wing feels very rigid and resilient, I don't expect any structural failures there. I won't do anymore with it now until I've completed the fuselage and get to the finishing stages. There's a fair bit of sorting out to do at the front end to fit the engine, tank etc. The OS62FV is about 6mm narrower than the Merco on which the pre-cut formers are based. It isn't enough difference to fit in a ply plate onto the bearers and I don't want to mess about, so I've simply re-cut the formers to the new spacing. It forces the fuel tank slightly lower, but the four stroke carburettor is lower anyway, so it looks fine. I will do some beefing up around the engine bearers, not happy with it yet. The silencer with the new engine is quite compact, but it will still stick out if I use it, so I'm going to have a go at making an in-cowl silencer similar to the one on the plan and get some bits and pieces to connect it up, it looks to have a decent volume, so I should be able to keep the noise down. Also a large volume silencer blends the exhaust note better and makes it sound more realistic.image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpegThank you chaps, but there's nothing very clever about it. I've fuel-proofed inside the front end with Aerokote and fixed the tank in position. I've filled in the section in front of the wing with blue foam instead of balsa. Before gluing it in place I brushed some Aerokote onto the inside of the foam as well. After I've sanded it smooth I'll move onto the wing root fairings tomorrow. image.jpeg

Here it is with the first stage of fitting the wing root fairings. Instead of blue foam, I've gone back to my favourite for this purpose, 1/64" ply, with some filler at the front end. However, as I've just reportedimage.jpeg on the "chip-shop" thread, the plan detail on the trailing edge of the fairing is completely the wrong shape, G5 is fit only for the bin. I'm trying to work it out now.

Hi Colin,

A bit of discussion on fairing shape last January (2015) ..... I think at the end of the day general agreement was that it should be concave...not convex...many photo's tend to lead to that...the 3 view drawing 3063 which a few of us were working to shows it concave, but that doeas not seem to be correct. Seems wierd 'cos almost all root fairings curve into the wing concave..but the Chippy....

Fats

Edited By Fatscoleymo on 12/03/2016 18:17:13

Hi Colin, your cracking on.

For the fairings, I made mine almost straight, only very slightly convex when looking straight down from the top. Depending on the angle you look at them, they can apear concave or convex. Other have done it differently but I'm happy with mine.

Looking good.

Nev.

Edited By Nev on 12/03/2016 18:39:16