Colin Leighfield's Chipmunk build.

Colin Leighfield

Advert

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

img_1581.jpgimg_1579.jpgimg_1578.jpgimg_1577.jpgimg_1570.jpgimg_1569.jpgimg_1568.jpgimg_1567.jpgimg_1566.jpgRight, try again. I've re-made the convex wing root trailing edge formers G5 and I'm trying to sort out the details now. I will get in the shed early tomorrow with the objective of completing the wing root fairings, which I have found tricky.

Having a good look at it, the demoralising aspects include the distortion of the wing shrouds because using silk and dope has warped them. They will need cutting off and re-making. I've got some hangar rash to fix as well. I'm not happy with my workmanship in a number of areas and have thought hard about scrapping it, however there's an awful lot of time gone into it and I will see if it's worth saving. I'm happy with the detail underneath the wing centre section and the blue foam detail in the tail cone has worked ok, so some of it is good.img_1565.jpg

It is clear that the reason why I've made a dog's breakfast of the trailing edge part of the wing root fairings is that I hadn't got G2 accurately seated. It was slightly proud and skewed. I knew that and had thought that I could just compensate for it when I glued the other bits in place. Big mistake, so this morning I have cut the lot off, removed and correctly re-positioned G2. It should follow the plan now. It looks as if the correct approach is to finish the fuselage before I go back to the wing. That's what I will do.

More progress, no need to scrap this after all. With a bit of trial and error and G2 correctly positioned, the root fairings are starting to look something like. Careful use of 1/64" birch ply, using paper templates for shape. I've been in a cold funk over this project but that's gone now, it's starting to look possible after all. Looks like I'm the lame duck on this build! I've got some photos but for some reason I can't get the albums to scroll through. I'll try later.

img_1612.jpgimg_1614.jpgimg_1617.jpgThank you Chris, still plenty to do but it's straightforward now. Couldn't resist sticking it together as a morale booster. You can see here how the aileron and flap shrouds have warped, they will be cut off and replaced. Also I have knocked a hole in the covering of one of the ailerons.I'm not going to add rivets, rib-tapes or do a huge amount of cockpit detail. I just want it to be a reasonable looking scale flyer. However,if it is a success I can improve it later.img_1618.jpg

Hi Colin, it's great to see you back on the job with your Chippie and I think that you'll find her a delight to fly. If you need a bit of bed-time reading to help keep up the enthusiasm, "Follow me Through: The Ups and Downs of an RAF Flying Instructor" by Mike Brooke is a really enjoyable read with loads of anecdotes and Chippie info. I have it on my Amazon Kindle and enjoyed it enough to buy his other books on Kindle too.

Gordon

Hi Gordon, I haven't read that one, I'll have a look.

img_1622.jpgBecause of working all day Friday and other commitments I've had limited time. However I have been preparing the fuselage for covering with glass cloth and actually managed to get in a couple of hours this afternoon. I'm a very messy worker when it comes to doing jobs like this!

img_1623.jpgThanks John. I've finished glassing the fuselage with 24gm glass cloth. It works wonderfully with Ezekote on Depron and produces a durable result. Next will be another two or three coats of Ezekote and rubbing down ready for paint. I'm starting to put together the instrument panels using the laser cut parts supplied by Dylan.img_1624.jpg