Colin Leighfield's Chipmunk build.

Colin Leighfield

Advert

img_1627.jpgLooking now at the front end. If I use the standard exhaust it will be outside the cowl and img_1626.jpglook a mess. The answer looks to be a turbo-header made in the USA that turns 90 degrees and keeps the muffler in very tight. They are on a thread here somewhere and get good reports. Just Engines is a stockist, although I don't see the 10x75A that I need for the OS62FV in their web-site. I've sent them an email. If I use one of those I will need a decent means of getting the exhaust out of the cowl in a reasonably scale fashion. I've got some 20g brass sheet and tube plus some silver soldering rods and flux, so I might be doing something bespoke.

img_1629.jpgHi Tony. Very interesting, I'll find out more.

A couple more shots here. After several coats of Ezekote I thought I'd try a flash spray of aluminium. As more or less expected with Depron, it isn't brilliant. After some detail rubbing img_1630.jpgdown, I'll respray with grey primer and do it properly. In the meantime I'll start to sort the wing out.

img_1643.jpgimg_1646.jpgimg_1649.jpgimg_1650.jpgWhile I'm waiting to sort out the exhaust detail I've gone back to the wing. Although I proved that you can dope a covering onto Depron if you protect it first with Ezekote etc, making the shrouds from Depron was stupid because when the doped silk shrunk it buckled the Depron and pulled it away. These photos show the problem. I cut the shrouds off and carefully stuck the remaining Depron back down. To tidy up the mess along the underside trailing edge, I decided to glue a 6mm wide strip of 1/64" ply along it. Next I made new aileron shrouds again using 1/64" ply, backed with a 3mm balsa strip. Looking promising, flap shrouds next. I've damaged the silk in places and need to repair it. I'm going to dope tissue on top of it, I'll try a test area first.img_1651.jpg

Hi Colin

Mick Reeves Models sells stainless steel bendy pipe in various diameters that might help with your exhaust problem. He also sells low melting point silver solder and flux for joining it to other things. You'll find these on the accessories page along with a couple of add-on dumpy silencers. For those using a Laser engine for their Chippy, Mick has the pipe equipped with ends to fit the Laser exhaust port, which Laser have now stopped selling.

On a completely different tack, how about the Chippy as a cold war spy plane? Re-reading the book I mentioned earlier I decided to google a reference within it to a couple of operations called "Schooner" and "Nylon" and came up with this intriguing account:

https://www.16va.be/vols_brixmis_part1_eng2.html

Mention is made of evading a couple of marauding Hind gunships by knife-edging the Chippy between them ... eeek!

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, I'd forgotten about the useful stuff that Mick offers, the answer might be there. I'll have a look. I did email Just Engines on Thursday about the Turbo Headers that they list, very disappointed to have not received a reply when I had expressed a wish to place an order!

I've read about the use of Chipmunks for spying in the Cold War, an interesting option as a finishing choice! However, the plan so far is to reproduce WP848, the plane I flew in as an ATC cadet from RAF Waterbridge in 1961. We'll get there!

Just noticed that my previous post said RAF Waterbridge, don't know how that happened, of course it's Waterbeach.

Time has been a bit limited in the last few days, but I've finished sorting out the aileron and flap shrouds using 1/64" ply and they're done. I started to experiment with tissue on top of the silk on the wing but ran out of dope, so I must buy some more. I've ordered a Turbo Header exhaust from Just Engines, hoping that it will arrive in the morning because later in the day we're going on holiday for two weeks, so things will stand still until we get back.

This is coming along well now, I've become optimistic about it and it looks promising.

Maybe a few quick words of wise advise needed here, Colin.

If the well earned port or sangria doesn't help you to get a proper sleep during your holidays, a fully working trick is to start counting the rivets of the WP848 fuselage... wink

Enjoy your time over there. yes

Cheers

Chris

Thank you Chris. As a drag reducing measure I have decided that my Chipmunk will be flush riveted, so I don't have that option. Also as the itinerary includes Bruges, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallin, St. Petersburg and Berlin Rostock, I won't have a clue where I am most of the time and whichever form of alcohol I consume between Leffe Brun and neat Vodka will only add to the confusion. What's more, current political trends could see WW3 kicking off as I arrive in Russia and I will be thrown into the Gulag. If it can possibly happen, it will happen to me. Story of my life.

If I am so incarcerated I bequeath my Chipmunk to you. Undoubtedly you will do a far neater job of it than I will, so my disappearance could be doing the world a favour. Just send me a hot water bottle and a pair of woolly socks.

... well, as a naive novice, I thought "flush rivets" could be counted as well. blush

... and of course I was presuming you were heading to sunny Spain. No danger then with only well known 'spirits', no need for hot water (unless at teatime after the siesta), no "woolly socks" either....

Anyhow, if you're heading to Bruges, forget about the Leffe Brune and try to obtain a genuine 'West Vleteren' abbey beer. I really mean this.

You'll be happily surprised and it will help you forget all the other stuff you could unfortunately absorb during the remaining part of your trip.

If not, I'll do my utmost to take care of your Chippie baby. wink

Enjoy

Cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

img_2078.jpgAfter two weeks away I can get back onto the Chipmunk. Following a tip-off from Tony Richardson, I have bought a Zepsus magnetic switch, 15amp capacity. With this I can switch the radio off externally by swiping with a magnet, so no unsightly external switch is necessary.

Also, the Turbo Header makes it possible to fully enclose the silencer. Excellent. I can fit a flexible extension to take it outside of the cowl scale fashion. However, as mentioned before I'm going to have a go at silver soldering a secondary expansion chamber from 20g brass, with a scale outlet pipe. My reasoning is that I'm looking for a reasonably realistic exhaust note. Although a fan of electric in small to medium size models, I'm not so keen on the larger sizes. Also, they sound very wimpy and weedy and carting sound systems around doesn't appeal to me.

The firing frequency of a model four stroke single turning over at about 8000/9000 rpm is actually about the same as a full size four cylinder four stroke turning over at 2,000/2,250 rpm, about right for the Gypsy Major. The lack of scale effect is a function of noise volume and tone. Increasing silencer volume blends and deepens the exhaust note, so I'm going to try and do that. Wish me luck. img_2079.jpg