Colin Leighfield's Chipmunk build.

Colin Leighfield

Advert

image.jpgimage.jpgI've been frustrated by only getting about three hours in the shed during the last two weeks, but got a couple more in this afternoon. I've taken the starboard wing as far as I intend until I've got the port one reasonably well advanced. I turned the plan over and rubbed some meths into it and it went immediately transparent. I highlighted some of the lines with a pencil and got going. The ribs are glued down onto the bottom spar, secured in the toast rack to get the wash-out right again. I've put the top spar in and have to leave it there for now, we've got to go out shortly. Hope to get a bit more done tomorrow.image.jpg

Thanks John,Tony,Terry. Danny, you're right. That's why I got the pencil and ruler out and then built on it before it went opaque. The basics are done, it's the easiest way I think. Having said that, I just went out and had a look 7 hours later and it's still transparent. Job's done, it must be the easiest way to solve the problem.

Thanks Graeme, but superb it's not! I hope to get a bit of time in tonight to sort out the wing.

Seafang is finished. I have made a take-off bogie in the hope of minimising first flight risks with under-arm launching! I've never tried one before. I'm not rushing because I'm looking for a convenient opportunity weather-wise and with some experienced pals to get it right. As soon as I've done it I'll post it up, whatever the outcome!

The problems in getting things done remain ones of time, although officially semi-retired I'm currently flat out on two business projects that that have to be finished in the next few months. Also I confess to having taken a two week holiday in Spain, getting home two weeks ago! Taking on the Chipmunk was probably daft in the circumstances with the 317 coming along as well, but I enjoy the forum interaction and it struck me it's the kind of flying machine I probably should be getting some time in with at my time of life!

Good luck with yours, I think you'll get there before me. I don't particularly like the centre-section design though, I must confess. I think it's quite a fiddle.

Spent a bit more time on the wing tonight, nothing worth a photo but getting my head around it. Next step should move me on. It was interesting to see that my plan has stayed reasonably transparent after dosing it with meths. on Saturday. Perhaps my plan is a different paper to Danny's, which didn't stay transparent? I've checked to see if there has been any shrinkage or distortion and there's nothing, it's still bang on. I preferred doing this to taping it onto a window and messing about. Dead easy.image.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 24/11/2014 22:26:29

Danny, I only tried meths because it was within arm's length of my right hand! I'm pretty sure that previously I've heard that you should use white spirit or paraffin. I fully expected that it would evaporate quickly and revert to opaque. It did evaporate quickly but stayed semi-transparent. Totally unexpected, but worth knowing I think.

By the way, what's a Chipmunk?

I have tried this before with a plan and it faded away very quickly, about a day but thinking about it I probably used white spirit. It looks like the ink has bled through the paper on yours Colin, that could be the difference with the meths. 

Edited By Nev on 25/11/2014 21:14:38