Charging multiple Rx Batteries.

I frequently have to charge up to eight RX batteries for a days flying. Most of my models have a separate pack for the undercarriage and many of them run at 6v. I'm looking for something similar to the Delta 6 but they do not seam to be available any more. Has anybody got any ideas my normal wall chargers are starting to show their age.

Thanks,

Glenn

Advert

Hi Glenn,

This is what I use and thoroughly recommend.

3xRX outputs will delta peak charge 4-7 cells at 600mA

1xTx will delta peak charge 4-8 cells at 600mA.

With the right adapter, it will charge 4 receivers at once. Very simple to use - just plug in and wait for the red light to turn green when it's done.

**LINK**

Edited By Gary Manuel on 17/06/2014 10:00:12

Posted by Masher on 17/06/2014 11:42:26:

I also use one of these BUT a word of caution here in my previous thread

One thing I have found is that sometimes if you plug a partially charged battery (to give it a top-up) in immediately after you have unplugged a fully changed one, it only charges the new one for a few seconds. This is probably to do with the charger tracking the peak voltage and seeing the change of batteries as just a small fluctuation of the same battery.

I always switch the charger of at the wall for a couple of seconds to reset the charger after / when I plug a battery in. Never had a problem since.

"I always switch the charger of at the wall for a couple of seconds to reset the charger after / when I plug a battery in. Never had a problem since."

Totally agree Gary, this is what I have done since. It's a common problem but unfortunately the destructions never mention it!

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm very nervous about charging Rx batteries. I'm never really convinced that they are fully charged. With Lipo's it's easy as you can get various battery 'checkers' that tell you the % of charge remaining etc etc.

I've just bought a Fusion NX 83 charger thinking,from reading the info on it,that this would put my 'fears' to rest.

Sadly, this is not the case. I've just connected it to one of my 6v Nimh batteries and although the charging light was showing Red at first,the light went out after about 45secs and then showed no light at all!!

So, my question is - what's happening there? It certainly hasn't helped to restore my confidence in charging Rx batteries. What voltage is a fully charged 6v Rx battery and is that voltage 'proof' of a full charge?

The Rx battery is a 6v 1200mAh NiMh

John.

Well JB, NiMh are typically 1.2V per cell which gives 7.2V

Have you tried switching your charger on and off as suggested above?

To "prove" the cells are charged requires checking the voltage when the battery is under load.

With my bad experiences regarding Rx batteries, I'm going the belt & braces plus approach:

• Take care with the delta peak charger - cycle mains each time and check red charging light doesn't go off after a minute or so
  • For every model I now incorporate a battery level monitor, they are quite accurate, easy to see outside and cheap example here and they are measuring under load when Rx is powered up
  • Perhaps most importantly, I have just purchased a Taranis! Not just for this reason, but Rx voltage (and RSSI) is available "for free" so you can set an alarm to go off when, say, your Rx battery falls to 7V

Can never be 100% safe, but hopefully these measures will reduce risks to minimum

Martin

Edited By Masher on 17/06/2014 14:34:42

I did a warning thread quite some time ago which got largely ignored. I got caught out when trying to charge dual Rx. packs via two Futaba switches, using separate chargers. Despite having just flown they each cut out at about 20mAh. A feedback loop somehow maybe? I now always disconnect at least one pack including CDI packs when charging.