Chapter One - RCM&E's build-a-plane series

Nigel Hawes

I think the draughtsman in Greece must be pretty used to that song as for 15 years he's been changing my CAD (Child Ability Drawing) to his version of CAD (Computer Aided Design) smiley

Oddly enough, when I showed the models to Graham Ashby at Greenacres, he said that when flying it in front of a large crowd, I should do as many loops as possible!

I'm not sure why... wink

co4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nigel... this is just what I've been waiting for! Thanks for a great plan/aircraft -- and for creating two versions.

I have the full series of articles and will start building the plane towards the end of this year when my work pressure declines. I'm sure I'll have a number of queries (as this is my first build), but will post them on this forum. One question that springs to mind immediately is when are you hoping to submit the mini-plan for the aileron wing. As a beginner I realise that I won't be need a wing with ailerons, but it would be go to know when the plan will be published -- so that I don't miss it.

All the best

Simon (complete newbie in all things R/C)

To answer some of your questions, I'm working on the aileron wing now; it will have the same chord as the standard wing, a semi-symmetrical wing section and 1" strip ailerons in addition to the chord driven by a pair of 9-gram servos. But the way it locates with the fuselage is very specific so the incidence is correct. There is also only 1/2 an inch dihedral under each tip.

I hope to create a parts list as soon as the CNC pack is available and we know exactly what goes in to each model!

Nige.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nigel, am new to the hobby and keen to build from plans. The Chapter One looks great for a start and can't wait to get building !

Can you advise when the CNC parts and the complementary wood pack (as listed in your November build article will be available?

I enquired the other day but not available yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted by Nigel Hawes on 19/10/2014 16:00:19:

To answer some of your questions, I'm working on the aileron wing now; it will have the same chord as the standard wing, a semi-symmetrical wing section and 1" strip ailerons in addition to the chord driven by a pair of 9-gram servos. But the way it locates with the fuselage is very specific so the incidence is correct. There is also only 1/2 an inch dihedral under each tip.

I hope to create a parts list as soon as the CNC pack is available and we know exactly what goes in to each model!

Nige.

Hi Nigel

It's great to hear that you are working on the aileron wing for the Chapter One, but do you have any idea when the plans will be published in RCM&E? I hope that I haven't already missed them!

All the best

Simon

Hi Vaughan

Thanks for responding. I have the plans for the plane, which appeared in the Nov issue, but these cover the standard wing. I'm looking for the plan for the aileron wing version for the Chapter One. It appears form the earlier post by Nigel that he was designing the wing with ailerons for advanced training. I'd like to know when these will be published in the magazine.

All the best

Simon

Bizarrely enough, I finally managed to get the flying shots of Chapter One today with the aileron wing upgrade, first major photoshoot I've managed this year!

The aileron wing plan is on its way to the RCME draughtsman and should appear as a feature in a summer issue.

It transforms the model into quite a capable aerobat in the right hands (not mine, I hasten to add!) but retains the docile characteristics of the original design, so I'm very pleased with it. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I get a chance to shrink them to the required size for this site.

Nige.

Posted by Nigel Hawes on 19/03/2015 10:17:53:

I think THIS shot shows it the best, you can see the semi-symmetrical wing section, reduced dihedral and simple strip ailerons; otherwise the wing design is almost identical to the original.

Chapter One Aileron Wing

WOW! This looks terrific!!! -- I'm looking forward to buying the plans for the wing this summer!

All the best

Simon

Posted by Nigel Hawes on 18/03/2015 22:24:22:

Bizarrely enough, I finally managed to get the flying shots of Chapter One today with the aileron wing upgrade, first major photoshoot I've managed this year!

The aileron wing plan is on its way to the RCME draughtsman and should appear as a feature in a summer issue.

It transforms the model into quite a capable aerobat in the right hands (not mine, I hasten to add!) but retains the docile characteristics of the original design, so I'm very pleased with it. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I get a chance to shrink them to the required size for this site.

Nige.

....most excellent news! Thanks

All the best

Simon

====>