Jezebel

Thanks guys.

It was a challenge but we were up for it. I have a new perspective of model planes now and won't shy away from a build in the future. Biggest difference in me now is I see a refurbed model in every accident. When normally a model would be heading for the black sack and bin, I'll now be taking back to the garage and try a rebuild.

Thanks for posting your build pics etc as they were invaluable to us as rookie builders.

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

We finally had some decent weather down here and managed to get both the Jezebels out to the club for their maidens. I was expecting these to be a bit of a handfull but they fly amazing. With the evo 10cc up from mine (the green one) took off in a mater of metres and took to the sky with all the grace of a spitfire. Handling was fantastic with only minimal trim required.

Aarons had similar success however he had issues with tip stalling. We narrowed it down to the change in his wing tip as he had a very pointy and flat underside to the tips which created near zero washout. Flew great when power was applied and he was going hard out but when testing the stall and on final approach had a nasty tendency to drop a wing. Meant she was a handfull on landing. He's since added some tabs to the trailing edge of the tips to resolve this and they worked really well.

Considering the weight difference to the 2 planes (2.9kg and 4kg) they both floated really well and the glide was predictable and long. Mine came in significantly heavier due to small changes in construction (I fully sheeted my wing which wasn't needed, 2 batteries as running gas motor and I had the cheeks to name a few).

I didn't manage to get any video as every time I flew my video man was nowhere to be scene but have some stills just after the maiden at the field. Hopefully I'dd get some video on the next run.

Overall we are really pleased with these models and the upscale to 60" has been a real success. Thanks for sharing this plan and setting us on the path to real plane building.

img_2314.jpg

img_2316.jpg

img_2318.jpg

Hi CRaig.

That is really good news, glad that you liked them so much. I found mine floated in beautifully too.

Interesting that those long pointed tips caused such a change in the normally very forgiving handling. Is the owner going to chop the tips back to the original design?

Quite possibly the original designer of Jezebel was influenced by the Spitfire, it was just after the war. Later Jezebel was changed to a tapered wing which lost all the character.