MFs Chipmunk

Martin Fane

Advert

Had a practice run with the roundels on the lower wing surface. I think I got lucky with a relatively smooth silver surface to work with, just a little bleed through but overall very happy with the results. Thanks Danny for the masks.

imag0562.jpg

And fitted the oleo fairings (the right way round smiley)

imag0566.jpg

Dare I say it nearly half way finished wink

imag0565.jpg

A little bout of detailitis struck today, had a go at mock brake units for the landing gears

imag0569.jpg

The disc is 1/64 ply covered in aluminium foil, painted a dirty metal, I tried to make it look a little scored from wear. The caliper is styrene tube and filler and the hose a bit of thin wire insulation.

Here it is insitu, having a little difficulty getting to "hose" to sit how I want it to sad

imag0568.jpg

They look fantastic Martin, I will copy that if you don't mind. What have you used for the silver clips, lith or more foil?

Any thoughts on the wheels themselves??

I am still bogged down with car stuff, The Mondy has been written off, so I am frantically searching a replacement R1VUT before the hire car is withdrawn on Tuesday

Cheers

Danny

• 1 month later...

Managed a little more on the Chipmunk, radio installed and servos / control throws all set.

A little hangar rash encountered - my fault, removed the motor before securing the airframe - gravity took over and here's the result

imag0590.jpg

Decided a scab patch repair was in order as I didn't fancy blending in fresh daglo orange, sorry my riveting won't get me a job with the BBMF sad

imag0593.jpg

imag0597.jpg

Onto weighing and balancing - although the fuselage and wings seemed fairly light weight on their own, when assembled and everything fitted for flight (including 1.5lb LiPo) the all up weight is .............................................................. bang on 8lbs (3600g)

Somewhat heavier than expected - has anyone else got a final weight yet (not you Danny - I already see yours is featherweight)wink

Does this look balanced ??

imag0596.jpg

There is about 1.5 oz weight added on the nose.

Seem to recall balancing for a low winger should be inverted but cant remember why - have I got this correct ?

Edited By Martin Fane on 06/11/2015 16:41:00

Thanks Martyn - glad I've got an experienced pilot buddy to maiden it for me although I think that will be in the spring.

Danny, yep I set the CG at 90mm from the LE - thats what I measured on the plan - would you agree ?

The pack is 5s 4500mAH

Motor Foxy C4120 750Kv

65A ESC

12x6 prop

Does that set up look OK to you ??

cheers

Martin

Hi Martin

You may want to consider cutting angles at the rear of your wheel fairings. I already had a slight angle on my Airsail

Chippy but had to make it 45 degrees as the legs had flexed enough to bite into the wing.

It's surprising the force of an eight pound model meeting terra firma, even with sprung oleos.

Great job of the build.

Mark

• 10 months later...

Well finally the day came for the maiden.

Calm day at OW today and a willing test pilot, lots of nerves but she flew pretty well

Sorry this is the only picture I managed to capture in the air on my phone. a club mate videoed the big event so hopefully I can post that soon.

it flies.jpg

Needed a little aileron trim and it was noticeable that the ailerons do not centre at the same point when operated. This is something I feared would happen as I was seeing the same during servo setup. Not too sure why as there is no play in the pushrods / bellcranks.

I am seriously thinking of opening up the wings to install an aileron servo each side. Didn't try the flaps as the maiden was called short with prop vibration.

Her she is parked after the flight

imag0743.jpg

Thanks to Danny for his brilliant guidance and advice, this build would not have been possible without him.

Now whats next................................

Danny

Gear was fine, nice light landings helped.

Elevator was fine too, I think my throws were around 12mm.

Power was fine too, she flew around on half throttle mostly.

Stall was a non event.

I did have a scary moment on the second flight, lots of vibration sounding like an out of balance prop which turned out to be the prop drive fasteners loosening of at the motor. i took this as a sign to end the days flying sad

Biggest problem is with the aileron centering. Its just not consistent when the ailerons return to neutral after deflection either way.....did you experience this ?

cheers

Martin