MFs Chipmunk

Martin Fane

Hi All

After reading Danny's RCME article I figured this build is just the one for me. Got back into modelling about 4 years ago and trying to broaden my horizons in regard to scale building.

I have a BT Bf109e on the building board although I've stalled with the fuselage well underway, this model is way beyond my flying ability so the break is probably for the best. I also have a MR RF4 well underway and hope to have this cleared off the board by Oct 1st. This is a really nice one to build.

The Chipmunk seems the ideal candidate to improve my scale building skills although apologies in advance for probably not being able to add much to the forum.

As a member at the Old Warden club I'm thinking of basing my Chippie on their RCAF example although I'm also considering the RAF AEF color scheme as I have fond memories of flights from RAF Woodvale in the late 70's as an air cadet.

Thanks in advance to all the other builders, I'm sure I'll be learning loads from you.

Martin

Can I join John in welcoming you Martin. I don't think you'll learn a lot off me though, I've been trying since 1956 and still can't get it right!

It's going to be a great project, there are so many individual Chipmunks to choose from, each with its' own history and sometimes with personal connections to the builder that it might become something of a unique experience.

Good luck, something that I'm certainly going to need!

After a couple of visits from the postie, I now have the plan, canopy, cowl, woodpack and hinge set. Roll on October.

Hope to go to Cosford tomorrow to pick up a few more bits and pieces, weather permitting !!!!

tmp_img_20140718_154556937992722.jpg

Edited By Martin Fane on 18/07/2014 18:54:57

A visit to Cosford today saw some wheels, wood and other bits and pieces added to the preparations for the build. Cought sight of a large chipmunk flying and this one whilst sheltering from a long downpour. A bit bigger than our project but very nice, sorry didn't catch the builder.

tmp_big chippie-1064840677.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi

So after watching progress on the other builds I have made a start over the weekend with the fin first, followed Dannys method and it seems to have worked out OK. I love the neat shroud cut.

I have modified the rudder shape and am making a start on the new ribs.

The tailplane was also build using Dannys method and although it looked OK I can now see that after the fist skin was fitted and dried the leading edge is bowed slightly from root to tip on both sides. I'm hoping that fitting the second skin sheet and clamping up with straight edges along the leading edge will resolve the problem. Otherwise it will be a second tailplane build for me too !!!!!! Fingers crossed.

fin and rudder.jpg

first tailplane.jpg

tailplane clamped.jpg

Looks great Martin well done, I am waiting for somebody to do the elevators as Traplet have included the ribs, but there is no reference on the drawing for them crook They sort of fit if you use the larger one as the inboard rib, however its not 1/4 as indicated on the plan. If however you move all the ribs out one then you end up with them all a bit too long...... GRRRRRR!!

Anybody done the elevators yet?

Cheers

Danny

Hi Martin,

I've missed this build so far so I just 'joined'!

Well done so far - how's the tailplane - any news?

Danny - I shall be starting the elevators soon but I'm trying to work out how to be they will fit nicely with the shroud.

A Dennis Bryant build is a test of character - I had noticed the ribs and was thinking 'Hmmmmmm?'

Terry

Thanks guys

I'm working tonight so the tailplane is in the workshop clamped up and I'm keeping everything crossed that it will come out straight !!

I wonder if you have any pictures of your finished rudders, especially the revised ribs - are they slightly curved or straight edged from root to tip ?

I have not looked any further at the plans re next part of the build but I'm glad to see you guys are. Its a tad embarassing to admit I will have to wait for you to resolve all these problems. this is quite an old plan so I guess techniques and methods have moved on a bit. I have a BT Bf 109 part completed and as you have already said that plan is nice to work with.

Thanks again guys

Martin

Posted by Martin Fane on 19/07/2014 21:06:10:

A visit to Cosford today saw some wheels, wood and other bits and pieces added to the preparations for the build. Cought sight of a large chipmunk flying and this one whilst sheltering from a long downpour. A bit bigger than our project but very nice, sorry didn't catch the builder.

tmp_big chippie-1064840677.jpg

Just spotted your picture, that Chippie looks like Steve Spittle's model, it certainly has the same markings and he was almost certainly at Cosford.

John

Thanks, I think the clamps came from Sears in the States (picked them up while on hols, (cant resist a visit to tool shops even if I am on holiday) I only picked up 6, wish I had more though - you can never have enough clamps !!!

On another note, regarding the sprung oleo's I ordered from HK at the end of July, just had an update on the tracking site and they have arrived in the UK (although not delivered to me yet) thats around 70 days, they certainly did take the slow boat from China !!

Edited By Martin Fane on 07/10/2014 06:17:53

Hi Nige the plan, cowl woodpack and canopy are from Traplet. If you mention this build you should get a discount. If you want the cnc cut hinges then get in touch with SLEC. Create a thread in the chip shop section and you are part of the madness
Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 07/10/2014 07:55:37

Hi All

Well, after a nervous wait, the tailplane was unclamped and............................................. great news it was straight so the comment in a previous thread regarding the final sheeting being the most important for true construction is true. I admit to being relieved it worked out. Added the trailing edge shroud groove so just the leading edge to shape.

straight tail plane.jpg

Danny

Re your last, that gave me a nervous moment or two but I was sure I jigged it as recommended and on checking, the lowest rib is angled correctly

rudder check.jpg

Moved onto rudder construction, following all the recommendations and cautions

rudder started 2.jpg

And finally, the tail bits so far, with my trusty reference material in the background - thanks Danny !

tail feathers.jpg

Edited By Martin Fane on 07/10/2014 17:24:28