MFs Chipmunk

Martin Fane

Hi All

Still struggling with the wing body fairings crying, just want to get this done so I can do some interesting stuff in the fuselage.

Here's my interpretation of the aft sections anyway, seems like every photo I look at of the full size makes them look different sad

Interested to see what others think............

Here's the right hand side minus flap

imag0218.jpg

And the left hand side with the flap installed

imag0221.jpg

and from behind

imag0222.jpg

This fits are a little better than the photo's suggest, but the shape ??? well I'm not sure.....indecision

Edited By Martin Fane on 20/12/2014 19:27:44

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Made a little more progress over the holidays - got the battery box assembled and F2 / F4 cut to suit.

imag0235.jpg

Plenty of room for my setup.

I decided to size so that the rear of the box passes slightly through F4, gives me the chance to adjust the position correctly.

imag0236.jpg

And here's what happens when you don't measure twice (at least) and cut / build once !! crying the battery box was too high to clear F3 so had to take the saw to it and position a new base to it. Worked out OK though, plenty big enough for the battery pack.

imag0237.jpg

Fuselage halves not yet joined, onto the elevator, rudder and tail wheel steering control runs now I think.........

I will sit with you John, in the oddball corner ( IC and a box ) party.

I have doubled up F3, as there isn't much left after I cut out for the box.

013.jpg

Martin,

You really are making rapid progress, the rear wing fairings look good to me, they do seem different on every example. I know how much time it soaks up with very little progress.

Alex

Moved onto rudder and elevator servo installation. Lots to think about here regarding interference in the runs, my rear wing mounting is proving a little too close for comfort with regard to the elevator push rod run. I plan to place the servos slightly offset to get the elevator as near to the centreline as possible.

The rudder / tailwheel steering runs will be off centre as illustrated in Dannys build.

This really is where much forethought would have proved beneficial sadAs it is the elevator pushrod will clear the rear wing bolt by 4mm so I will have to cut the bolt to suit - I guess as long as its through the nut its in safety !!

imag0238.jpg

imag0239.jpg

Nothing fixed in yet so if anybody has any suggestions for a better installation........

Did a little on the tailwheel, not much new here compared to Dannys build although I was not sure the suggested 16AWG wire for the leg was enough. However as I could not seem to find a suitable larger wire / tube combination I decided to go with the 16AWG and fix a length of brass tube over it - this sits in the next size up brass tube which is fixed in the hardwood block as a bush. I have yet to cut to length and fix the collet / steering arm.

imag0240_burst001.jpg

The tailwheel is a little oversize for true scale at 35mm.

imag0242.jpg

And a start to the elevator pushrod run

imag0243.jpg

Thanks Danny - its nice to know someone's already resolved the problem smiley

John - I like your solution, I already have a carbon pushrod - unused from another project so will use that for the elevator with the same end fittings as you and Danny suggest. Regarding the rudder, I want to have a go with a closed loop setup so have the thread for a similar setup to Dannys if I can correctly figure out the routing !!

Posted by Danny Fenton on 05/01/2015 20:19:41:

Hi John, how did you deal with connecting to the rudder horn attached to the upper shell whilst joining the two shells?

Cheers

Danny

Not joined the shells yet Danny...i'll let you know later, it might be possible to feed the p/wire in from the rear once connected to rudder, but we'll seethinking

John

• 2 weeks later...

Moved onto the back end control runs, keen to try out the closed loop solution. Used the mick reeves threads to run in the rudder and tailwheel steering controls. Its very tight for space up the back end as well as at the servo arm end but looking like it will work out OK.

imag0246.jpg

imag0247.jpg

imag0248.jpg

imag0249.jpg

And a little light relief with some covering of the tail surfaces.

imag0250.jpg

Edited By Martin Fane on 17/01/2015 16:35:54

Thanks guys - I'm really pleased with the setup although its quite suprising how heavy the tail feels with all this back there - having said that - with the battery box and battery pack trial fitted up front it feels like it balances out. All in all I'm quite suprised how heavy the model feels at this stage.

Regarding the fairings, still not sure they are 100% correct but its good to hear the general concensus is that this is the right sort of shape.

I think I will try to get the tail fixed to the upper shell next - this forum is giving great guidance on the build sequence, not too sure I'd be so far advanced without the help and knowlege gained from it so thanks to all - especially Danny.

Edited By Martin Fane on 17/01/2015 20:06:17

Hi Danny

Do you mean to make the left hand rudder thread span the next former before running in common with the right hand thread ? Or do you mean to change both the rudder and tailwheel left threads ?

That would half the angle I think ?

Nothing is fixed yet so the changes will be no problem to make.

Edited By Martin Fane on 17/01/2015 21:25:53

Edited By Martin Fane on 17/01/2015 21:28:00

Adjusted the routing of the rudder and tail wheel steering threads - the left hand lines are now redirected to the right hand side of the fuselage shell across 2 bulkheads making the change of direction much less of an angle. A check of the friction when pulling the threads at the servo ends seems OK.

I think I'm now in a position to join the upper and lower shells although I find myself checking and rechecking as there's no going back once that join is made !!

imag0255.jpg

I joined the stabilizer to the upper shell after shaping the seats. I must admit the location was determined using the mark one eye ball - lining the tail up with the wing.

Then I installed the vertical stabilizer - the laser level was great in getting this right. No going back now - I hope indecision

imag0251.jpg

The work above was obviously done when her indoors was out !!

Its starting to look like a Chipmunk smiley

imag0254.jpg