MFs Chipmunk

Martin Fane

Moved on to sheeting the right wing panel, used some of my newly aquired techniques to get the TE sanded correctly to follow the rib contour and give the correct flap / aileron shroud angle (I hope !!) Decided to leave the full length shrouds for now.

Then tried a test fit of the aileron and flap bellcrank mounting and pushrod routing. Looks OK but the final test will be actual servo installation.

Now to get the left wing panel drawn - what a shame its not on the plan crying

right wing.jpg

aileron crank.jpg

flap crank.jpg

Hi John

Thanks for the comment. Cap striping is much more fun this way !! although there is one "wonky" one sad

Your build is coming along nicely too.

I thought the servos would go straight in as in the picture but lots of time yet to decide whats best.

I was going to go for 2 aileron and 2 flap servo's but after reading all the thoughts and comments on the forums decided to go with the plan.

Martin

Hi Danny

I decided not to try to build the left wing onto the centre / right panel as I didn't think I could get the dihedral correct whilst building the assembly. I have been test fitting the right and centre to the left as I build the left panel in an attempt to make sure it will all go together OK.

Thanks Nigel, the camera hides all sorts of defects smiley

Managed a little work on the left wing, basic structure built with lots of cross reference to and trail fits of the right wing / centre section. Its a tight fit but seems pretty matched. I had to hold my breath will checking the combined dihedral with the panels joined and the left wing pinned down but looks like its coming out fairly accurately measured at rib 18.

test fit 2.jpg

test fit.jpg

wing tip.jpg

Thats probably it for me this week - just been called by HWMBO and back to work tomorrow crying

Managed to do some more last night - joined the two wing panels, decided to do this before sheeting the upper LE as I wasn't sure about getting the angles and joint correct with the skin on.

The centre structure was fixed to the board and the dihedrals checked. After much measuring and remeasuring I committed to glue and left it overnight setting indecision

On checking this morning the joined structure looks OK with dihedrals just about equal if a bit low, measure 58mm at rib 18 smiley

Then set about completing the LE skinning, TE shrouds and rib caps. I hope to be able to trim the shrouds and fit some 1/64th ply when the flaps and ailerons are set up.

left wing upper.jpg

shroud angle.jpg

Will let it all set before removing and completing the lower surfaces then onto the flaps and ailerons........

Edited By Martin Fane on 21/10/2014 15:20:54

Guys

Thanks for the comments.

Nigel, I got the pins at various shows, not 100% who from but balsa cabin sell them at £3.50 per 50. They are really sharp and nice to use. I think you can see them in use in the Masters build.

Here's a link http://balsacabin.webs.com/accothers.html.

Danny, thanks, no way - my camera takes blurry shots !!

David, difficult to say, I presume you are using the camera icon to paste pictures from your Album ? You need to upload your photo's to your model flying site album. Just name your pictures 1,2,3 etc etc.

There are some user guides on these subjects in the site platform forum.

Edited By Martin Fane on 21/10/2014 21:01:25

Edited By Martin Fane on 21/10/2014 21:02:18

• 2 weeks later...

A week since my last post - where did that go ? Well I have managed some more workshop time and managed to catch up a little.

Took delivery of some tin plate and set about fitting the U/C torsion bar, the two gauges I have (thin and thick) were probably not ideal - I used the thinner as I couldn't cut the thicker sad After reading the debate about the inner end of the torsion bar I managed to fit it as per the plan. Had to revert to finger drilling the hole though ! the bars are fairly tight, used Dannys method to align the oleo stubs. I just hope this stands up to my landings !

oleo stub.jpg

then got the lower wing surfaces sheeted

lower sheeting.jpg

Joined the elevators

elevators joiner.jpg

Then moved onto the flaps and ailerons

flap and aileron.jpg

Made the left hand set in one and separated when complete

left aileron and flap.jpg

Now the fun, setting up the horns and hinges........ back the my reference material (a poor mans spitty) this could take some time .........................

flaps and ailerons.jpg

I could not help but notice the laser cut board parts are not a perfect fit in the inboard flap and aileron pockets - my building skills I assume, not measured up yet but I guess the dimensions of my flap and aileron must be out at these ends although I have used the wood pack parts for assembly (I didn't compare to the plan prior to assembly sad a quick comparison between wing trailing edge and aileron / flap leading edge and things look dimensionally very similar so maybe this is not a major disaster.

A good time to take a break !

inner flap horn.jpg

aileron horn.jpg

Edited By Martin Fane on 30/10/2014 21:01:49

Lovely work Martin, you really are coming along in leaps and bounds, you will have fun with the next bits, saying that you are taking it all in your stride. The additonal triangle section is a nice idea and the small blocks at the trailing edge, little weight for lots of strength.

The hinges end up where they end up, I wouldn't worry too much about where the cut holes are, I had to enlarge and move them about a bit. The hinge on the trailing edge of R1 has to be dremelled out with a dentist bit after chain drilling, sigh....

Cheers

Danny

Nice one Martin. Great idea with the one-piece flap/aileron, I think I'll borrow that.wink

I think that you ought to give more thought to your use of the pins though. Having two colours randomly scattered won't be helping the Poor Man's Spitty-maker's nerves any good. smiley

Edited By Nigel Day on 31/10/2014 16:10:53