MFs Chipmunk

Martin Fane

Had a crack at fitting the flaps and ailerons last weekend but made no progress as I tried to get the fit correct crying 2All in all a fruitless exercise.

Revisited today after thoroughly reading Dannys blog on this subject. I found making the adjustments and fitting the hinges at the dimensions he used gave me a pretty good fit, still a fair bit of fettling required but all in all I'm pleased with the results so far.

I opted to trim back the balsa shrouds and fit some 1/64th ply - this seems to close up the gaps nicely smiley

9.jpg

1.jpg

10.jpg

3.jpg

this picture makes the gap between the flap and shroud appear larger than it actually is

The illustration on the plan of the wing cross section shows Dennis had a large gap

4.jpg

I did come across a little interference at the aileron clevis attachment point, I think caused by my surface ends not being perfectly perpendicular - this did make me look at the dimensions again and it looks to me like the geometry means there is not that much up aileron possible or have I made an error in construction here ????

2.jpg

Down is no problem laugh

5.jpg

Danny

Thanks for you help, without your blog this would have been beyond me.

I know what you mean regarding the piano wire - in out in out in out.........................

What do you think with regard to aileron movement - I see in one of the other build logs the movement is 19mm up - I cant check right now but I guess that is less than the physical maximum allowed by the horn / hinge geometry.

I am glad it's all helping Martin, that was the idea Just hope we can keep the enthusiasm

No, that's all I can get before surfaces hit shrouds. I will probably sand them a little more because the clearances will reduce even more when we add the covering. The geometry will allow more. Interesting no throws shown on the plan. Perhaps we can talk our Airsail chums into divulging their settings?

Cheers

Danny

That's the same from me too Martin et al. I thought I would be a lot further on in the build by now but the week back in the UK put me back and never caught up yet (well that and me doing other things! e.g.Just made the Xmas pud and it has 7 hours to steam! Anybody want any balsa bending?wink 2)

Hope to finish the wing today but won't be sheeted. I'll be happy if the dihedral is matched either side because at the moment the starboard wing and centre section are up in the air and the left wing bottom spar is on the board!! frown!

Terry

Managed to get the flaps and ailerons completed and installed, nothing much new I'm afraid, its all pretty much as seen previously on Danny's build. Not really visible but I incorporated the G10 strips on the flap and aileron trailing edges.

imag0171.jpg

Right aileron drive connection as plan. I have used some plastic tubing as a guide for the rods. 1/64 ply shrouds worked out quite nicely, gap is not perfect but good for me !!

imag0168.jpg

I managed to fit the left flap drive bellcrank in the second bay by moving the flap drive attachment point and cutting a new hole in the wing trailing edge. I couldn't manage to get the flap drive rod for the servo in place in one piece so joined the two halves in the centre section.

imag0170.jpg

Learning loads of new stuff on this build _ nearly time for the fuz smiley

Wow Martin that does look superb! Nice one thumbs up The problem with the piano wire is you have to build it "in" as you go or join it as we both have.

Glad to hear you are learning stuff, that's what the build is for I am hoping the others aren't losing steam disgust

You will enjoy the fus its a doddle after the wings smile p

Cheers

Danny

Back on the Chippie after a short break - interest renewed after a successful bit of building on another project, now desperate to finish the wing off and move onto the fuselage

Here's how I finally connected the aileron bellcrank - I wanted to use a stand off ball link but all the ones I had seemed to have the same manufacturing fault ie the hole for the threaded rod is drilled off centre so the rod will not run true to the control surface angry anyway with the ball link there is plenty of clearance between the operating rods.

imag0176.jpg

ball links.jpg

Then moved onto the aileron and flap servo installation, a bit of trial and error used here to get (hopefully) the correct location clear of the lower wing fairings which I have left off until I come to marry the fuselage and wing.

I stuck on a couple of sticks to simulate the fairing positions

imag0179.jpg

Used a straight edge to ensure the servo output arm is clear of the upper wing skin and so below the fuselage cockpit area floor

imag0178.jpg

I secured a couple of lengths of plastic tube for the operating rods to run in - helps lessen any unwanted motion in the system - secured with foaming gorilla glue.

And finally - where I am at close of play tonight with the servos in position although yet to fully secure. I guess the fuselage will have to wait till till another day............

imag0180.jpg

Waa-haay that looks fantastic Martin! The ball joints is a good idea to lift the rods clear at the crossover point.

For those of you that are really keen there is another hinge point on the full size, midway along the flap and aileron. I am not suggesting you add it but I have been musing over making another 4 hinges from the offcuts of the hinge sheet Maybe too much.......

Looking forward to seeing you tackle that fus

Cheers

Danny

Hi Martin, yes I think the wood at the trailing edge is enough, if you are really concerned you could put some 1/64th ply against the rod to really make sure it cannot work sideways enough to come off

A couple of the holes in the trailing edge on mine got elongated whilst trying to get the rods to clear, so had to block them back in again

Cheers

Danny

Danny

Thanks - thats the lines I was thinking along, I'm quite surprised how easy it is to get the aileron hooked up - good job too considering there will be no access to the bellcrank etc when the wing is covered.

Regarding scale detailing, I can understand your disappointment following all the non scale revelations of the plan but I for one hope you will go for as much detail as possible - its all giving me a great insight smiley

BTW thanks for the ebay seller link for the split rings - shame they only sell by the hundred !!!! I'm trying to find someone who's selling a selection of sizes bundled.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to show I haven't given up here's a progress report - put the wing to one side to make a start on the fuselage. I planked upper and lower shells having read the problems caused by using the sheeting method. Went better than I remember planking going, here's the basic structure taped together and mounted to the wings.

inspiration.jpg

Used Dannys method of wing retention - front and rear bolts

inside cockpit.jpg

The rear wing body fairing takes a bit of sorting - I think have the shape I want now after a little surgery to the G2 former. Not too sure why but it seemed to low for my build even though it is fitted for a good fit along the lower fuselage.

fairing.jpg

I think if a group of completed Chippies get together there may not be 2 of these fairings looking exactly the same !!

And finally, got the main wing body fairing base ply parts installed to the fuselage side wing seats.

wingbody.jpg