MFs Chipmunk

Martin Fane

Thanks for the comments, I'm enjoying this build and learning new tricks all the time. I wonder what sort of timescale for completion do some of you have ?

For those interested, the MR RF4 is a really nice build, no problems that I recall regarding the actual build, all the pre cut parts were good along with the moulded parts and the undercarriage which is a brilliant bit of kit. I would say I'm 2/3 there with it.

Had some issues installing the U/C operating linkages but the build log on RCSB and guidance from Fatscoley helped resolve that. Currently in the process of converting the rudder control from pushrod (which has some play) to a closed loop setup.

Here's a couple of pictures - perhaps a bit of inspiration to those who are tempted !!

rf4 front.jpg

rf4 cockpit.jpg

Well, after a couple of days doing the bit I least like I think I have got the best I will achieve in regard to elevators and rudder, not as good as Dannys but good for me.

This was the elevators part sanded / shaped.

elev part sanded.jpg

I found the ribs pretty much the right size

shapeing elevator.jpg

And completed, there is a small gap of just under a mm between the shroud and the elevator but I'm pretty pleased with the result, hopefully the covering will reduce this a bit.

elev tail complete.jpg

And the rudder, again a small gap

rudder fin complete.jpg

rudder upright.jpg

And my oleoe's arrived from HK - only 75 days !

oleos.jpg

Edited By Martin Fane on 10/10/2014 17:36:24

Hi All

If anybody is interested in obtaining one of the elevator joiners, I spoke to a very nice chap at Flair models today, they were out of stock but he is making some more up. Seems he is happy to sell direct to the public although the website suggests they only supply the trade., quoted £1.50 +PP.

Hi All

Decided I could watch no longer and set about wasting some time before going for the wing build by cutting out and preping all the wing parts. Parts kit seems short of a couple of rib 1 doublers and the center section rib 1 so marked these out for cutting. then joined up the trailing edge parts and centre section B laminated parts.

Note the joiner lurking in the background !

wing bits.jpg

No more excuses so following the guidance in Dannys blog I set out the wing joiner using a couple of rules between the joiner / rib 1 area and the tip rib which was set at the required distance of 2 and 3/4 inches.

joiner setup.jpg

setting dihedral.jpg

This is what my layout suggests is the joiner error

joiner error.jpg

And finally a bit of glue

joiner and lower spar closeup.jpg

joiner and lower spar.jpg

Appreciate any thoughts / comments - have I messed this up ? If so at least there's not too much to take apart at this point.

Think I will relax and enjoy the Guy Richards Spitfire restoration programme recorded on C4 lastnight, coffee and biscuits too of course !!

Edited By Martin Fane on 13/10/2014 10:38:37

Edited By Martin Fane on 13/10/2014 10:43:12

Danny

Whoopps !

Do you think thats worth undoing things for ?

I can see my wing will have a little too much dihedral. I was thinking back to your blog where I thought you were measuring at rib 18, should of concentrated on the plan - I can see its plain as day now where the 2 3/4 is measured at !!!!

Hi Martin, I did originally measure at rib 18, I thought it was 63mm however that was by extrapolating that little drawing on the plan. The little drawing on the plan is WRONG GRRRR!!! if you compare the wing tip profile with the height of rib 18 its very different. So I made a false wing tip to measure the 2 3/4 up against

Sorry should have made it clearer.....

0206 (large).jpg

Cheers

Danny

So after much head scratching trying to figure out the correct distance at rib 18 to give the correct dihedral of 2 3/4 inches at the tip here's what I now think:

Using rib 18 profile it looks like the tip centre line to set the dihedral at is 8mm higher than the bottom of rib 18 lower spar (lower) surface so taking that off 2 3/4 inches gives 62 mm

Setting the straight edge from the joiner to 62mm high at the tip appears to give me 60mm height at rib 18.

And looking back to the joiner the error now shows as Danny suggested.

Any thoughts / comments before I commit to glue crying 2

revised tip measurement.jpg

revised joiner error.jpg

Hi All

So, started assembling the first wing panel as per Danny's master plan, found a couple of ribs slightly undersized so have added a couple of strengthening strips at the LE to rib joints at those locations.

Both leading and training edges are nice and straight. Trial fitting the joiner parts after sanding to shape.

The observant of you may spot my deliberate mistake - don't think it will be of any consequence (I hope.....)

imag0113.jpg

Danny, you identified the upside down TE then !!

And I had prepared and got the correct one ready, got distracted, went back to the workshop and what do you know, I picked up the wrong one and fitted it !!!!

Looks to me like the TE is pretty much symetrical so just a case of re cutting the slots.