MFs Chipmunk

Martin Fane

Advert

Started to have a go at putting the instrument panels together - I'm using Dylans laser cut panels. I could not get myself a decent picture of the instruments printed off so decided on these individual instruments. Still a long way to go but looks promising so far.

The lighting conditions have shown up a blue edge on the instruments - its not there in real life !!

imag0276.jpg

Made a little progress on the instrument panels today, decided not to face the panels with foil or lithoplate so a few coats of sanding sealer later the panels are primed ready for a coat of aluminium paint. In the meantime tried a bit of the "riveting" technique to represent the instrument mounting screws.

The plan is to paint the panel aluminium then in flat black and then scuff it up a bit. Will try to add a few of the switches too

img_0190.jpg

img_0192.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress on the wing finish, having applied a second coat of resin (I now know thats not needed when using peel ply sad) I sanded it to what seemed a flat finish only for an initial primer coat to reveal a not very flat surface at all crying So a bit more sanding and a bit of stopper and more sanding to get to this stage

imag0298.jpg

Then another go with the primer and I'm quite pleased with the surface finish

imag0306.jpg

Also been spending a bit of time on stitching and tapeing - this models using more of the tape than I expected so a call to Mick Reeves models will be needed tomorrow smiley

imag0310.jpg

The wing looks fabulous Martin, remember there are panel lines to go on too so some of the blemishes will get hidden when doing those. Besides there doesn't appear to be a smooth Chipmunk anywhere, 50 + years of students is bound to distort a few sections I am counting on it to hide my undulating wing

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny

Yeah, I have ordered some of MRs panel line tape along with more ribtape, I also have some similar tape from Fighter Aces, not sure if it isn't too thick though for 1/6th scale.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about the panel lines using the tape edge method.