Brown Paper Painting

Hi all, took the good advice on brown paper covering from this forum, and very well pleased with results so far. Thinking ahead, I would like some advice on painting the model with a brush. What is the best masking tape to prevent paint creep, and I have also read many years ago about removing the masking tape whilst paint is still wet ? Any help would be greatfully received. Thanks FB3

Advert

Hi ,

How to paint brown paper ?

little.jpg

pauls trainer.jpg

Large or small planes can be covered with brown paper and them painted ,

And there are plenty of options to chose from all depends on what the model will be used for and its propulsion , ic or electric .

As you can see the method will work on tiny and large models .

The large ic model i used pva to treat the paper and when dry i gave it a 2nd coat to seal it .

The green and brown are Powermax polycoat . the red white and blue are normal enamel paints and the underneath which you can not see in the picture above is yellow rattle can paint which needed primer 1st .

The guillows mustang also green polycoat and normal enamel for the rest .

The Red and white one at the top of the page , the paper was treated to poly C and when dry a 2nd coat of Poly C was used to seal it .

The red paint is rattle can paint and the white is solar film which sticks on very nice with a hot iron but i place a sheet of a4 paper between the iron and film/paint .

And i used low tack clear tape for the lines which was removed before the paint dried .

In all cases i have not had any problems with sagging or wrinkling in the sun light nor peeling cracking it works for me and i prefer it over film as it does not sag in the sun light , but it is slower and more time consuming .

Steve ,

Edited By Stephen Jones on 23/07/2014 00:02:35

I agree with you Mark. Stephen showed me his brown paper covering on one of his Minijets at Greenacres, I'm surprised that we don't see it more often because it's clearly very practical and gives an excellent finish. I'd seen it before on sheeted structures, but never on an open airframe and it clearly works very well, shrinks beautifully, stays tight and gives a super smooth final result.

Posted by woody on 22/07/2014 23:57:19:

I use tamiya masking tape and peel off when touch dry.

Its the best I've found.

me too - I have never had much luck with generic 'masking tapes' until I tried the Tamaya product - define the line with narrow Tamaya which will follow quite a tight curve, then backfill with cheap tape.

The trouble with brush painting models is it's so easy to increase the weight too much whilst getting a perfect finish.

Has anyone used ordinary emulsion paint on brown paper covered models? Those sample pots of colours might be useful.

And has anyone used artists liquid masking fluid ( the rubbery type which peels off ) for models?

Hi Stephen, so far I have covered the fus. And one half of wing top and bottom. My technique may be wrong perhaps ( first time) ? I paint the veneer and B P with pva and water mix. 50/50. Perhaps the veneer only ? The results are much better when dry too. Thanks for the vid offer. Cheers

Could be using too much pva/water on foam wing veneer. Seems to be lifting the veneer in parts, but improves when dry. Thinking of only coating the bp only, and using an old credit card to remove most of the water as per Stephens tip. Cheers