Hatch with Magnets

Mike Hardy

Hi, I am making a small hatch. In the fuselage body I have let in 4, 5mm magnets. In the hatch itself I can use two thin strips of metal or 4 countersunk head screws to engage the magnets, using screws (head flush with the balsa) is going to be easier to adopt but the metal strip will connect with both magnets on each side. Which is the better idea.?

Mike.

Advert

It depends on the magnets...

What I do is to cut out a depression in the surface that just fits the magnet. Rub the magnet well with something abrasive. Then I fill the hole/holes with slow drying epoxy and insert and sink the magnets (the right way up) in the glue and cover them with cling film, plastic, or masking tape.

Assemble the lot. Make sure that the canopy/hatch or whatever is well clamped closed. The magnets will be attracted by their mates and the glue will hold them in their correct position. When set, remove the covering. There should be a thin skin of glue over the magnet, and a tiny gap between the mating magnets. A quick rub to clean up the glue surface is sometimes needed.

I have found that just gluing the back of the magnets will fail sometimes. Putting them in the puddle of glue is a lot stronger.

Does this make sense?

Plummet

I'm surprised a Yorkshireman has suggested doubling up on the magnets over the cheaper methods. teeth 2

I use scraps of soft iron on several models to hold the hatch/canopy & the (cheese)heads of 4BA screws for the cowl of my Jnr 60, never had any problems with any of them. Remember that it's important that the magnets & metal actualy make contact when in place, even thin film of epoxy between them will greatly reduce the pull strength.

Posted by PatMc on 29/07/2014 17:25:41:

I'm surprised a Yorkshireman has suggested doubling up on the magnets over the cheaper methods. teeth 2

I use scraps of soft iron on several models to hold the hatch/canopy & the (cheese)heads of 4BA screws for the cowl of my Jnr 60, never had any problems with any of them. Remember that it's important that the magnets & metal actualy make contact when in place, even thin film of epoxy between them will greatly reduce the pull strength.

Well... It all depends... If I hadn't 'acquired' a stack of tiny neodym magnets some time ago I might think differently. The magnets are more available to me than steel strip. (I would guess that you need something a bit thicker than tin can steel.)

Magnet to steel I think I would agree - they need to be touching.  Magnet to magnet however - it can be too strong for the balsa, and a tiny gap can be good.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 29/07/2014 19:52:48

The soft iron I use has generaly been cut from the blanking bit's removed from the back of PC towers when any extras are fitted but there are plenty of other everyday sources.
The only model I have with magnet to magnet is my EG Pro hatch. I deliberatley left a slight gap & although the hold is good enough for all aeros etc the hatch does sometimes fly off in a bumpy landing.

The story is that apparently I'd shown a bit too much enthusiasm helping my little nephew with his new "Magnetrix" set, its a construction set based on magnetic sticks and ball-bearings, kids can build 'outline' models with it really quickly.
Anywho, when it came to my own birthday, guess what, a Magnetrix set! So, curiosity & all that, turns out each magnetic stick is a short length of soft iron with a 5mm neodym at each end, all held together with a thin plastic coating. This coating split easily with a craft knife, and the magnets can then be pulled off the metal stick.

Consequently, I have a ready supply of 5mm supermagnets!!! so two per catch is fine, even for a Yorkshireman!

Cheers
Phil

PS   Mike: >> Hope I have not started another 'war of the roses'

Nah, Pats on the proper side of the pennines!   

Edited By Phil Green on 29/07/2014 21:43:22

Hi I have used the 4 magnet approach hatch fits nicely and is firm (too firm!!) and does not move about. It is difficult to open any ideas? thought about letting in an M3 nut on the CL and using a screw as a grab. there is no dowel at the moment - do I need a locating dowel?

Mike.

tucano nose hatch in place.jpgtucano nose hatch open.jpg

To go against the grain, I use a peg (front or rear - whichever is most convenient) and (normally) 2 (10mm) magnets in a cross member that latch onto thin tinplate strip epoxied to a matching cross member. Haven't lost a hatch yet..

But there is plenty of time for that.

My Flea Fli uses a single magnet against a vertical strip. The hatch simply slides off. No sign of it coming adrift

Martyn

Posted by Phil Green on 30/07/2014 13:18:02:

But... a good few slope-soarer hatches have been eaten by sheep. Button magnets will pass right through, whereas segments of craft knife could do some damage.

CheersPhil

Fair point Phil. Ingestion by sheep has not been one of my design criterion to date, but now you mention it. I do grind the sharp edges and corners off, but even so I would not want to swallow them personally.