Canadian Lancaster in the UK

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Another little addition to my recounting of scrapping about 30 Mustangs, I was asked to do an oil cooler change and thermostat change on a MK2 Spitfire at Millfield, Northumberland, in 1944. I had to remove the wing fillet to do this- an awful lot of screws. But I had my own secret weapon - a spiral ratchet screwdiver. When lying on the wing with the spars exposed, I noticed a crack in one of the reinforcing gussets. By this time it was 5.15pm and all personell were at dinner. I reported to the Flight Sergeant who was still in his office. He then had a message sent over the tannoy for all fitters and riggers to report back to the flights to check all the 60 Spits on the traming unit . I never let on that it was I who started it or I would have been somewhat unpopular. As a result, all the Spits were declared fit only to be flown to the scrap heap, which they immediately were. We has a little holiday for a few days to compensate until we received repacement aircraft - Spit. MK 9s in good condition, compared to the old ones. which were old and a bit clapped out.

From the BBMF web site..

"

29 August 2014

News articles by date

During a local flight from Durham Tees Valley Airport this morning, the Canadian Lancaster performed a precautionary engine shutdown. The aircraft landed safely without incident. It is now hangared and is undergoing maintenance. Regrettably it will not attend the weekend events and advice will be given regarding other events"

I saw them at W&W at Dunsfold last sat - rather good, not often you get to hear 10x Merlins in air at once

some footage (not mine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moDOsH2WXAs

I really enjoyed W&W - I took my parents along too. the highlight for me was the Canberra - twin turbojet flypast at 200' makes a good noise my Dad enjoyed the Hunter as he'd watched its record-breaking speed trials on the south coast back in the early 50's

hope everyone gets to see the 2x Lancs

Andy

Edited By andyh on 29/08/2014 22:23:27

Posted by andyh on 29/08/2014 22:22:48:

...my Dad enjoyed the Hunter as he'd watched its record-breaking speed trials on the south coast back in the early 50's

Slightly off-topic... but the museum at Tangmere has the Hunter that Nevil Duke flew to break the world speed record near Littlehampton in 1953. Worth a visit if you find yourself down there.

Interesting information about Neville Duke's record breaking Hunter and the fact that it was a gate guardian at Melksham in Wiltshire. My older brother Ron who is 83 lives in Brougton Gifford just outside Melksham . He served an apprenticeship with Hawkers in the 1950's at Kingston and assisted in the manufacture of the red Hunter. Ron was most surprised a year or two ago to notice a red Hunter parked in a field off the B3107 road from Melksham to Trowbridge. I assume it is still there just past the roundabout on the left?

I have just looked on Google map and the place where the Hunter is or was is photographed in 2009 with a helicopter a Wessex I think located in the field. This must have been swapped for the Hunter?

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 30/08/2014 21:45:54

Took a day out to the LAA (light aircraft association) national rally at Sywell today.

With an estimated 400 aircraft in attendance it was an impressive sight.

The day was made all the better when at 3:15 the BBMF Lancaster flew over, just a single low pass down the line of the runway.

Quite unexpected (no public address to advise people), a terrific sight.